HPH SB2C Helldiver

Beautiful!! Dang it....there goes some more cash!!

Thanks Smitty! It's not too much more than a IM kit when you factor in that the HPH doesn't need much AM. All I added was the gear so I probably didn't have any more $$ into the kit than I have in my Tamiya F-4 with all the resin goodies. It definitely took more patience than the F-4 will though!

Great work and that for your first full resin congratz

Mark

Thanks Mark! Resin kits are not a big mystery anymore - now I have my eye on the Fisher Skyray (plus the HPH Tigercat when it comes out!)

Mark

Mark,

Congratulations on crossing the finishing line. Just an outstanding build.  :yahoo: Sorry to hear that the dive flaps were just to complicated to drop, but it sure doesn't detract from the finished build.

Joel

You've done a grand job there. Excellent stuff. Interior colour looks fine to me.

Relatively rare to see a completed HpH model, well done!

I thought the interior color would look ok but all the pics available show a lighter shade. Then it dawned on me that just about all the color interior shots on the web are of the same aircraft. It's the CAF Helldiver and they are not known for absolute accuracy in their restorations. Maybe I got it right by accident  :innocent:

Great job, I'd love one of those but I've sworn off resin kits for a while, I'm just a wimp.

Cheers

Dennis

I don't think I'll forsake IM for resin just yet! It was an adventure but not beyond anyone with average skills. I'm proof of that!

No guts no Glory!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

You made it! :speak_cool:

The first one completed I know of. Impressive model and well built!

Regards

- dutik

I don't know if it's the first one. I think there was a post with one other but it was for a mag article. I'll take credit for maybe completing the first one by a commoner!

Mark

Great job on finishing an HpH kit, they're not the easiest of kits, specially for a first all resin kit!

Impressive build and clean finish, bravo!

Karim

Thanks Karim!

Really nice work. Wish there was one in styrene.

Thanks Bill! Yeah, I think it would be a winner in styrene too. I can't figure out the hole in WWII naval av, i.e., TBD, Helldiver, Val, Kate, etc. Maybe it's the lack of surviving airfames?

Mark

Mark.. :wow: One STUNNING build.

:goodjob:

:clap2:

Thanks Maru!

Mark,

Congratulations on crossing the finishing line. Just an outstanding build.  :yahoo: Sorry to hear that the dive flaps were just to complicated to drop, but it sure doesn't detract from the finished build.

Joel

Thanks Joel! Rarely do I surrender to a challenge (you know, "Hold my beer and watch this!" - what happens next usually involves calling an ambulance  :wacko: ) but the flaps and dive brakes did me in. I tried every bonding agent I have short of epoxy and even tried soldering the assemblies but no dice. IMHO a big part of the problem is that the brass HPH uses is really thin and flexible. If the parts had been a little more substantial I might have had better luck. I did buy a new soldering iron kit for the attempt so good news - I got a new tool for my pain! I also think that my patience was wearing thin - it was time for it to be finished and any further headaches would have meant off to the shelf of doom.

Mark

Holy moly, indeed a BEAST....excellent build, it's a really impressive "bulk" of an aircraft, very very massive and your model reflects it beautifully

Jack.

Thanks Maru!

Thanks Joel! Rarely do I surrender to a challenge (you know, "Hold my beer and watch this!" - what happens next usually involves calling an ambulance  :wacko: ) but the flaps and dive brakes did me in. I tried every bonding agent I have short of epoxy and even tried soldering the assemblies but no dice. IMHO a big part of the problem is that the brass HPH uses is really thin and flexible. If the parts had been a little more substantial I might have had better luck. I did buy a new soldering iron kit for the attempt so good news - I got a new tool for my pain! I also think that my patience was wearing thin - it was time for it to be finished and any further headaches would have meant off to the shelf of doom.

Mark

Mark,

Believe me that I felt your frustration. Several times I've reached a point in a build where the fun factor has hit zero as the kit has just beaten me into the ground, so all I want to do is finish the build and move on.  I'm not one that seems to be able to focus on more then one build at the same time, so a SOD isn't something I've ever needed, Any build that just plain worn me out, has been sent to the county recycling center. Fortunately, that's a rare occurrence, but that's just the way I am. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W