HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

My laptop crashed but I'll post pics once I'm back.

It is fun building the same plane from two different manufacturers at the same time. It wasn't what I had planned to do but just seemed to make sense. Well, to me anyways.

Carl

So a quick re-cap on what I've done so far.

I've assembled both engines. The first one i used all the parts and for the other, just the parts needed if building it with closed cowl panels.

IMG_20150715_221651.jpg

IMG_20150715_221702.jpg

IMG_20150715_223152.jpg

IMG_20150715_223208.jpg

The HK kit has the rudder pedals moulded in place. Eduard provides PE replacements for them but there are quite a few parts for them.

IMG_20150715_224710.jpg

Here they are installed on the IP.

IMG_20150716_152847.jpg

Eduard seems to have changed/improved their printing process on their IP's. There doesn't seem to be any of the graininess that a lot of them seem to have.

IMG_20150716_231542.jpg

IMG_20150716_231603.jpg

It doesn't come out too well in the pics but I've used something new to me to replicate the instrument glass. I found a product called UV Gel Clear. It's made by a company called Gaia Notes from Japan and is originally intended for making the eyes on figures glossy. It's fairly thick and very easy to apply with a toothpick and is very clear and gloss. You then use a supplied UV pen to harden it. I'll try to get some better pics but the results are really impressive. You can even build it up a bit and get a fisheye look if desired. 

There's been some concern that the mould separation lines on the one piece fuselage and wings are quite heavy and negate the advantage of the way they're moulded. On my copy, they're no worse than any most other mainstream kit with one exception I'll get to. I think the reason for this concern is that HK has added some "texture" along the seams. You can see a similar effect around the light mount and circular port in this picture:

a52d4b49-4422-43d1-837a-649d8f7019ec.jpg

I'm not certain if HK is trying to replicate some surface texture or if it's a side effect of the mould cutting process. Either way, it doesn't take much more than a few swipes from a sanding stick to remove.

The same is true of the main wing. There is one slight flaw that seems to be from a cutout in the mould for replacing part of the leading edge of the wing for a different version later on. You can make it out between the two circular ports in this pic.

IMG_20150716_225759.jpg

The upper side:

IMG_20150716_225809.jpg

That was the worst of it and it didn't take long to remove with a hand grinder sanding stick.

IMG_20150716_230026.jpg

IMG_20150716_230035.jpg

More to follow tonight.

This Eduard IP looks much better than a previous attempt (for the P-39) I have in my stash ...

Good work on the rudder pedals ....

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! The pedals are slightly askew actually but they came out much better than I thought they would.

I'm just about to get started on this kit too. I have the Eduard PE cockpit set and canopy mask set coming from Sprue Pros. I plan to use the FineMolds seatbelts but that is subject to change. The a/c I intend to do is from 692 sqdn, P3*C. On doing a little research on Google I'm finding that HK has the squadron codes on the left side reversed. Instead of P3*C it should be C*P3. The right side is ok. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I ordered the decal sheet from EagleCals but I'm not really inspired by any of the a/c depicted there. I hope the Mk. VI sheet will be better. Now I figure we'll be seeing quite a number of Mossie builds, both HK and Tamiya which I really look forward to seeing. Carl, you are setting the bar pretty high on these!! :)

Thanks John! Coming from you, that's a really big compliment. I'm still in awe of your numerous Corsair builds.

Eduard do a set of fabric belts for the Mossie. I have two sets as I'll use one in my Tamiya build. I didn't see the canopy masks or I'd have picked those up too. I think your right on the codes on the fuselage. One side is always backwards compared to the other. I'm planning to do Grim Reaper from the EagleCals sheet. I figure I don't have anything in a night scheme and it'll complement the Coastal Command scheme on the Tamiya. Aviaeology may be coming out with a Mk IV sheet and Xtradecal had one coming.

Very nice work so far!HÃ¥kan

Thanks HÃ¥kan! Great to see your watching this built too.

Carl

Those textures are deliberate.

The moulds were laser etched to replicate the fabric tapes that were applied around various ports and joins.

It's a shame if you've sanded them away.

Thanks for the clarification James. Thankfully I haven't sanded them away but as I mentioned, I think they're the reason some have complained about large mould seamlines. 

I haven't had a chance to work on the kit the last couple of days. It's been bloody hot here and I've been too tired after work to do much. Hopefully, it'll be more tolerable and  I won't feel so drained.

Carl

At the risk of repeating myself, I mentioned on a previous thread that I thought that the spar caps on the upper mainplane surfaces on both this and the Tamiya Mosquito are a tad too prominent. If this much material was presented into the airflow, then it would surely cause a lot of drag. I, and I am sure many others would like to know if indeed the caps are this far into the airflow?

A very curious H.K. Mosquito owner, soon to be started (when I have the answers),

Bob