Luftwaffe graveyard shift

• 2 weeks later...

post-542-1205631235.jpg

post-542-1205631249.jpg

post-542-1205631261.jpg

Just a quick update. Got the rear fuselage done now its time to start closing it up. l was just going for the boxes and the tank but there were spherical shaped air bottles in there too. l would not feel right without adding them too. If you going to do it at least do it right l guess. Basically they are crafting beads that are glued to styrene rod and painted. The air line is solder.

well thats all for now l should have more tomorrow

later

One of the smallest detail in the cockpit whether you go my route or just use the one in the kit is the instructment panel. This is one of the details that makes it stand out between the R11 night fighter and your standard 190A.

post-542-1205846869.jpg

As you can see in this picture the ammo counters in the upper left hand corner have been removed and a radar scope or screen has been installed. This is a must to do this or the plane will just be a 190A with antennas

post-542-1205847050.jpg

Ths drawing will show you the kit panel and what to remove

post-542-1205847161.jpg

l cut a small piece of 0.5 mm piece of styrene and a thin slice of 3/16 styrene tubing to make the radar screen. l cut the tubing a little thicker so l could sand it down to the proper height. At the moment this is where this stands until l fire up the airbrush to paint again but l thought you would like to see how l modified the panel to R11 standards

later gang

post-542-1206228101.jpg

post-542-1206228113.jpg

Using the information l have l tried to detail up the landing gear the best l could.

post-542-1206229555.jpg

post-542-1206229578.jpg

l don't know about you but the wheels dont make it for me. Somehow l think the wheel hubs are wrong. Correct me if l am wrong but l think they are backwards. The venting on the hub should be on the front and not the back . Which means what is the front either had to be on the back or its wrong totally and a new back needs to be made. l would like some input on this.

Anyways l am sure you guys can sort this out.

later

The wheels look OK but I'm not sure about the rubber boots on the leg rams. I thought only early 190's had them.

l had thought about removing the boot but l was concern of messing up the angle of the wheel to the gear. l may still end up doing just that but we will see. As for the wheel hubs there is just something that feels not right here. l could be wrong .

post-542-1206274701.jpg

The hub half on the left is as far as l know the correct style and should be on the outside not on the inside. The one on the right l have no clue if this even is close to anything that was on the 190A series

post-542-1206274846.jpgpost-542-1206274869.jpg

here is two different shots of the wheel and l think this is the correct version that is suppose to be on a 190A. But as one always have to question museum restored version

ok l will be interested in what you guys have to say on this

later

Squadron's FW190 In Action has diagrams describing the wheel on the right, from your pic, as being an A-3 mainwheel. The solid disc on the left being an A-8 variation, so that would probably be the more correct version to use on your model.

The Airfix wheel hubs have separate insides and outsides for a reason, the side towards the strut is the side with the BRAKE on it, and is approximately appropriate for all versions. The side away from the strut is the early A version with holes in it and later machines would have a simple dished hub, NOT a duplicate of the brake side hub.

The photo shows a fake brake side hub, it is NOT an original part.

• 3 weeks later...
post-542-1203352436.jpg

post-542-1203352448.jpg

l build the interior to better represent what you would find when the access door of the tail is opened. Using drawings l have l was able to construct this as prototypical as l could

post-542-1203352463.jpg

l kept checking to see if the tail wheel assemble fits properly

post-542-1203352486.jpg

l even dry fitted the other fuselage half on to make sure everything fit and it looks proper

Well back to the wheel wells. Hopefully l will have those done and move on to the wing gun bays.

later

Hey Haker,

You are a "godsend" my friend! :P I also have this Airfix kit waiting in my kit collection, that I "hope" to make my best build yet! :lol: I've actually purchased everything that Jerry Rutman has for improving this kit (Jerry Rutman 1/24 Fw-190) in the hope that I could actually do it justice. Like you're doing! ;) I've honestly researched - and researched some more - with regard to building this kit. And I haven't built the kit to-date, only because of wanting to improve my building skills "before" beginning. :( My last 1/24 scale Airfix kit - the Me-109 - was also my first. Now that age and a little more patience :blink: has helped me to realize there was - and still is - PLENTY of room for improvement on my part, I've decided to - take it slow and learn all I can from modelers like yourself. And truth is - these kits offer PLENTY of AMPLE ROOM for some serious improvement/detailing - to say the least.

In any case, after looking at your tailwheel assembly photos, I found myself wondering how you handled a known "flaw" with the Airfix Fw-190 kit. After reading other modlers problems with this same kit, I found out that this "flaw" can totally wreck the "sitting stance" (if you will) of this kit! :( It seems that the mounting points for the tailwheel have the entire assembly "recessed" way too deep up into the tail. If assembled using the "stock" mounting points the model sits quite funny! And with the tailwheel so "deep" in the tail, it makes the model's nose sit quite high - effectively destroying the "correct parked/static stance" of the finished model. :ph34r:

Having said this, may I ask you to explain what you did to correct this obvious problem with the tailwheel assembly.

MANY Thanks,

BlueMax

• 4 weeks later...

going to get back to it soon l been trying to finish up my mig 3 (posting very soon) and had to go out of town to fetch some supplies to finish things. l want to take the mig 3 to a contest just to blow people away for a change. l am going to remove the boot on the 190 and l am seeing about getting a new set of wheels or atleast try to fix these ones for it so stay tuned

later

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Have you taken a break? Will you continue the build?

I found it interesting and want to see more.

No actually l have not in fact l have something you gents might be interested in. l have been busy making masters for parts for the Airfix 190 and l made castings of these parts