1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Thanks again for your kind words regarding the finished model folks... it is very much appreciated and it seems my efforts were worthwhile.

Once again a huge thank you to the mods and LSP team who ran this GB - I found it great fun and it was a good opportunity to share (and steal!) some other techniques along the way. It seemed to fly past very quickly, but as the old saying goes... 'time flies when you're having fun', and I think we all did!  :thumbsup:

Tom

There isn't much I can add that hasn't already been said by others.

An amazing job in every way and in every modeler skill set.

Scratchbuilding, detailing, fit and finish; just looks superb in every aspect.

Some day I'll have to go back through and read the thread all over again, but in one sitting.

Thanks for all you posted of the build,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

i realized too late this build was already at its final stage, was following it from time to time, and knowing what vacform building is, i must say that this is absolutely one of the most stunning results i've ever seen.

My hat's off to you Tom, you are truly an artist, i wish i was able to handle a vac the way you're doing, just superb.

regards,

Jack.

i realized too late this build was already at its final stage, was following it from time to time, and knowing what vacform building is, i must say that this is absolutely one of the most stunning results i've ever seen.

My hat's off to you Tom, you are truly an artist, i wish i was able to handle a vac the way you're doing, just superb.

regards,

Jack.

That's very kind, Jack, and thank you.

It sounds as if you've got a bit of vacform experience, but I've said this many many times, there's no special skill involved with these models at all; you just have to approach them differently to injection moulded kits.

There's a lot more trial and error, a lot more scratch building required and a lot more filling and sanding, but none of the above is beyond a reasonably competent modeller.

I think the sad thing about vacforms is many see them as impossible and not worth bothering with, but very few actually tackle that problem head on and give one a go. There's loads of cheap vacs on auction sites that are ideal for practising on, and then when you've mastered the basics you can build the big 'uns like this Halifax project.

However, they're certainly not for everyone and I appreciate that. They do take a lot longer, and some people have limited time at the bench that they'd rather spend building injection kits and actually seeing some progress!

One thing I would say though is the way kits such as these expand your skill base... You're forced to learn and try new things all of the time. I'd never have thought I'd master moulding my own transparencies for example. I've got scribing down to a fine art now. I've learnt how to spray on my own markings. Resin casting is next on my list to learn.

I do have a little chuckle to myself on occasions when I read people moaning about a part on Tamigawa's latest release not fitting by a mm or two, and god forbid, having to get the filler out... these people should not attempt vacforms!

But each to their own and all that...

I'm in the latter stages of research and gathering resources for my next project... which is going to be a 1/32nd scale Short Stirling. I'm pretty much settled on a MkIV glider tug with invasion stripes as seen on June 6th 1944. I've ordered the kit and it's currently being pulled for me. I've four Revell Beaufighter engines and props, as well a few other detail parts so when it arrives I'll be good to go... stand by for a WIP in the not too distant future.

Tom

did I mention that this is awesome?  Looks fantastic mate!!!

re: resin casting, I just got into it as well.  It's quite easy once you figure it out. May I suggest one of Sylmasta's starter kits - £30 quid a pop. They are usually at the Nats and the larger model shows.  Well worth it..

anyway, the model looks superb, looking forward to checking it out in the flesh