Spitfire PR Mk XI RAF Benson

Iain

Hi everyone,

As a memorial to my friend Edgar, who I've known since 1983 and can blame for so many of my hobby interests, I shall mostly be building an RAF Benson based Spitfire PR Mk XI using Tamiya's superb Mk IXc kit, combined with the Alley Cat resin conversion and RB Productions Sutton Harness.

Why this version?

RAF Benson is under 20 miles from the area where Edgar was born and lived throughout his life - one of the nearest operational RAF Spitfire units to him during the war - and also not far from where I live in these days in Oxfordshire.  It's also a little different to the norm...

So:

post-260-0-56877700-1450387847_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-09324200-1450387867_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-16391900-1450387898_thumb.jpg

Will hopefully lead to:

post-260-0-55415200-1450388127_thumb.jpg

Blue skies Edgar...

Iain

Very cool Iain! I have the Allycat con. and Tamy MKVIII but there is no way I could finish it in aloted time. Will watch with great interest my friend....Harv

Interesting and poignant choice Iain.

I confess a liking for the recce birds myself. The blue scheme wiht black and white stripes looks great.

Are you beginning with the MkIX kit because that is the one you had in the stash or because it is a better starting point for the conversion?

Cheers.

I believe either the Mk VIII, or IX, are equally good starting points - I have two Mk IXc kits so that was the decider!  :)

I'll be digging out my refs over the next few days - including the 'bible' - Spitfire: The History by Edward Shacklady and Eric B. Morgan.

Have been putting off two things: one is starting one of the Tamiya Spits because I've been worried about doing them justice - and the PR conversion - which I've always wanted to do - way before Tamiya San announced his very fine Spitfire kits.

Iain

Nice choice Iain. I built one a couple years back. I would watch out for the lower cowl and the canopy. Both are a bit fiddly to fit and the canopy is quite thick.

Geedubelyer, the Alleycatb conversion includes parts for using either the VIII or IX as a starting point. The VIII is slightly better as the base kit but not a requisite.

Carl

Thanks for the info gents.

I can see how it might be easy to overthink a project like this and get bogged down by the details.

Building it for a cause that is close to your heart may make you try too hard to do it justice. Also, as you allude to, it's almost a pre-requisite that the builder should try even harder to bring the best out of the Tamiya kits. Our fellow members like Ralph Reise and Wolf (to name but two) set the bar at almost unreachable heights.

In truth, the very fact that you are building this as a memorial to Edgar is enough and thankfully, simply building the Tamiya offering straight from the box would yield a worthy model. That you are adding a bit here and there is the icing on the cake.

Hopefully this project will be a pleasure and help you remember the good times that you shared with Edgar along the way.

Have fun.

Cheers.

I like your choice Iain, correct me if I'm wrong but Benson was the home of 541 squadron I think. A 541 squadron PR Spitfire took the photographs of the bomb damage, Dortmund-Ems canal which was the target on the night that "my" Lancaster crew got the chop, the chaps who did the FA on my build. I've got a Tamiya Spitfire IX in the stash so fancy doing one of these myself sometime, is the Alleycat conversion readily available still?

Max

Fantastic choice for this memorial group build Iain, I built one of the SEAC conversion kits and thoroughly enjoyed the build, however........watch out for the windshield fit and also the replacement wing inserts as they are very thick and probably best modifying the kit  parts as the fit is far superior, also the radiator cowl fit as its a little out on the fit.......I ended up combining the kit and update set parts to get a good fit......

DSC_0202_zps8c5b620b.jpg

And for me a Spit in PR blue is my favorite ever Spit scheme.......

DSCN1255_zpsfcec8d5e.jpg

Will be following with interest on this one and also will be bringing a Spit build I planned for later next year forward me thinks.

Regards. Andy

Cheers Andy...

Have read your build and already made some mental notes!  :)

I'll probably vac a new windshield - and maybe the bulged front lower cowl as well - we'll see.

I think the PRU Blue suits the lines of the Spit beautifully - and your model looks ace!  :thumbsup:

Iain