1/32 Trumpeter A-10

SapperSix

This kit was purchased with the Big Ed kit many years ago.  I had read a bad review of the kit and let it sit until I was confident I had warmed up my skills.  I build kits for the fun and the quest to get better. I have found this kit to be rewarding and fun.  I often build many kits at a time so I don't ever have to stop building while a kit drys or is waiting for parts. 

Some of my goals for this kit are to add wiring in the landing gear bays and gear it self.  Increased ordnance detail.  Generally a greater push toward realism than ever before.

I have decided to build an A-10 similar to what I have seen in action during the current conflict(s).  This has required a few changes, such as the addition of formation lights.  And some different decals. 

An initial cockpit picture....

IMG_6645_zpsxalzm8nc.jpg

Edited by SapperSix

• 4 weeks later...

Updates are slow in coming with my schedule.  My focus has shifted a bit on munitions as I was waiting on Plane decals (Thanks to the guys at Reid Air Publications / Speed Hunter Graphics)  and formation lights decals.  I also was looking very closely at what color scheme I was going to use.  Which, I might add, is still out to jury. In the meantime I read up on Olive Drab.  As I have traditionally used Testors OD and moved to Tamiya OD I was unsure at the the very noticeable shade difference. I have found, thanks to past discussions, that there are shading variations for many reasons. 

Just looking at the photo below shows many possible variations in shading for the MK82.  I will work on creating variations of shade on my munitions. This should be interesting and something I have never done.

Mk82%20ODColors_zpslmbf0rdg.jpg

The below photo just shows the work I have done over the last little while.  I have started on the GBU-8 as it has a few different colors to make up the body of the munition. 

IMG_6835_zps2faw6eyi.jpg

The amount of information that I am getting from this site and help from other members has been much appreciated.  Thw shear amount of information has been amazing. 

Edited by SapperSix

Some body work got done.  The over all fit and finish of the model was pretty good.  I have seen a few better and many far worse.

Using Mr Dissolved putty to do the filling of the body lines and flaps as the gaps are very small.  Adding in some of Eduards panels and vents.

IMG_6913_zpsqlyuekc9.jpg

The top of the fuselage fit pretty well.  Testing the fit and finish of the new photo etched Instrument panel cover.

IMG_6911_zpst7pefsca.jpg

Adding the new Flare/Chaff dispensers.  You can also see some of the unfinished fill work on the main wing and flaps/aileron.

IMG_6909_zpstqpkhy8m.jpg

Nice!   Good to see this kit still getting attention!

Tim W.

It sat in my stash or a very long time.  I actually started it years ago but moved and didn't get back to it.  Its been a fun build.

I have been focusing on munitions as I decide the planes paint scheme and version.  As I have moved along I realize that the kits munitions are great for the A-10A but a few of the munitions included with the kit are too old for current or modern day use.  When talking about the AGM-65 the decals seem to be too few and oversized for the kit.  Based off what little investigations I have done I have concluded that I need to look for aftermarket decal sets to make a more accurate AGM-65.  I might need a whole new set of munitions.

Below is the only Maverick I have put decals on....The side I put the decals is according to the directions.  Looking at external sources shows me that the main Air Force decal can also be on the other side of the Maverick, or both sides? Also the Yellow HE stripe has been in a few places based on images I have found on the net.  Although, mostly they are just above the leading edge of the wing surface.

IMG_7220_zpseejcf2av.jpg

Below is the example I am using as the "master".

hqdefault_zpsfl6b2o0b.jpg

Who makes after market Decals for the AGM-65 at 1/32?  Google has not served me well during my searches for decals.

Is there a munitions site that has graphics/walk arounds?

Edited by SapperSix

Nice.  Friend of mine was a USAF ALO type during OIF.  He gave me some helpful hints about load outs, etc.

I would otherwise have loaded mine up beyond the point of it having any meaningful loiter time!

Cheers,

Tim W.

Nice.  Friend of mine was a USAF ALO type during OIF.  He gave me some helpful hints about load outs, etc.

I would otherwise have loaded mine up beyond the point of it having any meaningful loiter time!

Cheers,

Tim W.

Excellent point, right now I was going to put everything I could on it for the coming apocalypse.  May be I need to bring it down a few notches....

If I get AGM-65 decals made for 1/32 who would be interested in also using them?  I am also guessing that as I proceed with the Trumpeter supplied decals I will be making others as well. 

Guest Peterpools

Welcome aboard and second A-10 build thread to follow and enjoy.

Excellent progress on the Hog

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:post1: