1/32 Revell Focke Wulf Fw190 F-8 White 48........FINISHED.

monthebiff

With the fuselage halves together I then fitted the lower instrument panel to the cockpit tub ready for installation into the fuselage.

20170519_122852.jpg

To my disappointment I found the fit was terrible and the forward fuselage wouldn't close up leaving a good 2 mm gap around the forward firewall. After a little while I realized the Eduard lower instrument panel was another 3 mm taller than the kit part. After lots of trimming and dry fitting everything closed up nicely.

20170519_210759.jpg

Followed by a quick dry fit with the lower wing and upper MG bay.

20170519_211310.jpg

and a quick shot of the open access hatch in the tail.

20170519_210657.jpg

Happy that everything all fits together nicely I then added some 2 part epoxy to strengthen the cockpit tub fitment........something I always like to do in area's of structural importance rather than relying on the brittle properties of cyno.

20170519_211019.jpg

Phew, pleased that is all sorted and everything is fitting together nicely again! All the Eduard interior upgrade fits perfectly but beware if you are using the cockpit set as the lower instrument panel is a little time bomb you wont find until it all comes together  :doh:

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Looking really good! I'm seriously considering the kit I have as my next build. However, I don't think I'll mess with all the Eduard extras except the cockpit stuff. Should be easy peasy (and I'm ready for some of that!).

Looking really good! I'm seriously considering the kit I have as my next build. However, I don't think I'll mess with all the Eduard extras except the cockpit stuff. Should be easy peasy (and I'm ready for some of that!).

John, if you leave the extra stuff out then yeah its an easy build straight out of the box, all the main Revell components fit just nice.

Regards. Andy

John, if you leave the extra stuff out then yeah its an easy build straight out of the box, all the main Revell components fit just nice.

Regards. Andy

Sounds good Andy. Thanks.

It looks like your IP coaming fit a lot better than mine did. I'm probably going to have to rip mine out and redo it.

Thats the Eduard resin replacement on mine so not sure about the original kit part.

Regards. Andy

Thats the Eduard resin replacement on mine so not sure about the original kit part.

Regards. Andy

Ah yes, well that makes sense. The wobbly nature of the front of the kit, lead to a haphazard glue in of the coaming, and I think it shifted/slid down while it was drying.

Ah yes, well that makes sense. The wobbly nature of the front of the kit, lead to a haphazard glue in of the coaming, and I think it shifted/slid down while it was drying.

Think I taped the fuselage together with the lower wing in place and then clipped the IP combing in place and glued on one side. Realised very early on the front end fit is difficult because of the flimsy front end. I was also dry fit mad with all the extra resin going in which helped pick that up. 

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Guest Peterpools

Andy

Geez ... Awesome work and glad you were able to work you magic on the front office interior fit issue.

Looks just so good.

I seem to be following in your footsteps in taking a long break from my daunting He219 build, as the fit issues drove me nearly up a wall, draining the juices. The juices came back and my Owl is underway. I'm surely following your road course.

keep 'em coming

peter

Andy

Geez ... Awesome work and glad you were able to work you magic on the front office interior fit issue.

Looks just so good.

I seem to be following in your footsteps in taking a long break from my daunting He219 build, as the fit issues drove me nearly up a wall, draining the juices. The juices came back and my Owl is underway. I'm surely following your road course.

keep 'em coming

peter

Peter,

Glad to hear you are back on the Owl, I tend to have a couple of builds under way at any given time........well three at the moment if you include my almost complete W.29  :doh: but I find it the best way to work is if I'm getting bogged down on one I drop onto another. 

Regards. Andy

The more I look at this 'pit, the more I realize how utterly anemic the control stick is in the Revell kit. Too late now though.

The Revell cockpit is good but the Eduard offering is a big step up in detail. Pleased I went for it now.

Regards. Andy

The Revell cockpit is good but the Eduard offering is a big step up in detail. Pleased I went for it now.

Regards. Andy

I would have considered it, but didn't know it existed. I'll make do with what I have though. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Some decent progress the last couple of days and now have MG bays detail painted, the lower wing attached along with the MG 131 bay installed.

20170526_143924.jpg

20170526_143951.jpg

20170526_144013.jpg

Trying very hard to push myself on this build to improve my hand painting/ detail painting as this this for me is always a bit of a weak area I feel.

Next up I need to get the upper wings fitted and then the basic air frame will be together.

As ever, thanks for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff