A Tale of Two Falcons

Uncarina

I've been on a bit of a Star Wars binge lately, and after working in a desultory fashion on my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon, I took the plunge and purchased not one but TWO Bandai Millennium Falcons. They arrived within a week of each other: first the Perfect Grade 1/72 kit, then the 1/144 smaller counterpart. They have many similarities:
--snap-together
--astounding detail
--build sequence
--complexity
--stellar fit

And some differences:
--scale, obviously
--the PG kit is based faithfully upon the 5 foot prototype built for "A New Hope" (for example, the Bandai engineers purchased all of the original model kits used in the original prototype and scaled down all of the parts used from these kits)
--The PG kit comes with lights
--the 1/144 version is based upon “The Force Awakens†version (eg, five landing gear, different radar)

I recommend building the smaller version first. I had a blast building it, and can't stop looking at it: the detail really sucks you in.

tRMKoCL.jpg

nUHd29O.jpg

zon8mvm.jpg

The biggest modification I made was performing surgery to remove the overly raised greebly detail atop the bridge tunnel, and lowering it to a level that more closely matched the prototype. I bought Shapeways parts for the bridge windows, the round radar dish, and the gunners windows, and Green Strawberry photoetched grills. After a black base coat I painted it with a mix of Tamiya XF-2 White and XF-55 Deck Tan, with some gray. After an overcoat with Holloway House Quick Shine I applied almost all of the 100+ decals, then weathered with Flory Washes and pastels.

s53aKx6.jpg

FtcTvsJ.jpg

uk9SgIu.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

Amazing detail. And the Perfect Grade version is even better! I have more confidence and familiarity with this kit now that I completed the smaller (and MUCH less expensive) 1/144 version. For this build I've started with the bridge. Even though the Bandai kits come molded in "appropriate" colors, I painted the interior Tamiya XF-63 German Gray, then after a coat of Quick Shine I used the kit decals almost exclusively. I started with my usual decal softener, Solvaset, but for whatever reason the Micro-Sol/Micro-Set combination worked much better:

oTrDkvC.jpg

Nm9Qs8R.jpg

fmlr5vT.jpg

VFMIokF.jpg

As I mentioned the build progresses in the same sequence as for the 1/144 kit:bridge, then mandibles, then main body, adding a lot of detail along the way. Some suggestions:

--use a fine saw to remove the more delicate parts from the sprues

--if you are using a dark basecoat, precoat the maintenance bays before attaching them to the ship, due to the overhangs. Once installed, paint won't reach these areas.

--make sure each part is seated fully to it's mating part.

I'm really enjoying this--hope you do too!

Cheers, Tom

VHrS3FR.jpg

lpmQIjw.jpg

GrB9vBD.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

Wow! Those look fantastic! I passed by the PG 72nd scale kit a couple of times at my LHS until they sold it............

Always wantwd one, but so far it's been out of reach financially. I like the 144th version, but will probably wait until Spring to see if I have any tax refund money to alot for one.

The 1/144 one looks great Tom and you're making some great progress on the PG kit.

I've managed to get all three Bandai kits in the stash. You're missing the 1/350 one.

So far I've only built the FM 1/144 kit so it looks I may have catching up to do.

Carl

Wow! Those look fantastic! I passed by the PG 72nd scale kit a couple of times at my LHS until they sold it............

Always wantwd one, but so far it's been out of reach financially. I like the 144th version, but will probably wait until Spring to see if I have any tax refund money to alot for one.

Brian, thank you! These kits are an absolute blast. I hope that refund works well for you.

Fantastic stuff, Tom! The detail in the cockpit of the PG version is amazing. They're out of my price range, unfortunately, but really do look terrific.

Kev

Kev, thanks, you are very kind! I was skeptical about the decals, but Micro-Sol/Set, along with some TLC, works miracles.

The 1/144 one looks great Tom and you're making some great progress on the PG kit.

I've managed to get all three Bandai kits in the stash. You're missing the 1/350 one.

So far I've only built the FM 1/144 kit so it looks I may have catching up to do.

Carl

Carl, thanks! I read good things about the 1/350 kit, but I'm trying to limit my scale diversity, especially since I have two Slave One kits in the queue. I really recommend the 1/144 kit. Have you seen this? https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/bandai-s-millennium-falcon

Happy Holidays! Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Gaz,

Thanks! The fit is also amazing, and the 1/144 decals fit pefectly. As the author of the link I posted above wrote, the 1/144 kit punches above its weight! One of the nice things about the kit is that the focus can readily shift from assembly to finish, due to the great fit.

Cheers, Tom

An update. The PG kit is MASSIVE.

KX6YXOS.jpg

It is going together well. I've read from some others that they have a gap in one of the underside maintenance bays; when I looked, there is indeed molded spacers that creates this gap, so it must be a feature of the 5' version. I've also read that some had a gap around one of the docking bays, and I had this also when test-fitting. This is not intentional. I found that the two lower hull halves, parts M1 and N1, had not seated fully together, and apparently this is easy to overlook. When I had them fully together the gap went away.

m3lB1Sd.jpg

v3Y1AXF.jpg

Overall it is a fast build, and surprisingly heavy!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Looks great! I'm going to try the 1/144 version before I start the big one. I have the Bandai TFA version, but I just got a payment invoice for the new TLJ boxing, which supposedly corrects the mirrored side panels in the original release.

Dave, thanks! I read that the TLJ version is improved, though strangely Bandai changed how the engine grills are attached, meaning there are holes to be filled if you use aftermarket photoetch.

Cheers, Tom

Looking Stellar!

When I see that bridge-Cockpit, I hear "Chewie Get Us Outa Here!"

Thanks! There are some great looking aftermarket figures available, and I am tempted: https://www.shapeways.com/product/2EABEEVNU/1-72-scale-figure-for-bandai-millennium-falcon?optionId=63810353&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V2CYLTUY9/1-72-scale-figure-for-bandai-millennium-falcon?optionId=63806296

Cheers, Tom

You're really making a lot of headway on this build Tom.

The detail really is impressive. I haven't had the time to look at my kits more closely.

I've ordered the Green Strawberry PE set for the 1/144 version so once I have those I might start with that one.

Check out Falcon3D parts for some great looking figures. He's got several sets so you can choose who you want in the cockpit.

http://www.falcon3dparts.com/bandai_figures_d/

BTW, I forgot I had what has to be the most screen accurate Falcon from TFA in my stash:

20171226_232924-L.jpg

Carl

Carl,

I must yield to the superior plushness! I shared a Shapeways link to the same figures. They look amazing, and it is indeed the price holding me back, which I know is funny considering the cost of the kit! For the 1/144 build the Green Strawberry photoetch worked perfectly, and I used Quickshine (a Future floor polish alternative) to attach. One challenge is that the parts are not keyed, so I had to line them up by eye.

Cheers, Tom