Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' The man meets the model.

ericg

Great review, thanks, and it's always useful to have the added interest of the subject.

Talking of which, and hopefully not too far o/t: looking at the range of RAF types he flew, was he at Empire Test Pilots' School?

Not off topic at all Mike, after all, this build is just as much about the man than it is the Machine.

I am pretty sure David said he was at the Empire Test Pilots school. This is a picture (not taken by him)that David sent me of one of the Lightnings that he flew whilst he was there.

EE_Lightning_F.3_XP694_D.29_WATT_16.09.7

Here are some pictures of various types that David took photos of whilst he was over in Vietnam. Hopefully they will be of use to the readers of this thread. Some interesting stuff.

Cessna O-1 Bird Dog on the tarmac at Vung Tau - circa mid 1969. 'Air America' Caribou in the background

thumbnail_three%20quarter%20Bird%20dog-X

019%20Birddog-X3.jpg

This photo of the C-47 was taken at Bien Hoa in mid/late 1969.

Spooky-X3.jpg

F100%20Bien%20Hoa%201969%20%281%29-X2.jp

These photos are of an OV-10 Bronco, 504 TIS, Phan Rang 1969

017%20-%20010%20Bronco-X2.jpg

018%20-%20010%20Bronco-X2.jpg

Now for a great picture of David. This one will find its way onto a plaque on the base that will accompany the model. Not only is it a fine portrait, but it has a number of very useful details such as positioning of stencil data, weathering, and also the Kangaroo emblem with Snoopy holding a Willy-Pete on the nose.

AWM%20VN70.4.1.10.%20Dave%20and%20his%20

Whilst looking through some of the memorabilia that David had on hand, we came across some stuff that was directly related to his time in Vietnam, and he has scanned it for me and of course you guys.

Plaque-X3.jpg

FAC%20flying%20suit%20patch-XL.jpg

Now, lets look at some more modelling.

Roden had a great idea in the 3 piece nose wheel allowing instant tire tread but unfortunately not the mould quality or engineering to match. It sort of works but the irregular surfaces and sizes of each part don't really match up so most of the grooves need to be sanded off to get the right shape of the tire.

IMG_1105-X3.jpg

Once the shape was sorted, it was off to have a flat spot milled onto the tire. I am shocked at the amount of builds online that whilst looking good, miss such a simple and realism-adding feature.

IMG_1118-X3.jpg

I then worked out where each groove would sit and then placed a thin section of plastic card under the wheel, and rotated it whilst holding a Trumpeter scriber against the tire.

IMG_1132-X3.jpg

I refined the shape of each groove with an RB Scriber to widen them and make them deeper.

IMG_1138-X3.jpg

The finished wheel. I located the grooves slightly outside the kit positions and have rounded off the tire a bit as I felt that it was to square on its edges.

IMG_1148-X3.jpg

And for those following on that may wish to depict another O-2 with Aussie markings, I have this slightly better image of 10972 which I posted earlier (less cropped)

Tailplane%20of%20Cessna%2002%20Milirole%

I should point out that David mentioned that this one was from a different batch that had a larger pilots window that extended over the top of the fuselage as can be seen of this 2012 photo of the same aircraft, so it will require some modification of the kit.

0000014303-L.jpg

Hi Eric, looks like an interesting build. I'll be watching it.

I drew this very aircraft for David a few years ago. I have done a great deal of work with him in the past. He also flew Sabres out of Ubon during Vietnam.

I may be able to help with graphics for the decals if you run into trouble.

Graeme.

O-2A21368_LRG.jpg

Hi Greame,

Thanks for the comment and profile. I was looking through your site today and noticed that one above. Very nice. Do you have a period photo of 21368 with both of the roo logos (nose and tail) plus the jade coloured section on the top and bottom of the tail?

For those following, Graeme's site has an excellent walk around section as well. http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/Walkarounds_Air_Military_Prop.html

Scroll down for the Cessna O-2 walkaround.

Edited by ericg

Out of interest, do you know how old he was there?

Richard

I will check and report back for you Richard.

Any other questions that anyone else would like to ask, I will do my best to facilitate.

Eric.

David sent me these photos and text.

This is the aerial view of Vung Tau airfield. This was a support base with a shortish runaway (no jets). You can see Caribous, Chinooks, Cobras, OV-10 (a visitor), Beavers, Otters and the tiny O-1s and O-2s. We also had the occasional OV-1 Mohawk. This runway is closed and became a taxiway. A new runway was build parallel but out of the left of the photo. The Aussie camp is to the right amongst the trees - and the township of Vung Tau (a French resort town) is by the coast between the hills. You can also see the radar dishes at the top of the hill to the right.

oblique%20aerial%20view%20of%20Vung%20Ta

This the Aussie Base at Nui Dat and Luscombe Field (the airstrip).We were based overnight at Vung Tau but deployed daily to Nui Dat for briefings and operational sorties.

Nui%20Dat-X3.jpg

The roof of the cabin will be fairly visible on the completed mode and I wanted to hide it as well as make the area stronger to minimise the flex mentioned earlier.

IMG_1139-X3.jpg

I cut a section of plastic card to represent the roof lining.

IMG_1140-X3.jpg

Measured and marked some points at 2mm increments,

IMG_1141-X3.jpg

Connect the dots

IMG_1142-X3.jpg

I then scribed each line

IMG_1143-X3.jpg

Fitted. The flex is much reduced and the roof moulding lines etc are now hidden. As this is a fairly thick piece of plastic card, I will do some contouring later on, as well as adding some side fillets that will extend down the walls of the cabin.

IMG_1184-X3.jpg

Out of interest, do you know how old he was there?

Richard

Here is David's answer regarding that portrait photo:

I believe the photo was taken by the official RAAF photographer, Fred Adler. The photo is now in the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

Fred flew with me on two missions in the O-2 - to record air strikes by an Aussie Canberra (Magpie).

From memory, Fred took the still photos after one of these two sorties.

The sorties were flown from Vung Tau on the 20th November 1969 and the second on the 25th November 1969. Both were in 10999!

I turned 25 in September 1969.

Here is David's answer regarding that portrait photo:

I believe the photo was taken by the official RAAF photographer, Fred Adler. The photo is now in the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

Fred flew with me on two missions in the O-2 - to record air strikes by an Aussie Canberra (Magpie).

From memory, Fred took the still photos after one of these two sorties.

The sorties were flown from Vung Tau on the 20th November 1969 and the second on the 25th November 1969. Both were in 10999!

I turned 25 in September 1969.

Thank you

Richard

You got me there! We flew the Cariboo and a few others too. I knew the Aussies had hueys in Vietnam but I did not know about b-57s! Did the Kiwis participate the the SEA wargames too?

Well to be honest the Caribou was a DeHavilland Canada product...

David sent me these photos and text.

This is the aerial view of Vung Tau airfield. This was a support base with a shortish runaway (no jets). You can see Caribous, Chinooks, Cobras, OV-10 (a visitor), Beavers, Otters and the tiny O-1s and O-2s. We also had the occasional OV-1 Mohawk. This runway is closed and became a taxiway. A new runway was build parallel but out of the left of the photo. The Aussie camp is to the right amongst the trees - and the township of Vung Tau (a French resort town) is by the coast between the hills. You can also see the radar dishes at the top of the hill to the right.

oblique%20aerial%20view%20of%20Vung%20Ta

Strictly for historical purposes, those antenna arrays you see on the top of the hill are Troposcatter Communications antennas. Longrange phone connection basically, and also a way to communicate Radar pictures between sites. Where I work currently on the North Warning System, we see these antennas at a couple of sites, as the are used as landmarks by the locals who live up here in the great white north. 

And now I'll stop waxing about useless stuff, and let you get back to the awesome model (which I too have coming...) Hope to see some masks or decals for the Kangaroo with Snoopy...  I may want to do one of those...

Strictly for historical purposes, those antenna arrays you see on the top of the hill are Troposcatter Communications antennas. Longrange phone connection basically, and also a way to communicate Radar pictures between sites. Where I work currently on the North Warning System, we see these antennas at a couple of sites, as the are used as landmarks by the locals who live up here in the great white north. 

And now I'll stop waxing about useless stuff, and let you get back to the awesome model (which I too have coming...) Hope to see some masks or decals for the Kangaroo with Snoopy...  I may want to do one of those...

Thanks for the info Winnie. I will be making up some masks to do the wanted schemes so stay tuned.

Another picture from David. Hope you guys are enjoying these!It shows some excellent detail, not only of the aircraft but the Ground support equipment that was used.

David wrote:

This shows the O-2 taxying in at Vung Tau. The front engine was shutdown after landing to avoid stone damage and to reduce the risk of personnel injuries. The whiteboard on the side of the fuselage showed the weapons load, the right window is open for ventilation and you can see the clear vision panels on the lower fuselage. You can see that the undercarriage doors retracted after the gear was extended. The hangar behind is a RAAF maintenance hangar. I can't remember if it was 9 Squadron (Iroquois) or 38 Squadron (Caribou) - or both.

020%20-%20Cessna%2002%20taxies%20in-X3.j

He also sent me a scan of the certificate he received once he was checked out on the O-2. once again, another priceless artifact.

USAF%200-2A%20training%20certificate-X2.

Some modelling.

The main undercarriage legs look a bit over thick and I don't think that they will be up to the task of supporting the model by themselves. A solution was needed and I will detail this fairly easy method so that others can see how easy it is.

IMG_1156-X3.jpg

I really wanted to get some music wire into the part, but how? this will make it stronger to support the weight, resist breaking, and also allow me to make the part thinner.

IMG_1157-X3.jpg

The part has a conveniently located seam line on both inner and outer faces.

IMG_1159-X3.jpg

Using the raised mould line as a guide, I carefully free handed a scribed line using my trusty Trumpeter sriber making it deeper on each pass.

IMG_1160-X3.jpg

Using the RB scriber I then widened the groove

IMG_1161-X3.jpg

Using the back end of a drill bit slightly larger than the diameter of the music wire I then widened and deepened the groove to allow for fitment of the wire, approximately halfway into the thickness of the part.

IMG_1168-X3.jpg

The wire then sits neatly inside the groove.

IMG_1181-X3.jpg

Fill the remaining groove with a superglue/talc powder mix

IMG_1183-X3.jpg