HPH Smolik SM-1 / S-2

dutik

I'm in! First!

Here we go: Building HPHs Smolik SM-1/S-2 kit. This is a czech airplane of post-WW1 origin. Biplane, twoseater, for recce, light bombing and so on. You find a livesize replica of the real thing at Praha-Kbely.

The kit:

smolik1twslc.jpg

Large parts are gfp or something like this. Small parts are resin. Masks for the camouflage and the markeings are provided. Also masks ro make your own louvres and other details by spraying on layers of primer. Sounds odd. We shall see how it will work.

Dry fit:

smolik2d0sct.jpg

Eduards Bf-109 for size comparisation. A small biplane, indeed. Not a lot of rigging, it uses W struts between the wings.

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

References, references:

smolik3qnpc3.jpg

The czech booklet has some nice b/w images of the Smolik (as well as other stuff) and lists where and when it was used in czech air regiments.

The german book (with the Turbolet on top) tells the story, explains the difference between S-1 and SM-1/S-2, gives tech data, provides 3-side views and has an appendix about the czech regimental markings and camouflage of that time. This book is the proof for my long-term modelling planning: Printed 1987 in the GDR and also in my bookshelf from this year on...

And then there is the movie which is part of the kit. It shows the building of the airplane inside the kit. The making of the real airplane in 1920s, starting with some sheets of plywood, linen and wood glue ...and so on till it moves away with a running engine. Nice touch! Thank you, HPH!

Enjoy!

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool !

I missed this thread... I'm interested in, as i read the instruction and it appears quite tricky for a resin kit, almost looks like a vacuformed kit in the conception as one has to detail some parts of the cockpit from scratch, make the louvres oneself and so on... I'm curious !

Are you still buidling it Dutik ?

HPHs Smolik SM-1/S-2 kit

Any ideas where I could buy this kit?

Thanks,

Stephen

Directly from HPH, on their website.

Trying to get the Texan ready for airbrush before (and waiting for autumn to come, which always holds more spare time for me).

Building up details with masks and surfacer is an odd idea, indeed. But I guess it will in reality more easy than handling fiddly resin or PE louvres. 

Had a look at some HPH models, built and wip, at the meeting in Gatow. The Smolik looks doable due to the low parts sount and simple design of the original, in contrast to the nightmares that you read between the lines in every HPH build threat here, both in progress and stalled ones...

We shall see.

Regards

- dutik

Indeed, it makes sanding the fuselage halves easier. But i wonder how it behaves when one remove the masks as it needs quite a thick coat of primer. However, on the pictures in the instuctions, it looks good.

Edited by Zero77

Building up details with masks and surfacer is an odd idea, indeed. But I guess it will in reality more easy than handling fiddly resin or PE louvres. 

We shall see.

Regards

- dutik

It's the way that I'm showing the underlying wing structure on my Anson wing Dutik, works fine for that.

Max