P-51 Wings: Color and Finish

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Very sound theories. My thoughts would lean very strongly to the second theory. Everything filters downhill and the trick is to get yourself to the top of the hill.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Decision Time and it's just about time to finalize my war planes for the Mustangs wings and fabric covered ailerons:

1. Primed with Tamiya Fine Gray Primer

2. Polish out the primer

3. A mix of Floquil Old Silver and Floquil Reefer White.

4. Gloss topcoat

5. Ready for decaling

Peter

2. Polish out the primer

Just remember, all paints weather acrylic, enamel or lacquer need something to "bite" into. The only times Ive ever experience any issues with paint not sticking is when the surface to be painted is either not clean enough or is too glossy or smooth to have the paint grip/bite into the surface properly.

Personally ive never found it necessary to polish primer or even bare plastic, A good runover the surface to be painted with a grit of 1000 - 1500 is perfectly acceptable for most paints.

Id say for Alclad or NMF paints, 1500 - 2000 would be perfectly fine.

I usually prime over a surface prepped with 600 - 1200 as the primer likes those slightly more rough surface to dig into. Using the above method, and Tamiya or Mr S primers i have yet to have any paint or primer flake or chip in any way.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Got ya. After the primer is on, I'll keep the sanding to 1500 grit to be on the safe side.

I started masking last night and found the gun bays are going to be a bit of a problem because I detailed them, the spare set of gun/ammo bay doors can't be used. Looks like I'll be masking them off for a few more hours of work I wasn't counting on.

Thanks for the heads up

Peter

• 4 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as the Mustang I'm building is quickly approaching a point where a decision needs to be made, I thought I'd take a read. Interesting stuff. As I'm building a Korean era Mustang, I think I will go with no putty on the wings. The detail on the Tamiya Mustang is so fine and detailed that 1. It would be a shame to cover it up. 2. By the 50's these planes would have been serviced and cleaned up so many times, I doubt much putty would have remained.

If anyone has a compelling argument for why they should be puttied please let me know.