North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

I have no idea what this hole is that is seen half covered by this small fairing piece on the port side of the nose. First I thought it was easy access for oil filling filling but i think the oil filler panel is more to the right and a bit higher up. So what is this hole anbd fairing for?

Opening up the 2 venturis, getting ready for fitting. Still need to try and create a short exhaust tube.

I managed to get a great arrangement of the cowling without touching any part of the fuselage.

Radio mast fitted.

Guest Jessie_C

I have no idea what this hole is that is seen half covered by this small fairing piece on the port side of the nose. First I thought it was easy access for oil filling filling but i think the oil filler panel is more to the right and a bit higher up. So what is this hole anbd fairing for?

It's the carburetor air intake, IIRC.

oooh yes - of course. Thanks. I was totally put off by it being covered against forward airflow as opposed to T6 variants with ram air intake. Next question. The 2 venturis on the stbd side. What were they for? Driving a couple of instruments?

Guest Jessie_C

oooh yes - of course. Thanks. I was totally put off by it being covered against forward airflow as opposed to T6 variants with ram air intake. Next question. The 2 venturis on the stbd side. What were they for? Driving a couple of instruments?

Yes; the gyroscopic instruments have a vacuum drive which the venturi tubes power.

I actually thought that the cover opened forward. If it opens aft, it's more likely to be a vent. Perhaps it helps to vent Carbon Monoxide or fuel fumes overboard? We're talking about the one immediately below the antenna, correct?

_________4337893.jpg

It's the carburetor air intake, IIRC.

Jessie, actually the vent is an outlet for oil cooler air. The oil cooler is mounted inside the cowling just near this vent.

The carb air intake is inside the cowl at the 6 o'clock position, with the duct running along the underside of the cowl leading to the carburettor.

Cheers,

Derek

Guest Jessie_C

Jessie, actually the vent is an outlet for oil cooler air. The oil cooler is mounted inside the cowling just near this vent.

Thanks, Derek. As soon as I heard that it faced backwards I knew it couldn't be an intake :)

Took a bit of a break from the model table, and spent some time reading model railroad magazines. Slowly starting to get slightly into model railroad but with more focus on the setting and diorama than the rail. One project I want to start soon is a 1/72 Hanger for such a diorama. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed the delicate operation of getting the undercarriage mounts glued in. Also started filling the joint gap at the horizontal stab.

photos to follow soon.

next jobs are the fixing of the fillet on the horizontal stab, landing light covers and Leading edge pieces

SBH,

Those exhausts really look quite impressive. 

I do have mixed feelings about trying to mix Model Railroading and Plastic Modeling. I've yet to find anyone that has enough time to devote to both hobbies. 

Joel