MiG-21UM 1/32 Trumpeter

Dear LSP community. I have been lurking around the forum here for a while. Finally I got around to photographing and sharing my first RFI post. This is the Trumpeter 1/32 Scale MiG-21UM in Czech Air Force colors.

The model is pretty much out of the box. I had the Verlinden set, but its pretty useless if you ask me. The seats are undersized so I used the photo-etched parts only. The other goodies included Quickboost air scoops and pitot and AOA sensor. The rest is as in the box with the ejection seats heavily modified using all kinds of material. Not 100% accurate but a bit better than in the box version. The markings for this CzAF jet are a combination of kit decals (stencils) my own masks (national Insignia, tail art, serial number) and decals (the little guy on the front) that I had cut and printed locally.

The model was "riveted" using RB Productions Rivet-R according to drawings published in the WWP and 4+ publications.

Paints Used: ALCLADII, Gunze H, Vallejo, Future and I used Dark wash from Sira Hobby and my own custom mix of oil paints.

:sorry: A word of caution for the MiG-21 experts: I did not modify the shape inaccuracies the kit has.  I know they are plentiful, but I just did not have the nerves to do the changes. It does look like a MiG-21UM to me. Yes a sinful approach, and yes I did spend quite some time working on the MiG-21 and other CzAF aircraft but this still did not convince me that the model needed to be modified, as it was a question of forever parking the project to the shelf of doom, or just soldier on and finish the kit as is the best way I can.  :whistle:

Photos are a mix of white and black background as I was trying to see what works best, so I apologize for the non-uniformity of the images. 

Cheers, Jarda Hajecek

IMG_20150409_230713_edit_zpsdmhgeqko.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsnqdnb8xc.jpg

IMG_20150409_230750_edit_zps0ahewe4g.jpgIMG_0318_zpsdr9myktd.jpgIMG_0319_zpsjtajy323.jpgIMG_0311_zpsi80gjg0h.jpgIMG_0320_zpsz1tauusv.jpgIMG_0316_zpss2semdid.jpgIMG_0308_zpsyncgzo2r.jpg

:sorry: A word of caution for the MiG-21 experts: I did not modify the shape inaccuracies the kit has.  I know they are plentiful, but I just did not have the nerves to do the changes. It does look like a MiG-21UM to me. Yes a sinful approach, and yes I did spend quite some time working on the MiG-21 and other CzAF aircraft but this still did not convince me that the model needed to be modified, as it was a question of forever parking the project to the shelf of doom, or just soldier on and finish the kit as is the best way I can.  :whistle:

Jarda, just one remark:

Why do you apologize for having built this wonderful kit and having fun doing it???

Ofcourse there are "experts" on this kit (as there are for many others.......) and probably they would indeed have some comments, justified or not, but the main purpose of building such a kit is because you love doing it and i really like what i'm seeing as end result, well done

Jack.

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Lovely build, Jada! I personally prefer the images on the light background, I think. Both sets look great, though, and I'd love to publish them on the website if you'd permit me.

Kev

Kev, I would be honored if you decide to publish the model on the website. As far as the photos go, I do also prefer the light background. The black has something to it in terms of contrast as the model does stand out more, however it is pretty stark I agree.

Jarda, just one remark:

Why do you apologize for having built this wonderful kit and having fun doing it???

Ofcourse there are "experts" on this kit (as there are for many others.......) and probably they would indeed have some comments, justified or not, but the main purpose of building such a kit is because you love doing it and i really like what i'm seeing as end result, well done

Jack.

Jack I apologize if the note came out so serious. I was just pretty much jokingly adding the comment to prevent a flame of sort that may happen sometimes over how bad some kits are. However I do realize that I tend to be a bit sarcastic and have a twisted sense of humor that sometimes does not translate well. Of course I welcome all comments and criticism as that makes us improve from kit to kit as we do need to take the hobby at least a little bit serious but also keep it fun. I mean we all are striving our best to build scale replicas of our favorite subjects, hence we should take it seriously enough to dedicate those hours and skills to the build and on the other side keep that fun factor in the process. So enough of me ranting on my soap box, please dont take me too seriously :0)

Cheers!

Jaroslav my friend! Beautiful finish buddy! I personally prefer the black background makes the painting and colors show nicer but thts just my opinion. How is everything how's work? You back around the area soon?

Take care and stay in touch

Karim