1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Bit of a setback last night. The usual, in a hurry working late (and tired) and accidentally knocked over the bottle of liquid glue on one of my separated flaps, and the elevators and rudder I rebuilt. Felt so dumb!! So this is now the third rudder I'll have to do. Fortunately I had spare kits...I won't tell you how many...

The surface detail on the flaps and elevators is ruined. The elevators will have to be started from new The flap I think is salvageable, but now I will need to sand and rivet/rescribe both of them so they match. More time...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 2 weeks later...

So, I think I've made it back from the liquid glue spill disaster. Hopefully I can pick up the pace to make the deadline, but not sure. Built a new rudder, two new elevators and re-skinned the flaps to cover the damage from the liquid glue. I picked up a great tip from someone in one of the other builds...I used furnace tape for the rib tapes on the rudder and it worked perfectly, thin but visible enough to see and very subtle. Thank you whoever that was. Under a couple of layers of primer it looks good to my eye.

WIth another theatre production I haven't had much extended time to build but I am moving forward when I get an hour or so in the evenings. I've been building little components in addition to repairing the damage. I keep running down interesting rabbit holes. Today I spent almost an hour building a flare pistol receptacle...the thing on the port side wall! Now I'm working on the zippered cloth bag that holds the pistol and flares. I'm finding that I like the problem solving and trying to figure out if I can build these things. Makes for very slow model building though, and I'm learning new swear words, or inventing them.

I'll post pictures of some of the things I've been doing later tonight. Time to get serious so I can catch up to Carl (BloorwestSIR)...or Shawn M!

Richard 

Edited by R Palimaka

Just a few photos of some of the little progress I've made. First up the new radios and IFF, the SCR-522 and the SCR-695. In the real aircraft, the battery was moved to the engine firewall to make room for the SCR-695. Both were based on the kit radio which was skinned with card and details added to match photos.

r7YcjW8l.jpg

SCR-695 

Yd6Rgfpl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't given up! The last performance of the show I'm in is this Saturday, so I'll have my evenings back again. I should also be healed from the injuries I caused myself getting my sailboat ready to get lifted in to the water. I fell 8' off a ladder taking the tarps off in the pouring rain, ripped open two fingers (stitches) and sprained my wrist. Quite the clown show. My right hand of course. Don't want to be left behind and would like to get this done by the deadline if I can...

Lol! Yeah, I think in the adrenalin of the moment in racing you probably don't notice the damage to yourself until you tie up and start to relax.

I tried to grab the toe rail at the edge of the deck on the way down, and that aluminum is sharper than I thought! The wrist, I think I just whacked it on the hull for good measure. Could have been worse, I could have got tangled up in the rungs of the ladder and broken a leg or something. The yacht club is on the army base here, so lots of health and safety paperwork to fill out!