Lanc news

Guest Smitty44

Well given it's a CAD view, it's certainly looking very 'Lancy' (or Lancish), and the canopy 'facial expression' looks much improved over the Tamiya model.

The small fuselage windows aren't that big a deal (would a thin skin over with an Airfix airliner kit-style shaped plastic punch be do-able?)

The 'donuts' on the engine/wing junctions need further work though. 

IIRC, the Lancaster was the first bomber to benefit from the RAE Farnborough's work on the optimum placing for wing mounted prop engines. Those bulges definitely need to go before any metal is cut.

26562905409_1308cb5b8b_b.jpg

But, the CAD looks a bit odd: one wing bigger than the other

23319037_1928004347449181_71417282098991

It isn't really. Having kicked about CAD for years, there is no perspective used in the image. Your eye expects things that are further away to be smaller*, this image isn't rendered that way

Richard

*I feel a Father Ted moment coming on

One of my early concerns way back when, was the taper on the engine nacelles and smallness of the spinners. The photo above indicates that the nacelles may not have been fixed after all this time.

Very true. As with any cowled Merlin engine, any tapering occurs after the cylinder block, at the very tip of the prop end of the cowling.

I think I can say with total confidence that, whatever else y'all may or may not find wrong with the kit when it arrives, one wing will definitely NOT be bigger than the other.

I have no inside information, just a wildass guess.

<thinks> how long before someone turns up evidence of a mark of Lanc that had dissimilar size wings <unthinks>

Richard

Every once in a while my better half has suggested a coffee table. I hate the darn things. They are a nemesis. Ankle basher trip hazard before the morning coffee fixes my brain. Other times too. Next time I could agree While suggesting a box like one with a glass top just big enough for the Lancaster. A good compromise I am thinking.

Rick