1/32 F-4G & F-4E decals

jmel

I don't know if it will be ready for the Nationals, but I do have plans to release the Fuels tank shortly there after.   So don't be discouraged......what is that stupid song....don't worry,be happy......   I have been in the shop to long!

Great to see all of the interest, and the profiles really look fantastic Jake.  

Edited by ghatherly

Plans changed, I came up with a simple way to cast these and I will have them ready very soon.  Just need to make directions and some sets.   Since I have never seen a Geasel without one, I am going to include a tank with the weasel conversion kit.   It will be sold as a separate item for the F-4E and the F-15 crowd. See the vendor section for pricing.

DSCN3465_zps8d0c2766.jpg

DSCN3464_zps8f8235de.jpg

DSCN3468_zpsb40444d9.jpg

thanks, Gary

GT Resin Products

Edited by ghatherly

• 3 weeks later...

I'm building the same jet right now.  You'll need to add the slat kit to your jet, to include the outer wings and the slat actuator/fairings under the wings.  No wing strap alongside the bottom of the jet.  You'll also need to add the AN/ARN-101 stuff into the cockpit and the exterior (LORAN antenna on the spine and static discharger wicks on the vertical stab).  Lastly, add the TISEO to the left wing leading edge.

Check out The Modern Phantom Guide for specific pics of the ARN-101 mods.

Jake

Guest Smitty44

So Jake I have a question, if I may? In our F-4 book it states that F-4E's came off the line with slats starting at F-4E 71-0237 and earlier aircraft were later retrofitted with slats. Do you know what year this retro fitting was done? I am wanting to do F-4E 69-255 from the 22nd TFS, Netherlands as she was in 1976 for the Bi Centenial. Thanks in advance! Smitty

The slats were introduced in the early 1970s, but it took a bit of time for all surviving examples to receive the retrofit.  By '76, I'd be comfortable adding the slats to your model.

Jake

Guest Smitty44

The slats were introduced in the early 1970s, but it took a bit of time for all surviving examples to receive the retrofit.  By '76, I'd be comfortable adding the slats to your model.

Jake

I dont know Jake, here she is. What do you think?   http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sharkinman44/d4c-118012-12.jpg   I have one of your sheets and I plan on doing that Oregon ANG bird soon also, and hope to grab lots of these new goodie for sure!  See below, I just figure out how to post pics..

Edited by Smitty44

d4c-118012-12.jpg

That's a "hard wing" Smitty. OOB Tamiya wing.

The LES slat retrofit was accomplished during depot maintenance and because of the 3-4 year interval between such deep overhauls took until at least 1976 to complete. Some mods may have been done on-base during Phased Maintenance Inspections.

Some beautiful Gunter Gronstein pics of the Bitburg jets dated May 1976... Scroll down a bit and there are a bunch more...

http://flugzeugbilder.de/search4.cgi?stype=actype&tr=338&srng=2&toprange=&srch=McDonnell+Douglas+F-4E+Phantom+II&offset=275&range=25

Just checked my notes (again) and there's a discrepancy - John "Mr Maintenance" Harty at McAir told me, a long time ago, that the last slats were fitted on 6 April 1976. That's either a typo which should read 6 April 1977, or the last set of mod parts was delivered by McDonnell-Douglas in April 1976.

Either way, the Bitburg jet is a "hard wing". Now to figure out those dates... don't you love it when an innocent question opens up a whole research can of worms!?

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Guest Smitty44

Either way, the Bitburg jet is a "hard wing". Now to figure out those dates... don't you love it when an innocent question opens up a whole research can of worms!?

Tony

Ya but what can you do with an F-4? There are other aircraft I might not be as concerned about getting just right, but with Jake's book in hand and those beautiful photos you just linked I am falling in love with F-4's all over again. I really can't wait to do a "G"!

Ya but what can you do with an F-4? There are other aircraft I might not be as concerned about getting just right, but with Jake's book in hand and those beautiful photos you just linked I am falling in love with F-4's all over again. I really can't wait to do a "G"!

And note the "pre-shading" (he says very mischievously)

That's how a lot of jets looked in USAFE, albeit with a bit more wear 'n' tear when I saw them anyway. Yes, we all know that some looked a bit knackered too, and some in need of *extensive* love in the paint shop, but the interesting markings were usually daubed on smarter examples as units put up their best jets for "meets", air shows and so forth.

Tony

Guest Smitty44

That's definitely a hard wing, Smitty, as Tony points out.  It's a great looking scheme and would be gorgeous in 1/32!

Thanks guys I appreciate the help, and Jake thanks for all you hard work that feeds my addiction so well!