Best Battle of Britain era Stuka?

Guest The Southern Bandit

The Trumpeter B kit suffers in a few areas mainly in the noses and wheel spats. Brian Fawcett however has a nice resin set designed to correct the Trumpeter shortcomings.

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/contact-us

Looks like a great set, and I really like the instructions.  Seems the mfr has tested the product and knows how to make it work.  Unfortunately, the correction set is $56 or so without S&H, and that with the price of the kit some $40, we're within spitting distance of a $100 without even decals.

Sigh.  Sometimes the prices really bum me out.  Not saying the correction is overpriced, not at all.  Just that sometimes it really hurts to buy something and then have to spend more than the kit to fix its mistakes.

Oh, well.

Looks like a great set, and I really like the instructions.  Seems the mfr has tested the product and knows how to make it work.  Unfortunately, the correction set is $56 or so without S&H, and that with the price of the kit some $40, we're within spitting distance of a $100 without even decals.

Sigh.  Sometimes the prices really bum me out.  Not saying the correction is overpriced, not at all.  Just that sometimes it really hurts to buy something and then have to spend more than the kit to fix its mistakes.

Oh, well.

According to this website, the Ju-87B is correct:

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0015.html

At this time the Trump. kit's retail price is $87.99.

It is interesting how these model "correction sets" (that don't have half of the pieces or parts that the kit has) manage to "sneak-up under" the price of a complete kit, if bought at a discount nearly doubles it.

I think it is a shame to appear to exploit a hobby dedicated to accuracy.

... It is interesting how these model "correction sets" (that don't have half of the pieces or parts that the kit has) manage to "sneak-up under" the price of a complete kit, if bought at a discount nearly doubles it.

I think it is a shame to appear to exploit a hobby dedicated to accuracy ...

I honestly don't think that "exploitation" is the case ... If someone puts in the time and effort to make some sort of correction for a kit that has some rather obvious errors that have the potential to be fixed ... and then offers to put it to market ... they deserve to be compensated in some way.

Most don't make much of a profit ... if at all.

To be honest ... the smaller the production run - the higher the cost per unit. IM kits are as cheap as they are for one reason only - Mass production ... fixed overheads are spread out over a massive amount of kits released ...

Rog :)

What would be best Ju-87 Stuka in 1/32 for a Battle of Britain example one?

Does such a kit even exist?

Short answer: Trumpeter 'B' kit (fit and finish are awesome - especially for the amount of detail in the kit) ...

If you want to give it the real 'stuka-ly' look ... The Fawcett correction is the way to go ...

As parts on sprue trees, you can't really tell what's what ... but when the model is OOB assembled - it just looks off.

It's only as you start checking references and photo's against the kit in front of you, that you realise Trumpeters 'b' team was involved in the design.

The correction set will get it looking like the typical early war German design of: "We don't care how it looks as long as it does the job we want it to"

And that it did ... being the most accurate DB of the war.

The 21st Century kit ... while absurdly cheap and surprisingly accurate in outline (as much as can be expected) ... lacks the overall detail both externally and internally ... 

Personally I think you'd spend more than the Trumpeter/Fawcett option to get it looking anywhere near.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I am currently building the Trumpeter B2 using the Fawcett set. I also bought the 21C kit just for the decals. And I have the Big Ed set, mostly for the interior and mask. Plus I got the VS5 set from Henri Daehne. I am not far along, but I will say that the Fawcett nose helps the look of the model tremendously. The correction nose is a lot bigger and wider than the kit parts, but it does require a good bit of work to get it to fit.

Edited by G-Man

As much as I want to build as accurate as possible OOB (which is my thing due to time/money constraints and all the other blah blah blah) would it be safe to assume 1) the Trumpeter kit is good enough to fool the viewer if the people most likely to see my planes are family and friends who aren't familiar with WWII other than Hollywood and television, and 2) meet my need of the being the best representation of the subject currently available without using aftermarket?