1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

Thanks everyone...

Bob - a Victor would be ace - but I don't want to even think about another biggie until this one's done and dusted.

If I do a scratch build after this then first in the queue would be the Blackburn Baffin - a lot more straightforward.

Iain

Hi all, thanks for messages  :)

She seemed to go down well at Telford - and sparked a lot of interesting conversations, including with Mirek at HpH who's still planning a 1:32 Constellation in the future - in civil airliner guise.

Iain

If HpH do a 1:32 civilian Connie, I am in for one, 250 % sure ! I hope they will let me recover from the cash outlay for the DC-3 though ;) ...

Looking forward for more, Iain :popcorn:

Hubert

• 1 month later...

Question for anyone out there that might know - but what are the diameters of the round fuselage 'windows' on the EC-121s?

I think there are two distinct sizes (maybe 3) - but drawing a blank at the mo...

The windows I've deliberately made oversize - but now I have a Sihouette cutter I want to make circular masks of exactly the right size so that I can prime + sand + prime + sand the fuselage and airframe - with all the windows masked off.

Any help/pointers *really* appreciated!

Iain

I can't answer that question Iain but maybe these sites will be of interest to you:

especially scroll down to 'other Connie sites'

http://www.dean-boys.com/ec-121.htm

general pics:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/jonathanharnden/willy-victor-lockheed-warning-star-wv2-ec-121/?lp=true

Edited by richdlc

Cheers Rich - already on my radar - the dean-boys.com site has been really useful!

There's also a really good group for ex. EC-121 crews on Facebook.

Those Tech. manuals you provided have been absolutely superb references - just a pity that I can probably quote the part numbers for the windows I'm referring to, but not the actual dimensions  :)

Blue skies,

Iain

Hi Iain, do you have 'any' scale drawings of Connie / 121s ?

I've never seen any but have heard there are some at the

NASM archives.

Years ago I made this one. It's based on Lockheed Station Diagrams and lots of pictures I took of Lufthansa L-1049 G D-ALIN that's in the Hermeskeil Aircraft Museum. Here is a linke to that drawing:

L-1049G_M72.jpg

Have fun but keep in mind that I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this drawing...

Cheers

Rainer

Useful drawings - thanks for sharing Rainer! :thumbsup:

I've been working from the Lockheed station drawings as well - available in a number of books.

You catch odd things like the rudder hinge lines aren't all aligned - that on the middle fin is slightly forward of that on the outer fins...

Still after window diameters if anyone can help?

Iain

You catch odd things like the rudder hinge lines aren't all aligned - that on the middle fin is slightly forward of that on the outer fins...

Iain

I probably got that one wrong. In my drawing it's just the other way round. I should check my references more closely...

Also the shape and size of the tip tanks looks a bit off to me and the shapes of the engine cowlings are not quite what the should be. Well, may be in another life I'll correct that.

Cheers

Rainer

trying to remember one of the US west coast Museums has one. It was at Camarillo  CA for a long time. But it just moved to said museum a few years back.  Chino Planes of Fame, I think may have BATTAN Gen. MacArthur Conny at one time to.

I

Question for anyone out there that might know - but what are the diameters of the round fuselage 'windows' on the EC-121s?

I think there are two distinct sizes (maybe 3) - but drawing a blank at the mo...

The windows I've deliberately made oversize - but now I have a Sihouette cutter I want to make circular masks of exactly the right size so that I can prime + sand + prime + sand the fuselage and airframe - with all the windows masked off.

Any help/pointers *really* appreciated!

Iain

Iain,  Good to hear from you again and thanks for showing off your WIP in Telford.  That is an impressive piece of work.  Let me know if you can't find the information you are looking for.  I can talk to the folks I know at Udvar Hazy and see if they 1.  Know the dimensions, or 2. Can get the info for you.

Best of luck!

Chris