Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

I wish there whas a conversion set for the cannards. I am planning to restart my su-30 mkm. The biggest challange is the cannard and the tvc engine nozzel. I hope i can learn from your build how to make a good frontpart and canards.

With regards

Rogier

Anyone ever have a sump pump failure? It's quite exciting, among other things. As a result, the basement is gutted and I have no real access to most of my tools and supplies. The good news is nothing except carpet padding and some wood trim was lost. Needless to say, the new pump is alarmed! It'll take me a month or two to get things put back together. Progress on this build has been slowed...but not stopped.

20150704_200129_resized_zpsqu4tbhyo.jpg

Here is my temporary work bench

One thing I was able to do is begin work on the wings. I've broadened the chord by inserting some plastic strip. I'm not sure if it's accurate or not; I found several drawings that were all just a bit different. But it's close enough. I'll restore and add panel line and rivet detail later.

a686416b-d458-469a-a283-12666ffb4e50_zps

The black lines show (approximately) where the cuts for the wing fold and flaps will be.

Here's my plan: Glue on the leading edge flaps and trailing edge flaps. Fill the areas between the trailing edge flaps and the wings. Then cut out the new flaps, and reassemble them to the wing. I think this will look better than just scribing in the flap lines. I'm not going to have them extended. Too much work, and I won't pull it off anyhow!

Does anyone have any other ideas for this? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks for looking,

jp

Edited by johncrow

Eesh, never had a pump failure...not many basements in Florida. Did return home one day to find the outside hose bib rusted away and was shooting a 10' sideways geyser into my backyard. Most of the water went outward but some did soak the kit floor and cabs....quite a mess.

Sorry for your trouble, kit progress looks good.

Ryan

Your plan for the wings seems OK.  

Might be trouble cementing the flaps then sawing off same glued parts, they will never be as strong or behave like a solid plastic piece.

I'd try gluing everything up then a nice scribe job....if it looks bad then cut it up.

Ryan

PS I'd drench that putty joint at mid wing with thin super glue before scribing too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few minutes here and there, and have made just a bit of progress.

20150719_210040_resized_zpsk91uzrtm.jpg

I've glued the flaps to the wings, and added a bit of plastic to the wing root area to account for the increased chord. I used some liquid glue and stretched sprue to fill the gap between the flaps and wings. Now to prime, fill, and scribe. I know the panel lines etc. are unlike those of an Su-27. My scribe job will be a mash-up of the 27 and 33.

Thanks for looking,

jp

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on the wings. I've penciled in the flaps/flaperons in preparation for scribing. The split flaps still need the....little tabs that stick out over the hinges. I'm not yet sure how I'll scribe those. I'm a bit ham-handed with scribing so I've got to work out a way to make those look at least OK.

Interesting.....I was using CA to fill rivets and panel lines that will not be needed. I thought if I added some blue food coloring to the CA it would make it much easier to see my progress.  It most certainly did. And it also caused the bottle of CA to heat up and burst. Guess I should've paid more attention in chemistry class.

20150804_100058_resized_zpsx3pxuzkl.jpg

See you again in a week or two.

jp

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm just about done with the wings...at least for now. There are a few old rivets to fill in again, and I may add some here and there. It's not completely accurate for an Su-33, or an Su-27 for that matter. I figure it's about an Su-28.5, panel and rivet-wise. I also took a few liberties with scribing in the new full-span flaps. I found several different drawings of this jet, and they all were slightly different. But I'm happy with the way they turned out.

f0a17af9-e719-4ae0-ae14-a7c86a883524_zps

Here's a bit better shot of one of the wings. My rivets don't show quite like the originals, but in the flesh, so to speak, they don't look too bad. The next step will be to add the wing fold hinge detail. I've got a basic idea of what I want to do, but have to work out a couple of details yet.

IMG_1858_zps4opia6j2.jpg

I installed the stellar Zacto intakes. I removed the little antenna mounting pad do-dads that the Su-33 doesn't have. From a couple feet away, you can hardly tell the difference between my replacement rivets, and Zactoman's originals. I didn't get a pic of them, at least yet, so you'll have to trust me on that. I also shot some paint, thinking it was going to be easier to get the nooks and crannies now. But I do think the paint is a little too blue. Some of the pictures I was using for reference seem to be of an airshow jet. The service jets seem to be a little grayer. Or greyer. I haven't decided which.

IMG_1860_zpsu88okezw.jpg

I also began modifying the tail. I cut out the stock 'stinger', and cut out the bulge on the bottom of the boattail. I glued some card in its place, and will fill and smooth it. I haven't totally worked this out, either, but I think I'm going to use the Zacto early stinger as a starting point, and modify it to look something like what the Su-33 has. If I can bring myself to hack up such a beautiful piece of resin...

IMG_1859_zpsnmgkmadg.jpg

Until next time,

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 4 weeks later...

I began work on the canard shoulder/attachment areas. I started with some plastic card, and then the first application of Milliput. I have much more to do here, but it's a start. I did this late at night when I had a few minutes, and apparently skipped the part of the process where the uncured Milliput is smoothed with water....guess I'm not all there late at night. I'm glad my hobby is not brain surgery.

20150910_201248_resized_zps99y6tkh6.jpg

So I have some more sanding and shaping to do....

Thanks,

jp