Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

Thanks Rigor, I've tested the motorized prop through each stage of the build. It would be a nightmare to do all the work and then for it not to operate. There is a single AA battery holder purchased from Radio shack and its mounted inside a concave slot that I carved out of the underside of the wooden base. You slip the battery into place and the prop spins until you take it out. A new battery makes the RPM's way too high and you can barely see the prop so I have several used batteries. They spin the prop slower and it looks more realistic. I plan to complete the pilot, flag and overall project this weekend and will post images then.

Ok guys, this is it...the big finish!!!! :P :) I completed the pilot figure last night. The camera is still hosed up and will not let me do super-zoom macro mode to get the fine details so I'm hoping these images will turn out ok. I chopped up some fuzzycraft balls to get that fur lining affect on the ear flaps. In many photos you see the ear flaps turned up to make the pilot look like Bugs Bunny so of course I couldn't resist doing that also. I think if some Japanese pilot rushed up to salute me with that floppy, bunny eared hat thing going on...I would've spewed rice wine out my nostrils. :D Don't know how they kept a straight face. ;) :lol: :lol:

post-345-1250031801.jpg

To Dave, you said to submit the final images to go on the gallery so I'm just going to drop several images and you choose whatever works best. For those of you that were asking...finally, here's the prop blurrrrr!!!!!! :) :D ;)

post-345-1250032018.jpg

Guys I'm real sorry that some of these images look so bad. I just need to get a new camera but for now this is the best I can do. If this image turns on ok you might be able to make out the pilots sword, scabbard and the parachuts that is on the ground just behind his left foot. All these plus the flag were scratch built using items just lying around on the model table and the flag is a product from Archers Fine Dry Transfers. It uses a piece of aluminum foil and an image of the flag is burnished to each side. The foil holds the bends and folds to make it appear as though the flag is flapping in the prop wash.

The pilots white scarf was fashioned from plumbers teflon tape. Its soooooo thin and very silky, just like the real scarf they'd wear. If you check some references you'll see they really did wear them very high, up to their chin or higher.

post-345-1250032691.jpg

One more try but at this distance you can't pick out any detail...this photo session has turned out to be very frustrating :angry: but atleast the project is completed and it turned out as well as I had hoped for. I'll post better images when possible. It really does look much better in person than what the images would indicate.

post-345-1250033151.jpg

Bear with me here but I just couldn't leave Frank out of the pictures. I built the Tomy Ki-84 about 14 years ago and to see it with the Tomy / Swallow George is a family reunion that took years to bring together. Now they can sit on the model shelf together.

post-345-1250033395.jpg

And the grand finale, my two favorite WWII Japanese fighter planes in my favorite scale produced by the same model manufacturer...sitting on the hood of my old Dodge Dakota pickup. There is a metal plate on the base of the George that has written in a very "oriental" font that reads ( My Country.... My Life.... "DIVINE WIND" ) I tried to get an image of it but it was too blurry :)

post-345-1250033551.jpg

nice work wingman look's great and the spining prop! i have this bird in the stash

someday i will get to it :rolleyes: soooooo.............. what's next? :rolleyes: