de Havilland 82a Tiger Moth (Revell)

mozart

Not a lot to see for a morning's work, mainly making the front cockpit seat from scratch and working out the best way to secure it in place.  Lots of measuring, adjustments and lateral thinking required and I still don't know that it's going to fit 100% right yet!  I'll be "sculpting" some gaiters at the base of the control sticks using Milliput and I'm contemplating making a better version of the leading edge slat locking lever on the right side of the rear cockpit.....not entirely convinced it's worthwhile.... :hmmm: ...... If I do that I'll also have to do the "cheese-cutter" trim adjuster on the left side!

9tyuOF.jpg

This will make a big improvement in accuracy for the cockpit.

This detail seems to be missed quite a lot, even in cut aways. I guess it is easy to assume front and back cockpits are essentially identical...

You're right Alain, but the sloping framework around the forward seat and the seat's curved back is there so that the rear seat pilot has leg room, no other reason. The leading edge slat control is only in the aft cockpit, when flying solo the pilot flies from there of course.

I'm working on the IPs and associated bits, making compasses etc (I've made some extras for my Anson too) and hope to have some progress shots later today though I had to order a new sheet of instrument dials from Peter because I've run out of compass faces! Also made some Sutton harnesses out of lead sheet, all very fiddly and time consuming but it's a rather grey damp day so it's modelling only today! My better half is in India for a fortnight so no distractions or demands!! :)

Edited by mozart

Thanks William, your beautiful Moth is still the yardstick for me.  I have a similar diorama in mind though with significant differences!

This is now the planned colour scheme, I love the combination of colours and the detail in which they are applied:

vFM1ad.jpg

DqwPxg.jpg

veryXx.jpg
Edited by mozart

They're coming on Carl but I have to wait for the instrument dial sheet to arrive from Peter before I can move on, they're in the post so hopefully tomorrow may be delivery day! Great colour scheme isn't it, and I'm going to try doing the nose section in metal sheet!

There's an ugly and incorrect "overhang" of the aft bulkhead of both the front and rear cockpits.  In the picture below I've trimmed the aft one back to be flush with the bulkhead and then cut out the little right-angled "niche" in the diagonal, compare this with the forward one which hasn't been trimmed yet:

eyKW0L.jpg

I've made some covers for the wheels which I'll be painting tomorrow along with the cockpit interior.

Lots of bits and pieces being worked on: Peter's instrument dial sheet arrived this morning so I was able to finish the IPs and the two compasses, then I've been concentrating on the wheels and undercarriage.  I'm going to give the interior a very light weathering, the owner is clearly very proud of his Moth so he keeps it in pristine condition!

DZLKAp.jpg

7znBXH.jpg

Looks fantastic, but isn't the rear occupant sitting in the baggage compartment? Oh it looks as if the rear seat is not fixed in place...

Where do the DH decals for the wheels come from?

Alain

Ha ha, it certainly looks like it Alain doesn't it, but no, the rear seat isn't in place yet, need the access for a bit of painting and highlighting first. The DH "decals" were hand-painted, I spent quite a while practising with different brushes and paint consistently but though not perfect it looks ok I hope.

Looks great Max. How good are those IP decals!

Will you weather the cockpit much?

Jim

Yes Jim, the Airscale IP decals are good but made to look even better when I added the instrument bezels before placing a drop of Micro-Klear to give the glass effect. As I, ahem, mentioned above(!) the cockpit won't be weathered much, it's civilian and the owner's pride and joy! (and he gets his butler to clean it out!).