"Old Revell" Kiwi Corsair ; FINISHED

Allok

• 3 weeks later...
The "white markings" in front of the canopy you are referring to are no doubt the sealing tape used on panel lines. Oil used to seep from the engine through the panel lines and cover the canopy practically blind the pilot. So in the field, they taped over the joints.

The amount of taping done varied by plane, so you need to use the photos of which ever plane you want to model to get it right.

Perhaps oil too, but mostly fuel, as there's a large (100 Gal), fuel tank located right there.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Gents.

If you liked my Corsair, you're gonna love this.(My inspiration)

The old Revell kits are really very buildable and a great platform for practicing a bit of scratch-building.

I've still got a couple left in the stash but ultimately, newer kits are a lot less work and I currently don't have the time to do these kinds of projects.

Hi Guys

Keith, Nice build, I have the Revell F4U also to build at some later time.

Keith in reading through your build, and your painting just a little note:

All FG-1D's were delivered in overall Glossy Sea Blue and they did see service

in the Pacific theatre (only 70 odd were ordered). All surviving FG-1D's flew back to New Zealand

in/around October 1945.

They were initally in storage at Ardmore, when in 1946, some twenty odd were refurbished

and sent to Japan as part of J Force (British Occupation Force) where they remained till

1948 and (yes this will make you cry) they were heaped at the end of the airfild

and torched :)

All other F4U-1's (including initial delivery of F4U-1D's) were delived in the standard USN 4 tone scheme,

some received various types of re-paints and later F4U-1D's, were delivered in overall Glossy Sea Blue.

On the Warbird circuit in New Zealand there is an original RNZAF FG-1D flying (yes I have seen it)

which is painted to look like a F4U-1

Warbird Corsair

Regards

Alan

On the Warbird circuit in New Zealand there is an original RNZAF FG-1D flying (yes I have seen it)

which is painted to look like a F4U-1

And this is why no-one should use restored aircraft as refference. :)

My model should still reasonably accurately depict NZ5641?

And this is why no-one should use restored aircraft as refference. :oops:

My model should still reasonably accurately depict NZ5641?

Hi keith

You did well in building your model to depict an FG-1D

shape and minor detail wise (eg the little fairing on the tail wheel

gear covers)

The only issue is that all FG-1D's were Overall Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) ( albeit

somewhat faded after service in the Pacific)

It's possible that NZ6541 could have been re-painted upon arrival back in NZ

but given the history, it appears that it arrived back in NZ October 1945 and

went straight in to storage at Rukuhia the same month.

Other than a possible repaint the next previous "41" airframe was 5541 an F4U-1D,

which only flew at Ardmore , Auckland and quite probably overall GSB

Next "41" was 5441 an F4U-1D whch served in the Pacific (Espiritu Santos) may have

have been USN 4 tone and possible Overall GSB.

The FG-1D and F4U-1D were esentially same design, different manufacturers.

Possibly easiest would be to convert the 6 in 5641 to a 4 as in 5441 and it's

sorted.

Or leave as is and not worry about it, and put it down to experience :popcorn:

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

• 6 months later...

Cheers boys.

I'm a big fan of the Group Builds and this one was a heap of fun, as was the kit. I just wish I had more time to join in these days.

Actually, this plane was taken out of the cabinet over the last couple of days while I was repairing kits that were damaged during Februarys earthquake. I securely bolded the 2 mitre tall cabinet to the wall so it wouldn't topple over but, unfortunately, aircraft sitting on the smaller upper shelves slid off and fell onto the planes below.

This time around, damaged was mostly confined to pitots, aerials and undercarriage. So I had a good excuse to reset the wheels on the Corsair to the correct position.

The really good news is that the 80 Kg cabinet didn't fall on my family, who were heading past it towards the door.