Heinkel He-219

SimonCornes

I have the Revell kit but I may get the Z-Kit. It is very nice. The reason is that the completed model is large so I feel that it should show something more. So the engines open is appealing or other details elemements. Now whether or not I can actually open my wallet will be another issue.

Rick

Rick, to be honest, whilst the control cable detail inside the fuselage is incredible I thought the wing rib and spar structure seemed 'clunky', added to which the reviews clearly show quite a bit of flash to clean up. This is not Tamiya quality. Its very daring to go that far but I think ZM get very close to the limits of what can be done with injection moulding. To me it was to much. I know what you mean - a large expanse of airframe so I can see the attraction of added detail. I see that people wanted to buy just the engines when the kit came out. Are there any resin alternatives now? It might still be better to super detail the Revell kit but the lure of ZM may be to much of an itch not to scratch!

Edited by SimonCornes

Just an FYI, the ZM kit, while perhaps a little more accurate than the Revell kit, has it's own accuracy issues as well depending on your viewpoint.  There was a very lengthy thread here where the pros and cons of each kit compared to photos of the real thing were discussed.  

However, both kits look very nice when built, with one having to look really hard to see any differences.  So it just comes down to what each modeler prefers as I don't think you could go wrong with either kit.

And, you only need the Barracuda open cowl flaps if you want to pose them open on your kit, otherwise you can use the kit provided closed cowl flaps :)

The "accuracy" issues ZM has are well minute compared to Revells list.

Its not just a "little". Fuselage section shape, canopy, nacelles, props, landing gear all of which if you want an accurate 219 except the gear are impracticle to fix.

However most are hidden well and things like the Nacelle shapes and fuselage are difficult to visualise.

But they are still there.

The 219's have been discussed to death but an accuracy comparison is not where the Revell 219 is going to win this fight by a looong margin.

Ive got both kits and will build both in fact ive got several ZM kits. Ill also grab the new Revell boxing as well.

Its easy to build and looks like a 219 but its not accurate by a fair stretch.

Rather than deride the ZM kit as a means to justify being happy building Revells kit just build Revells and be happy with what it is.

The "accuracy" issues ZM has are well minute compared to Revells list.

Its not just a "little". Fuselage section shape, canopy, nacelles, props, landing gear all of which if you want an accurate 219 except the gear are impracticle to fix.

However most are hidden well and things like the Nacelle shapes and fuselage are difficult to visualise.

But they are still there.

The 219's have been discussed to death but an accuracy comparison is not where the Revell 219 is going to win this fight by a looong margin.

Ive got both kits and will build both in fact ive got several ZM kits. Ill also grab the new Revell boxing as well.

Its easy to build and looks like a 219 but its not accurate by a fair stretch.

Rather than deride the ZM kit as a means to justify being happy building Revells kit just build Revells and be happy with what it is.

It really is amusing how we, as humans go to such lengths to rationalize our choices by criticizing other options just to make ourselves feel happy in the end about the choice we make.  The ZM kit is overwhelming with extra parts, detail, and it really is the "better" kit if accuracy and detail are what you are after.  But, if you are wanting to avoid getting mired in a potentially lengthy build, just accept the Revell kit for what it is, buy the darn thing and move along.  In the end, both will do just fine, but for very different reasons and for different people.

Guest Clunkmeister

What was said at the start of this thread: Two well done 219s sitting beside each other, one ZM, one Revell, and I couldn't tell the difference between them.

They both looked like twin engined grey spotted owls with whiskers.

Edited by Clunkmeister

The "I can't tell the difference" argument sounds like my wife unsuccessfully trying to differentiate between a Fiat and a Ferrari. That point of view may hold true for you right now, but what happens later when something new is learned, and suddenly the difference becomes apparent? Will it then be necessary to make up some other excuse to justify one's perspective?

From Ian's build thread (posted by "afvmodeller"):

Test01-vi.jpg

Test02-vi.jpg

Revell's windscreen on the left, Zoukei Mura on the right:

_DSC1204-vi.jpg

_DSC1210-vi.jpg

After all the infirmation was carefully considered, I bought the Revell kit because it suits me - not because I claim ignorance of the differences. 

D

Will it then be necessary to make up some other excuse to justify one's perspective?

Let's be fair Darin. No one can argue the differences when place side by side.

Take that away and "I can't tell the difference" becomes more justifiable. :whistle:

Side by side photos wouldn't help someone who hasn't looked closely at the 219.   :blink: