Revell BF-110G-4 Update: Now using Cyber Hobby kit....

Daniel460

This does look really good!

I am probably indebted to the likes of you and Nick, who are forging ahead with G-4 custom jobs.................as its about time for Johns conversion to come out, and odds say it may have never happened without guys attempting to scratch their own like this.

Model on! 

Geez thanks Brian. I hope that folks may find something interesting through my threads and may learn something, like I'm slower than a sloth! :)

But I do believe a lot of the fire in the building of the G-4 conversion was started by Russ (Ruzlkampf) he did it with so much passion and fun! Funny, I was just upstairs on the smart TV rereading his thread on the G-4 a gent just brought it up on the group build threads. I went through his build threads numerous times! There's a lot of folks that helped move the conversion forward.  :)

We learn from each other, that's what this is all about.... :thumbsup:

Dan

Geez thanks Brian. I hope that folks may find something interesting through my threads and may learn something, like I'm slower than a sloth! :)

But I do believe a lot of the fire in the building of the G-4 conversion was started by Russ (Ruzlkampf) he did it with so much passion and fun! Funny, I was just upstairs on the smart TV rereading his thread on the G-4 a gent just brought it up on the group build threads. I went through his build threads numerous times! There's a lot of folks that helped move the conversion forward.  :)

We learn from each other, that's what this is all about.... :thumbsup:

Dan

He was a gentleman's gentleman. He was the consummate model maker, and the speed in which he did it and especially how easy he made things look speaks volumes about his talent as a modeler. 

OK, bit of an update. Lets see if I can get this close to done by the end of the year!  :whistle:

So much nicer to be working on the Dragon/CH kit, I enjoy the Revell kits but some of the earlier kits where a chore to build. And when you try to put anything close to "scale" detail in you start opening up the dreaded can of worms.

Put the power plants together along with the gear and under carriage. As with all Dragon/CH kits they are right and left. I mark all my parts with the part number before removing them from the sprue just in case I get them mixed up.  I still need to remove the boot from the landing gear strut. 

lwTv9f.jpg

Started working on the engine cowls.

On the G-4 the lower cowl needs to be opened up. You need to cut out the area between the two openings, (of course I didn't get these pictures :mental: ) but it's pretty straight forward. The piece that I cut out I just shaped it a bit and used it to cover the forward trough in the cowl as it has the same curve.

q58CZD.jpg

When I set the scoop on I just aligned the rear panel lines on the scoop with the edge of the cowl. 

6a66cP.jpg

Some thought's about the scoop. The Vasco/Estanislau 110 C,D,E book notes that there was two sizes to the scoops. So with this E-2 kit I'm not sure which one Dragon has used, it looks like the size of the Herdon G-4. The shape may be off in the front...kind of squared?  I rounded mine off a bit, may go a little more

P70YKq.jpg

Glued on and the cowl shaping started. Made a brass flap for the outlet on the oil cooler. I just glued strip styrene to build up the cowl, worked pretty good. Need to put the four cooling scoops back into the cowl once I finish the shaping.

8CCtGJ.jpg

Pretty close to the spinner at this point. Going to leave it until I get the the UC and engines in to make sure its lined up.

elmILY.jpg

Started working on the fuel tanks. Going to leave them as they are without the angled bottom and the groove. I do have a set of the MDC tanks withe the angled bottom and grooves but I think I will save them for a fighter build. I'm not convinced that all the 110's had them anyway. I did fill in the first groove and cut off the rear tip like the Herdon G-4. I glued .3mm styrene rod in the grooves to represent the weld bead. will need to add the fuel lines and may do something with the fuel cap, the two bumps on the cap aren't right. 

t8ocDF.jpg

Another shot of the tank.

FKEfgS.jpg

Hope that was clear as mud. All the parts that I made for the Revell kit will be used in this kit.

I going into the pit next.....

Comments or questions welcomed.... :thumbsup:

Dan

Thanks for stopping in Nick and Mark. 

I'm getting a few things done in the pit. It's a little tighter to work in then the Revell kit. Not sure if I like the molded detail and the sidewalls in the pit seems to close it in a bit. Doesn't seem like much but started fitting the roll bar. Really tight, had to trim down the side seat supports and then cut down the mounting tabs on the bottom of the seat where it goes into the floor. This allowed me to slide the seat forward a bit to give me the room to get the roll bar in. Still needs a bit of work. Made the radio/radar mount, once the roll bar is close I can make the attaching struts.

Also made a new armor plate behind the seat.

GBbERb.jpg

hvlsib.jpg

Lots more to do but it's so much nicer then the Revell kit..... :thumbsup:

Comments/suggestions welcome! 

Dan

Hi Dan

It's a little tighter to work in then the Revell kit. Not sure if I like the molded detail and the sidewalls in the pit seems to close it in a bit. 

Dan

Always a compromise as the kit plastic is never scale thickness. A friend of mine scratch build an ejection seat and scaled it exactly. He was surprised that it did not fit the kit cockpit until it was pointed out the kit sidewalls are almost 50mm (2 inches on that side of the Atlantic) thick if scaled up. I used the Monogram/Revell 1/48 as a guide, and to me it looks too small again. The joys of scratch building!

IMG_2349.jpg

The radio rack looks really good.

What color scheme do you have planned ?

Happy modeling.

Nick

Hi Dan

Always a compromise as the kit plastic is never scale thickness. A friend of mine scratch build an ejection seat and scaled it exactly. He was surprised that it did not fit the kit cockpit until it was pointed out the kit sidewalls are almost 50mm (2 inches on that side of the Atlantic) thick if scaled up. I used the Monogram/Revell 1/48 as a guide, and to me it looks too small again. The joys of scratch building!

The radio rack looks really good.

What color scheme do you have planned ?

Happy modeling.

Nick

Yep,  there is always a bit of give and take with these kits. That's why I try to build by "eyeballing" or what looks close.... :hmmm: With the rear pit having the side walls then adding the top surround it really closes it up. But in the pilot area there are no added side walls? I'm probably not going to mess with it, just get it done as is.

I was just cleaning up the inner frame for the canopy behind the pilot, why didn't they make the frame the length of the canopy?  :doh:

Little more to do on the radio rack....

Your roll bar is looking great!  :thumbsup:

Not yet picked out a color scheme....

Dan

Edited by Daniel460