Eduard P-39 Air-A-Cutie 1/48

CANicoll

Latest update:  Corrected the wing walk by extending to the trailing edges.  Painted the white nose stripe and fitted the clear door for the left side decal.  Coming along....

DSC_0069_zpsdojvte71.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsti399z4j.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsghseyqtv.jpg

The decal did not want to cut cleanly (lesson learned for the other side, so I'll do some touch up afterward.

DSC_0071_zps9dsxraal.jpg

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Chris,

Just found your 1/48 scale Eduard P-39 build, and read it start to finish. The kit is excellent and you certainly did it justice. The PE scissor link really looks quite good.  Your camo paint scheme has what I like to call a well maintained operational look to it. Well done.

As for the white basing technique, I'd be very interested in seeing a video of your technique. I use both Black basing (Black base with Gray blotches or patches), and what I refer to as Gray Basing ( Gray base with White or a much lighter Gray blotches or patches).  Basically, the colors of the aircraft, theater of Ops, and the type/amount of weathering  determine which basing I'll be using. Although, I've seen Black basing used to great effect from the darkest to the lightest colors.

I was a Photobucket guy since I started to post pictures on different sites of interest. Last year Photobucket just turned south on me. It went from a reliable and well maintained service, to one that truly sucked. Nothing seemed to work correctly for very long as their focus was on all sorts of things to sell, especially at the various holidays. The not being able to log on or get to your library without a major effect, and waste of time. Uploads worked/didn't work without having to use their backdoor methods was just way to frustrating. But the final straw was that their bulk uploader when it worked was slower then a Yugo trying to accelerate in traffic.  I checked around and Image Shack really got excellent reviews, so I tried it. Simply Outstanding. Super easy to use, and lightning fast uploads. I opted for their $2.99/month plan. I've yet to have a single issue even through the heavy used times of the holiday season.

Joel  

Working on the final decal details and started on the weathering.  Hopefully will get close to wrapping this up this weekend!

DSC_0114_zpszjrawohl.jpg

DSC_0112_zpsgradxkn0.jpg

DSC_0115_zpsnmmgnnns.jpg

Before pics. :-)  Now after:

DSC_0117_zpsngzdtev2.jpg

DSC_0116_zps6ckiyzyk.jpg

I also reset the canopy which I realized was sitting too far aft.  Had to do some shaving at the front armor plate, but it fits much better now - and now the doors fit better!

DSC_0118_zps6wtqe3yu.jpg

The left side door looks much better with the eye. Not sure what the camera is doing there...

More to come!

Chris

Got distracted today with the 50% off everything in the LHS (Yes I made two trips and ended up with a SH P-39 for $40!) but made some good progress on the 'cobra'.  I've noticed some problem with the Eduard masks - when they come off they leave marks on the clear plastic, and Goo Gone does not take it off.  Not sure what the deal with that is but I've not gotten any pics of it yet.

An unexpected hangup is that the Moskit metal exhausts just don't fit - a little to tall for the opening and I was not about to do fairly major surgery at this point, so had to revert to the kit plastic exhausts.  They are ok, but had to drill out each opening even a little bit for effect.  I think the clear door works pretty well tho.  Door fit is still not perfect.

DSC_0122_zps4ibsw3jn.jpg

DSC_0120_zpskc32e9av.jpg

DSC_0121_zpsuxpkwrjn.jpg

Have not started working on the exhaust staining yet or get the antennas, pitot tube installed.

More to come!

Chris

Chris,

Your weathering has a really natural effect of just light fading.  The exhausts look fine, can't see how the AM ones would be much better. As for the residue from the Eduard masks, I really haven't had much of an issue with it, but I clean the glass after removal with a little Windex or store brand on a Qtip.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Terrific work on the decals and weathering. Just love how the P-39 is looking.

I have the Eduard dual set in the stash and need to find some bench time this year for them both.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Chris

Terrific work on the decals and weathering. Just love how the P-39 is looking.

I have the Eduard dual set in the stash and need to find some bench time this year for them both.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Bro,

Gee, I wonder who you got that from   :whistle: 

Joel

Ok, all done!  Did a bit more weathering, got the guns installed in the wings and the antenna.  Not too bad for a pretty quick build.

Couple of points.  This P-39 went through a few iterations of paint including the well-researched ladies on the front - Eli did a masterful job which matches the work done by the Pyn-Up decals I had.  The pics Eli (from Zotz) showed and best as I can tell the props had no markings and no yellow tips.  

The fuselage has the typical P-39 exhaust stains, but not nearly as bad as I've seen on other aircraft and without the common white as well.  The plane was obviously worn, but there was not a lot of panel lines visible or chipping of paint best as I could see.  I guess if you put that much work into the paint job, you try and keep it nice?

I did some panel line highlights but used colors very close to the paint color (or black to show separate flaps, etc) so they are not really apparent.

DSC_0125_zpstmgza7nt.jpgDSC_0131_zpsz68k7hzc.jpg

Exhaust is shaved chalk as is the little bit of nose gun residue.  I didn't see much in the way of wing staining.

I do like having the clear door on the left side of the aircraft.  I have it slightly ajar as the fit was not perfect and I didn't want to mess with it but it does give the cockpit a bit of a two-sided view even with the lovely lady's legs in the way. 

DSC_0132_zpsfpvwxhz6.jpg

DSC_0135_zpsj9uvl0e3.jpg

The underside was not paid nearly as much attention as the top side.  I might go back and play with that sometime later.

I did notice in the pictures that the spinner looked pretty clean as well.  Some P-39s looked beat all to heck, but this one seems to be in better shape than most.

DSC_0130_zpsq5omtlzs.jpg

DSC_0134_zpsafmx7wue.jpgDSC_0128_zpseeoccxsk.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to do a video of my 'white-basing' technique.  It is really easy!

Thanks for looking guys.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks Peter!  

Nice to finish something I liked working on and the Eduard P-39's are some of my favorites.  I do now have a Special Hobby P-39Q I just had to buy at a rock bottom price but will probably keep that in the closet for a while.  I picked up Will's SH Tempest Hi-Tech as well. :-)

Looking forward to your next work.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chris

The SH P-39Q  might need the fuselage plug but the builds here on the, shows just how gorgeous the finished model is.

Another nice find for sure: The Tempest

Peter