How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

On the plus side, the pilots console and center console are pretty similar between the A-6 and EA-6. Going up the back it gets different. It's been a looooooong time, but I recall the sides having little more than insulation and a map case, as well as the ECS vents. If you have the old monogram Prowler they did a good job capturing it.

I won't post photos from the previously mentioned books to respect the copyright, but they do a good job of showing the areas. I've looked through my own photos for my build and have struggled to find the same details, so I know exactly what you're struggling with!

-Peter

First decal test fit:

IMG_6406a.jpg

IMG_6407a.jpg

As I didn't have a scan of any existing decals, I had to work out everything based on rather bad quality photographs and an old 72nd scale model I've built 12 years ago or so. The panther head needs some more adjustments, but in general, I am rather pleased with the result so far. 

I would have loved to used masks for the bigger elements, but it seems that nobody offers custom made masks anymore... having the whole bunch of decals printed in good quality will probably be rather expensive. 

I would have loved to used masks for the bigger elements, but it seems that nobody offers custom made masks anymore...

Have you talked to Randy at Stencil Pal (sluggo on here)? He does custom masks, and has recently helped out Brian and others. Might be worth making contact with him.

Kev

Thank you all for your kind comments! :)

Have you talked to Randy at Stencil Pal (sluggo on here)? He does custom masks, and has recently helped out Brian and others. Might be worth making contact with him.

Kev

Hi Kev, no, I haven't - I wasn't aware he does custom masks. I will contact him - thanks a lot for the hint!

Thank you all for your kind comments! :)

Hi Kev, no, I haven't - I wasn't aware he does custom masks. I will contact him - thanks a lot for the hint!

Indeed..................Randy can get you this kind of stuff for sure. Depending on what you want or how "photo like" it needs to be. PM him, he can cut all SORTS of neat things for you like this.    

This is really looking splendid...........................Id LOVE to have and really HOPE someone comes out with the EA-6B in kit form.   Talk to Randy I think he might be able to make your life a lot easier for this kind of stuff.

Added the 'football' the day before yesterday - and I'll rip it off again one of these days. 

IMG_6425a.jpg

Seen from side, everything looks fine, but the whole thing is too narrow. Allthumbs was so kind to help me with additional reference material which I have used to modify my drawings - the new version will be built next week. Learning by doing! :)

Thank you Derek and Jim! :)

As I already announced last time, I ripped off the old football and started a new one after preparing a new set of drawings for it. A big 'Thank You!' again to Allthumbs who helped me with some very useful drawings and photos. So, here comes the new skeleton and a comparison with the old football (which was too narrow and too flat seen from top):

IMG_6478a.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg