1/32 Handley Page Hampden (Tigger Models)

AlexM

In my eyes it's a really cool looking plane. And for sure it played it's role until the arrival of the heavy 4-enginded bombers.

This evening I made a promising discoverage. I cut and sanded the two inner halves of the right wing, so that the maximum thicknes where the wings are kinked correspond with the drawing in the warpaint book (about 17 mm at the red line on the pics below). Then I put my SM.79 cowling with the correct diameter as a dummy, and discovered that the nacelle now has the right height. It's just not wide enough (about 2 mm left an right), what must be fixed with plastic and putty. But it will be much easier just to fix the sides than the complete nacelles :frantic:

Hmp94kJ.jpg

fu38OXx.jpg

Edited by AlexM

Alex, I've just come across the following book on eBay, listed by our own Rich Carrick:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Hampden-File-Harry-Moyle-Air-Britain-Superb-Book-SCARCE-/321706136605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae72e141d

It's The Hampden File - Harry Moyle - Air Britain, in case you're wondering.

Kev

In my eyes it's a really cool looking plane. And for sure it played it's role until the arrival of the heavy 4-enginded bombers.

This evening I made a promising discoverage. I cut and sanded the two inner halves of the right wing, so that the maximum thicknes where the wings are kinked correspond with the drawing in the warpaint book (about 17 mm at the red line on the pics below). Then I put my SM.79 cowling with the correct diameter as a dummy, and discovered that the nacelle now has the right height. It's just not wide enough (about 2 mm left an right), what must be fixed with plastic and putty. But it will be much easier just to fix the sides than the complete nacelles :frantic:

18_zpstxcsehzc.jpg

20150401_205123_zps02rywrut.jpg

The profile of the nacelle above the upper wing still looks weird, though. But, as you said, major puttying and sanding in perspective anyway !

Hubert

Note, the windscreen is wider at it's base than the width of the fuselage. A metal fairing supports the windscreen. The sliding

canopy rails stand proud of the fuselage as well.

DSCF2024.jpg

Here's a pic of my full size Hampden cockpit.

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere

Great work! Love the Hampden!

Fantastic, one of my favorite aircraft. I am planning for one too, have already scratchbuilt a tailplane. Still waiting for Tigger to send the reworked kit.

This will be my topic numero uno to watch.

Cees

There is a reworked kit? Mine is banana shaped all over...is it because of this?

/Anders

Banana shaped? That describes mine very well :)

Thomas, it would be great to see some progress on your Ki-45 :thumbsup:

Cees, thanks for the photo. The canopy will be slipped over the fuselage so it will be wider than the fuselage.

The cockpit is by far not “superdetailed†since at the end, not that much will be visible from the interior, unless one glues the canopy in the open position.

One of the most difficult tasks (if not the most difficult part) are the wings. The wing-halves are very thin and soft, so they need some kind of internal structure to make them stable. This structure will consist of spars and ribs, and it takes careful advance planning to take the wheel wells, the flaps, the ailerons and even the landing lights into account.

When I draw some test lines on the inside of the inner-upper-right wing part (strange word), I realized that things are more complicated than I thought. Below is picture of the part, and the same picture with colored lines to make explanation easier.

xuVM2G5.jpg

On the picture, the outer left red line is the place where the wings are kinked, and where the outer parts of the wings will be later attached. This line should be parallel with flight direction/longitudinal axis (viewed from above). So I initially lined up everything to that red line:

• Since the wings were very slightly swept, the green line on the leading edge has a bit more than 90°, that's good on the kit.
  • The green and blue lines form the same line on the kit, as well as on the drawing in the Warpaint book. Seems good? Well, today I bought a digital copy of some original manuals of the Hampden. Those manuals contain drawings that show that the blue line (leading edge between fuselage and engine) is not swept, but at right angle to the fuselage (thus to the flight direction/longitudinal axis). According to these drawing, the wings are just swept from the engines outwards. Problem!
  • Finally, I realized that the nacelle on the kit is at right angle to the complete leading edge, what would be good concerning the inner leading edge to the fuselage, but is bad concerning the swept leading edge outwards. Consequently, the nacelle is not parallel to the red line/ longitudinal axis, but it should be (its hard to see on the picture).

So, how could those problems be solved? First I thought I could simple line up the whole wing according to the direction of the nacelle, and consequently trim the left red line a bit. But this would simply move the problem to another place, as then the green line wouldn't be swept anymore.

Finally, I realized that the problem could only be solved by some serious “surgeryâ€. I cut away a large triangular part on the outer side of wing-halve, removed a very pointed triangle along the cutting-line of the wing-part, and reatached the large triangle part. Now, the nacelle will be parallel to the longitudinal axis, the inner leading edge will be at right angle to the longitudinal axis, and the outer leading edge will be swept.

4CIsnrb.jpg

wBN6Vww.jpg

That's it for today. To continue planing the internal structure, some pictures/drawings of the wheel wells would be great. There are non in the Warpaint books. And the original mauals aren't very helpfull in that aspect, as well. So, if anyone has some pics/drawings, that would be very helpfull. At the moment, the only thing I could orient myself are other Hampden models in smaller scale :help:

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

fascinating & brilliant!

I have always wanted to see one of these built and you are doing a superb job on it Alex

really looking forward to seeing what comes next and how you go about the wings - I too have that problem to solve soon :hmmm:

Peter

Cees, great photos. Would be a cool workstation for a flight-simulator :hmmm:

If I would do the fuselage again, I would now put much more effort into it (in terms of adjusting the shape, but also regarding the internal details), and finish it with open canopy. As long as you want the canopy in closed, and use the kit's clear parts (not direct "cristal clear"), this is not not strictly necessary, since just little will be visible.

For today, there's not too much progress. With the help of Hubert, I now have a imagination of the layout of the wheel wells. They don't seem to be that difficult, and won't neet too much detailing. Now I realized, that the upper side of the wings were completly planked, and the upper nacelles were later mounted thereon. So, the wheel wells didnt reach into the upper nacelles (for what I know, the upper nacelles housed oil-tanks and a dinghy). Therefore, I closed the bulge of the nacelle of the upper part of the wing with styrene sheet. The wheel well will later be built upon that sheet. (it will be more narrow than the sheet on the picture below). At the moment, my plan for the internal structure looks like this:

PZB1drq.jpg

Next I will prepare the parts for the left wings to the same status as the right wings. Then I will start creating the parts for the internal frame.

Kind regards

Alex

Edited by AlexM