Kinetic F-86F-40 Sabre *Completed*

BradG

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore updates bud? I recently acquired the same kit. So following with interest.

Ah sorry mate, I've been a bit slack on this while coming to the business end of the cricket season.

I have been slacking off on this build, I've picked things up a bit here and managed to do some painting and gluing. The cockpit detail is nice, perhaps a little basic for 1/32, I should have gotten the Quickboost seat, but ah well. Fit of the fuselage is pretty good with the clamping there should be minimal clean up and I have test fitted the back plate, it fits perfectly. You also need about 100g of weight in the nose.

oPO0YBG.jpg

Edited by BradG

Now the rear fuselage. Fit is ok, although the panel lines on the lower surface don't want to line up too well. I'd also recommend shaving down the locating pins a bit as the fit causes a slight step in the join. Despite clamping it will need some minor clean up, just like the forward fuselage.

7r2oYfO.jpg

I pinned the nose so there was a nice tight fit for the insert with the landing/formation lights. There's a little step there that might need some attention.

0hhF3yO.jpg

Test fitting the wing, top join is pretty good, should just need a little superglue to clean it up. Note I haven't fixed the wing leading edge yet.

H2p7kbX.jpg

Rear joint...hmmm. I think the internal frame is causing that gap so a little plastic surgery will be required for a better fit.

stxQDHq.jpg

Ok it took surprisingly little to close the gap at the rear of the wing to fuselage joint. A little clamping and she's good.

jHJ4ja1.jpg

...then I turned it over. Crap. Oh well looks like some filling and sanding here. Also note there is a step between where the nose cone fits to the fuselage at the bottom. The top and sides fit nicely though. Should be able to handle that with a file and some plastic brutality.

yz5LL3U.jpg

On to the leading edge slats, which I decided to have up. They required a little persuasion to fit as you can see.

HN2Vgtk.jpg

While one side was drying, the stabilators were a push fit with some super glue and the fin fitted good enough.

luw4JGo.jpg

The other slat was installed and given the required force. I also installed the first flap. Fit was pretty good, there is a gap perhaps a touch larger than I'd have liked, but they are moving surfaces after all.

dAGZTl1.jpg

Now we have the speed brakes in, which fit nicely. The other flap installed that was a nice tight fit, wingtips are clamped and drying finally the machine gun covers glued on. These didn't fit as well as I'd have liked actually, almost like they didn't quite match the curve of the fuselage, but ah, close enough.

KORGCBA.jpg

Wingtips fitted. Again the fit is ok, everything about the fit of this kit is ok, the parts are kinda, clunky, for lack of a better word.  I put the engine in too, but it won't be seen. I've glued the upper half of the tail on here in the first picture.

x1x4qi6.jpg

...and to get the bottom to fit nicely, it's requiring some force. You can see the step that I have yet to correct on the far side.

HtvsCqO.jpg