What company has the best P-40 cockpit/photo etch

Dave Pratt

You might check out the Part PE set. My review of it should be somewhere in the LSP review section. It is very extensive and corrects the shallow cockpit depth as well as have a very detailed set of cowl flaps.

The PART P/E set is for the Trumpeter P-40B. It is not suitable for the Hasegawa kits.

Nevertheless, it is superb and I am impressed with the level of engineering involved.

Radu

Crap! Radu is right, I don't know what I was thinking.

For the Hasegawa E, there is a recent resin cockpit, by Avionix/Combat. Eduard makes a bunch'o PE for this one, too. If you go to the GMW or Squadron sites, and do a search for P-40E they list quite a bit.

Definitely check out Part for PE stuff. They don't do as much as Eduard, but their quality and detail is very high. Sort of on a par with Aber for armor.

Hi!

I'd not recommend the Avionix set as the seat has a US harness whereas you need a Sutton one for a Brit Kittyhawk. Moreover, the pictures I saw do not seem to show many differences with the plastic pit. BTW, the plastic parts are accurate and the IP is terrific. It is simply stupid that Hasegawa did not put more separate parts to avoid the simplification linked to the molding process (for the throttle linkages for instance). Nonetheless, when you see what is really visible inside the pit sides you realize quickly that they mainly ask for some additional copper wire details. CMK has just released a similar resin pit set.

The only part that would ask for noticeable improvement is the seat as it is correct but far too simplified: They molded the ribs on the back but forgot the side ones... This is unfortunately quite visible. Moreover, they molded the reinforcement plate in situ whereas a separate part would have been more appropriate. Unofrtunately, the cheap Cutting Edge P-40 seat is OOP for ages...

With regard to Eduard P-40E interior sets, I consider they do not offer terrific value for their price. They mainly give the seat, the belts and some stencils. However, as usual, the photoetched fret they use for the seat is too thin to allow easy assembly of the seat. Moreover, this does not give you the thick rod welded on the seat edges and glueing a wire on the photoetched part to simulate this would be a pure nightmare...

Again a resin seat would be a cheap and easy way to update the pit... Otherwise, changing this will ask for some modelling hours to build a new seat or to update the plastic one (that option is far from easy).

HTH

Thierry

Is it worth it if I take a look at the seat? (I am making various P-40 pattern parts at the moment anyway - If so, then can someone point me in the right direction for accurate technical seat data?).

Cheers

Derek