Hurricanes over Duxford

PhilB

I spent the day yesterday at the Battle of Britain airshow at Duxford.

The biggest display of the day was sixteen Spitfires in the air at the same time. I didn't even attempt to take any pictures of that!

It was just too awesome to let my crappy photography do it justice so I will order the professional video once its done.

I have to say that they had a minutes silence in remembrance to the fallen which was ended by 4 Hawks of 19 Squadron doing a flypast

in which one peeled off for the "missing man" formation, this was then immediately followed by a low pass of all sixteen spits in 4 formations of 4.

I have to admit that being a Brit and an aviation enthusiast it was a bit of a choker!

But as a Hurricane fan they had 5 of the 6 airworthy Hurricanes in the UK in the air so for all you Hurri fans I took some piccies which may be of interest.

The BoB memorial Hurricane flew with the Lancaster and Spit and didn't land but there were 4 others which flew together which was a very rare sight indeed:

P9051659.jpg

Hurricane IIB

P9051656.jpg

Sea Hurricane IB

P9051655.jpg

Hurricane I

P9051658.jpg

Hurricane XIIa

This is a rare sight. Four Hurricanes in the air at the same time:

P9051716.jpg

P9051717.jpg

P9051718.jpg

P9051723.jpg

P9051724.jpg

P9051720.jpg

Aaaaah it got the blood going!

Hoped you liked the pictures.

Phil

OOPS!

Almost forgot.

Any of you have a Tamiya IX Spit and are wondering about a scheme?

Well how about this:

P9051742.jpg

All you need is some foil!!!! :speak_cool:

Phil

Poor thing looks undressed without paint...

Thanks Phil... great pics and It must have been an amazing sight (and sound) to experience ! I envy you !!

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks Phil... great pics and It must have been an amazing sight (and sound) to experience ! I envy you !!

Cheers

Vaughn

I'm wondering whether it's actually silver paint, as it doesn't look quite right for natural aluminium to my eye. I could be wrong, but I know the real things were painted in high-speed silver, rather than left natural metal.

Kev

I'm wondering whether it's actually silver paint, as it doesn't look quite right for natural aluminium to my eye. I could be wrong, but I know the real things were painted in high-speed silver, rather than left natural metal.

Kev

I think you are right Kev.

This one is owned by the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

OOPS!

Almost forgot.

Any of you have a Tamiya IX Spit and are wondering about a scheme?

Well how about this:

P9051742.jpg

All you need is some foil!!!! :speak_cool:

Phil

Nice picture Phil. Not quite sure about foiling this one, however, I do see a 1/24 scale Spitfire Vc (Tropical) in RAAF natural metal finish in my future! (I have the Airfic kit, but is this better than the Trumpeter equvielant?).

Cheers

Derek

This is a rare sight. Four Hurricanes in the air at the same time:

P9051723.jpg

Aaaaah it got the blood going!

Hoped you liked the pictures.

Phil

Very rare indeed Phil - Thank you for posting these pictures. I love Duxford, and I love Hurricanes - I think that have that something in their character that the iconic Spitfire lacks, which is why I like them a little more! :speak_cool:

Derek

Very rare indeed Phil - Thank you for posting these pictures. I love Duxford, and I love Hurricanes - I think that have that something in their character that the iconic Spitfire lacks, which is why I like them a little more! :speak_cool:

Derek

I totally agree!

Whilst we are on the subject, I've always wondered about this scheme.

post-13803-1283762242.jpg

Apparently this is a XIX and it was also at the Flying Legends and the guy always gives it the real "full beans" whenever he displays.

Is this an Aussie scheme or RAF PTO?

Either way I love the artwork.

Phil.

I totally agree!

Whilst we are on the subject, I've always wondered about this scheme.

post-13803-1283762242.jpg

Apparently this is a XIX and it was also at the Flying Legends and the guy always gives it the real "full beans" whenever he displays.

Is this an Aussie scheme or RAF PTO?

Either way I love the artwork.

Phil.

I'm not an expert on these sort of things Phil, but I think that this is an RAF SEAC colour scheme, so (as I do not know the Sqn) it could have operated anywhere from India to Singapore?

HTH

Derek

Wonderful show, Phil. Lovely pictures, and you called in for a high ceiling to boot! It must have just put a smile on your face to be in attendance during the presentations.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Vaughn.

I got some good shots of the BoB memorial flight Lancaster so you and I have seen the only two flying one's left!

I'm not an expert on these sort of things Phil, but I think that this is an RAF SEAC colour scheme, so (as I do not know the Sqn) it could have operated anywhere from India to Singapore?

Thanks Derek, I really love those Griffon engined Spits, pretty brutal things in speed and power, great noise too!

Wonderful show, Phil. Lovely pictures, and you called in for a high ceiling to boot! It must have just put a smile on your face to be in attendance during the presentations.

It was a real privelige. I don't know if I'll ever see 16 Spits in the air again.

I've just pre-ordered the professional DVD so I can relive it all over again.(and again, and again.........)

Talking about high ceilings, the weather was pretty good.

There were three guys who really pushed the ceiling:

First was this Belgian F-16 from 349(F) Squadron BAF at Kleine Brogel. He made a lot of noise and was stunning in his display.

It had an amazing scheme and it was pretty hard to capture on the camera as it was a bit overcast at the time and he was so fast

How would you like to try and mask that lot!:

P9051693.jpg

The next was this guy. The Bearcat lives at Duxford. I didn't think piston engined aircraft could go so fast.

If you are ever lucky enough to be at Duxford for a show and this guy comes out, hold on to your hat!

Its full throttle all the way!:

P9051690.jpg

Likewise this one. Its simply awesome!

P9051583.jpg

I also managed to get a lot of detailed pictures of this which I'll be sending to Brian to help him with his build over in the BoB group build.

She was the exact opposite of the others, very smooth and graceful but a good show with some nice aerobatics.

P9051598.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Phil