• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

"Oils, oil paints and oil mediums should not be applied in temperatures below 10o F or above 40oF".  THIS modeler also does not apply himself  in temps below 10C or above 40C.  Actually, my range is a LOT narrower!   :tumble:

• Joe66 likes this

On the bench:  1/32 Hobby Craft Sopwith Camel and 1/72 Eduard Spitfire Vb

In the Case: Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/28 Fokker DR I 'Red Baron',   Big Beautiful Doll  KH P-39 Snooks 2nd 1/48 Eduard P-39D Air A Cutie1/72 Academy Helldiver; 1/72nd Eduard Albatros DV;1/28 Revell Spad XIII1/32 Roden Fokker DR I

Coming:  SH Tempest Hi-Tech?; SH P-39 or maybe the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Duchess Arlene and lots of Barracuda stuff?

#32 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

Okay had a play with the materials this morning and colour me happy.

cobalt%20driers%2002.jpg

Materials used

cobalt%20driers%2003.jpg

This is a badly ( not goodly ;)  ) weathered 1/6 resin casting I made of a Dragon 50cal ammo box.

Basic Tamiya paints and then some pastel crayons for dirt and highlights and finally a deep wash of sepia oil paints mixed with the cobalt driers and liquin medium thinned with Humbrol thinners.  All the oil paints are dry now after about three and a half hours.  Pretty happy with the speed of the drying.  Still lots of time to blend and feather the oil paints but this should allow much more use of oils which makes me pretty happy.  I will be playing a bit more with this Cobalt stuff to see what happens but so far it hasn't gone all pear shaped.

Dan

• Gazzas likes this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#33 Gazzas

Gazzas

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

Dan,

That's an impressive drying time.  The ammo can looks realistic...I can't think of a finer compliment.  Though now I'm confused between the pictures and your words.  Liquin, or Liquol?  And I have no knowledge of humbrol enamel thinners.  Another turps relative?  Or Maybe a laquer thinner?

#34 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

Thank you,

Liquol Is a Medium made up up linseed oil and a bit of Liquin that I can get from my local artist supply shop.  I find it easier to use a pre mixed medium rather than mixing up my own. 

Humbrol enamel thinners is just a brand of enamel thinner that I use for thinning oils and enamel paints to make washes and glazes.  Any enamel thinner would work I just find that the Humbrol brand works well for me.  I haven't thinned oils with Lacquer thinners and so I don't know how they would work out.

IHTH

Dan

• Gazzas likes this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#35 Gazzas

Gazzas

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

Mate,

Thanks for the explanations.  I'm sweating on a kit I built for my father that I have to ship to him.  I gave it a thin wash with oils for minimal weathering, and am waiting for it to de-gas before I dull coat it with a clear lacquer before I send it.  With the cooler weather, it seems to be taking forever to de-gas.

Gaz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users