Tamiya Spitfires- HF VII and VIII

BloorwestSiR

Love the idea of bending the flight stand!

How are you attaching it to the plane - using the slipper tank? I see it there on the left - Im struggling to work out how to do it without using the tank on my Spitfire VIII too...

Thanks Chris! I think if you drill a small hole in the lower wing and securely attach a nut there you should be able to get away with not using the slipper tank. I used the same approach for mounting my X-15. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the cockpit above.

Carl

Nice working on doing just enough to the Merlin to hang the cowlings and prop on. I'm glad you included some close up of the Merlin as now that I have a few more Tamiya Spitfires in the stash, the next one down the road will be buttoned up for change. Nice work on the stand - looks so much better with the even bend

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! It does speed things up when you can leave stuff off knowing it won't be seen. Plus I've got a couple other Spitfires where I have painted and assembled everything.

For the HF VII, I went ahead and started the assembly of the full engine.

I built it up into subassemblies to ease the painting process.

IMG_20170305_213100.jpg

IMG_20170305_214357.jpg

IMG_20170305_215703.jpg

I used the Barracudacast rocker covers that have the Rolls Royce nameplate on them.

The engine cradle and cowl panel frames were assembled and painted next.

IMG_20170309_222421.jpg

The rocker covers with the name badge really makes quite a difference at least to a guy who used to play around with engines back in his very younger days. And those tail flying surfaces really looks like a miniature assembly line. Sure hope you know which ones goes to which aircraft :hmmm: 

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm back with an update.

I've assembled and painted the props.

IMG_20170329_214347.jpg

I did run into an odd issue though. I have three Tamiya Spitfires on the bench but...

... assembled four props! Guess I'll save the spare for a future build. Still don't know where it came from though.

IMG_20170330_214019.jpg

Once I had the black painted, I masked off and did the tips in yellow.

IMG_20170330_221004.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Super work on the Four Props and with only three Spits under way, that mysterious fourth just might be knocking at the door.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Carl,

your props are certainly nicely painted, even though you seem to have gained one somehow. Looking a the four of them, one seems to have a completely different hub. Odds are that's the black sheep of the lot. :hmmm: 

Joel