Okay guys, deal me in. (Revell F4F-4)

wingman777

Guys, I'm pretty excited. I've entered three group builds but this is the first time I've finished one. I'm having some trouble getting the images to load due to size but they all say they're less than 100kb. Anyway here is my Revell F4F completed. Its one of the best models I've completed overall.

post-345-1237162789.jpg

I did plenty of scratch building on the landing gear bay, engine and cockpit but not much of it is visible now. This shot shows the photo etech cowling gills and the kit wheels. I added kit styrene between the two kit parts to widen the wheels which were too skinny. Prop is painted with Testors aluminum plate (buffing) straight from the can, the black is polyscale steam engine black and the yellow tips are a product made by Archers Fine Dry Transfers.

post-345-1237162942.jpg

I was going to use the Montex masks but had to make my own using blue masking tape. The lettering was especially tricky but its still better than using decals to me. I added variations of color and sheen on some parts of the airplane for weathering.

post-345-1237163301.jpg

Okay help me decide which is better. On the port wing I added the white tape over the gun barrels (previus image) and the starbord wing I didn't so you could see the detail of the machine gun barrel. If it were you which "look" would you do for both wings?

post-345-1237163710.jpg

By now you've noticed that the rudder is a different color. This aircraft was part of VF-6 and served on the Enterprise. They were delivered with their rudders painted red and white stripes. After a while they decided to over-paint them so I did the same thing. This blue is a mixture of the Polyscale Blue - Gray and some Polyscale Israeli early camo blue. The only decals on this model are the two kill markings on the port side of the fuselage.

Here I'm trying to show you some of the hidden details I put in the landing gear bay. There is an oil tank molded from miliput and painted silver with some brown bands around it, lots or wiring (solder) and pulleys, braces, chains...etc.

post-345-1237164398.jpg

one more note on previous image...the exhaust stacks were made from coffee stirrers I skanked from work :) Paint doesn't want to stick to kind of plastic so I sprayed them with Krylon fusion (gloss white) and then painted them the dark exhaust color you saw. This image might give a good view of the weathering on the wings and fuselage. the wing walk area is 600 grit sand paper with various colors added for weathering and glued down with thin CA.

post-345-1237164785.jpg

port side profile shot, the tail wheel was robbed from the old school Hasegawa FW-190 kit. The Revell kit tail wheel was very tiny and just didn't look right compared to photos. Also, the kit windscreen and canopy were very thick, dipping them in future didn't help and neither did Novus plastic polish. I opted to use the Squadron vac canopy intended for the Hasegawa F6F-3 and made some adjustments to fit it on this kit. The framing is done using thin strips of Tamiya tape and painted. Both the inside and outside have painted tape strips, it looks good and its easy to work with.

post-345-1237165050.jpg

I haven't added the aerial wires yet because I'm waiting for my order of EZ line to come in instead of using fishing line or thread. The EZ line stretches a great deal and is so much easier to work with. This shot shows the detail I did on the actuating arm for the horizontal stabilizer trip. The kit part ws just a blob, this one is two pieces of metal and some CA.

post-345-1237165486.jpg

Last image for now :) This is the landing light found under the port wing, the kit completely left it off. This lens came off of the Hasegawa Mk V Spitfire kit. Sounds like Hasegawa helped me with this kit in several ways so I'll call it my Reve-gawa kit :) It was a tough project but I'm very happy with the overall results and feel like I learned a great deal. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration I get from my buddies on this site. So many of you guys a pure genius model builders. ;)

post-345-1237165852.jpg