1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

Rick K

Hasegawa's 1:32 P47D  "Slick Chick" 368FG/395FS.  Slick Chick will be OOB with exception of belts/wheels/blast tubes and some scratch built M10 bazookas.

2e6cb48e-a906-453c-a45c-1f5bd6a97342.jpg

I started this as a Jug double build last March 2013.  Slick Chick took a back seat to the Russian Jug (WIP and Finished) as I wanted to figure out the M10 Bazooka build.  Just was not happy with the bazookas I raided from my Trumpy P47N.  I have found a build solution for the M10's so here we go.  Some images will look familiar for the Double Jug thread, enjoy catching up and new updates.

Aftermarket items include:

Eduard Belts for Slick Chick

Barracuda Wheel set

Hasegawa brass Blast Tubes

Kits World decals for Slick Chick

I put "Slick Chick" in the bin to work on the Revell Bf109G6 late August.

IMG_5216.jpg

Now she's on the prowl and is looking for a party.

IMG_5215.jpg

Follow these threads and catch up on "Slick Chick" WIP.

P47DryFit07-1.jpg

General fit seems pretty good with no issues projected on seams, wing roots...however

P47DryFit061.jpg

ENGINE MOUNTS

During test fit a glaring issue was the poor fit of the cowling.  Basically it is the complete engine/cowling fitting on the fuselage mount.

P47DryFit05copy.jpg

off by about 1mm

THE PIT

Pit is OOB with exception of Eduard PE Belts.  Multiple passes of setting solution needed to get the IP decal to settle.

1b8405ab-9407-4acd-b0e8-7db91f2a775f.jpg

04EduardTub.jpg

FIXING HIDEOUS

Replacing the really thick hideous gunsight..

01GunsightReplace.jpg

Cut from 0.13mm clear styrene, scored then folded.

02GunsightReplace.jpg

Color me happy.  Paint crash pad and all done.  Need to reset the control stick...it's backwards. 

Edited by Rick K

THE DOCTOR IS IN

02_EngineMount.jpg

carefully removing the engine mount after fuselage is glued and cured, the one piece canopy (I'm using the two piece option for both final builds) is very handy to protect the pit during surgery...

03_EngineMount.jpg

using 1.6mm styrene angle 3 pieces are cut and glued, port and starboard sides are easy to position however, the critical bottom piece is dropped 1mm.

09_EngineMount.jpg

initial test fit (with complete engine parts) shows an acceptable fit...

04_EngineMount.jpg

a final test fit of engine mount then...

05_EngineMount.jpg

add a .05mm styrene card placed to recapture space lost from the "saw off" and give the repositioned engine mount some glue area...

06_EngineMount.jpg

engine mount positioned and glued...

07_EngineMount.jpg

styrene card shows "saw off" recovery...

10_EngineMount.jpg

and the final fit is good...

08_EngineMount.jpg

ORDINANCE PLEASE

Taking the kit supplied bombs and giving them the Eduard PE Treatment.  Will also mount bazookas borrowed from my Trumpy P47N.

01BombCompare.jpg

500lb GP bomb.  Right - out of box kit bomb.  Left - PE (brass) fins and front/rear fuse added, also painted with Mr Surfacer 500 then stippled with short brush for texture...

02BombCompare.jpg

Fuse detail.  Left - brass PE fuse added, Right - bomb is kit Out Of Box...

05BombCompare.jpg

Rear view with new fins and fuse, the fin is one piece folded over a dozen times...

04BombCompare.jpg

Detail is much improved...

03BombCompare.jpg

Textured surface (left bomb) will show up better when painted.

MORE BOMBS

Bombs_ODPainted.jpg

Bombs for "Slick Chick" painted OD.  Texture is hard to see in this pic, but I am happy with results.  Yeah, more dust!  Not sure if yellow ID stripes will be added. 

BAZOOKAS

Bazooka01_LeadWire.jpg

The bazookas are from a Trumpy P47N.  Using flat lead wire (UMM-USA FLW103 Flat Lead Wires 1.0 X 0.3mm) and rivet tool I enhanced the detail on the tubes.  The difference is markable.

Bazooka02_LeadWire.jpg

The painted bazooka (black then OD) shows good detail otherwise lost.

After taking a long look at these I just was not happy.  The lead wire certainly enhanced the M10 Bazookas.  However, a closer look these were just a solid piece of plastic in the shape of tubes.

After seeing the beautiful efforts by alaninaustria on his M10 Bazookas I am inspired to scratch build the M10 bazookas.  Starting styrene tube 4.8mm dia I cut 6 tubes to size and glued with Tamiya Thin Cement. 

M10_Bazooka01.jpg

M10_Bazooka02.jpg

With a Dremel shaping bit I carefully thinned the walls of each tube.

M10_Bazooka03.jpg

The set on the left had the walls thinned while the set on the right is on deck for some thin wall treatment.

A classic "Rick" build! I am thankful for your hint on how to correct the engine mount on a Hasegawa P-47. I also owe you due respect for your way to get the bombs some structure by stippling them with Gunze Surfacer! Did so on my ZM Skyraider build and love it!

201403021_02.jpg

(Some of the decals still are wet)

Great WIP on your Slick Chick, Rick!

A classic "Rick" build! I am thankful for your hint on how to correct the engine mount on a Hasegawa P-47. I also owe you due respect for your way to get the bombs some structure by stippling them with Gunze Surfacer! Did so on my ZM Skyraider build and love it!

201403021_02.jpg

(Some of the decals still are wet)

Great WIP on your Slick Chick, Rick!

Thank you Thomas.  Things I have learned through the magic of technology far outweigh what I have contributed.

Very nice bazooka tubes ! Your ordnance looks great.

I'm also building the same P-47D, Slick Chick. But fortunately, i was on the other paint scheme (the first one, i believe, with the red/black cowl flaps and unpainted dorsal fin and windscreen). So we wont build the same aircraft !

And mine is a trumpeter, i thought that the fit was not very good on the trumpy, but i can see that the hasegawa is not 100% perfect either. Thanks for the cowling fitting tip !

Edited by Zero77

• 2 months later...