Kinetic Hawk 100

BloorwestSiR

So, while waiting for work on my Seafire conversion to dry, I broke this kit out. I guess I figured the kit is so new that there isn't any AM out there for it yet so it would fit this GB by default rather perfectly. I haven't given up on the X-15 yet, just need to figure some things out. But in the meantime, here we go:

111.jpg

Carl

For some reason, I completely ignored the instructions and started with putting the MLG bays together. Not sure why but I don't think it'll impact much.

118.jpg

Each gear bay is made up of 3 side panels. The fit is ok but a couple of the parts were warped from the way the kit is packaged. They weren't too bad and both were wasy enough to straighten out.

I then did the intake trunking which will have a pair of full length seams on them. Not sure what to do about those so we'll see how noticable they are. More pics to come but I wanted to see how it would all come together so I used some tape to mock it up:

121.jpg

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Nice start on the Hawk. Like your approach to the the kit and should be a terrific OOB build to follow.

Keep 'em coming

Hi Carl,

I haven't looked in here for a while, so when I saw in another post that you were starting on this kit, I just had to have a look. Nice start so far and good feedback - and as for the instructions, they are only a 'suggested' guide anyway! :D

If you need any advice on aspects of this particular aircraft, please feel free to ask me and I shall attempt to answer any queries that you may have.

good luck

Derek

Hi Carl,

I haven't looked in here for a while, so when I saw in another post that you were starting on this kit, I just had to have a look. Nice start so far and good feedback - and as for the instructions, they are only a 'suggested' guide anyway! :D

If you need any advice on aspects of this particular aircraft, please feel free to ask me and I shall attempt to answer any queries that you may have.

good luck

Derek

Hi Derek,

I thought you might like this build. So far, the best bit of advice would be around the colours for the aircraft. The paint callouts are a bit sparse. Not as bad as the Dragon BF-110 kit where they're pretty much non existant but close. Also, the paint suggestions are all Vallejo numbers which has made it fun. Between using Vallejo's website and the LHS who stock Vallejo thankfully I wa able to figure out what most of the colours are. Annoyingly, Vallejo doesn't group/list their paint in numberical order which made it even more fun :hmmm:

Here's where I am and hopefully, it's not too far off. The cockpit is straightforward and simply a tub with a pair of pedals front and back along with sticks and throttles. I painted the cockpit sky grey with black panels, clear green over the black for the MFD screens and a light drybrush:

002.jpg

I checked beforehand and the coamings and bang seats can be fitted after the fuselage halves are together.

So, would the seats use the same belt configuration as on the Hawk T1 (Revell kit)? I have a PE belt set for that kit and might use it if they are the same.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I followed the instructions (!) and assembled the pair of intake trunks. They tell you to install them in each fuselage half separately and then you join them when the two halves come together.

Here's the starboard side in place. The seam on the outside of the trunking is worse than what's on the inside.

005.jpg

Not a great pic but there is a visible seam which I tried to fill with dissolved sprue. There's a bit of a self leveling to the dissolved sprue so hopefully that will lessen the amount of work needed.

003.jpg

The exhaust pipe is quite small and the lip at the exposed end is quite thin so you should take a bit of care there as it's easily dented.

006.jpg

Again like the intakes, there are some small bumps in the molding on the inside of the pipe but they were quickly removed with an scrape of an X-acto knife. Sorry but I couldn't get any decent pics of them.

Lastly, the NLG bay gets installed and just in case, I added a small bit of nose weight. Two cents worth:

007.jpg

One, because although the instructions don't call for any, I thought I should be safe, and two, the penny was phased out in Canada yesterday so got to do something with all that change!

At this point, the fuselage is ready to be joined together.

Looking forward to see more.

Keep going.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I don't build as quick as you do but i figured this should go easy enough.

Your F-4EJ decals are on their way to you too.

So happy to see you tackle this kit.

I've got one on the to do pile and I'm itching to start.

Edge of my seat.

Dan

Part of the reason I decided on this kit was I haven't seen any done yet. That and it was on top of the pile as the newest arrival :innocent:

Carl

Nice start on the Hawk. Like your approach to the the kit and should be a terrific OOB build to follow.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter, can't wait to get more done.

Hi Derek,

I thought you might like this build. So far, the best bit of advice would be around the colours for the aircraft. The paint callouts are a bit sparse. Not as bad as the Dragon BF-110 kit where they're pretty much non existant but close. Also, the paint suggestions are all Vallejo numbers which has made it fun. Between using Vallejo's website and the LHS who stock Vallejo thankfully I wa able to figure out what most of the colours are. Annoyingly, Vallejo doesn't group/list their paint in numberical order which made it even more fun :hmmm:

Here's where I am and hopefully, it's not too far off. The cockpit is straightforward and simply a tub with a pair of pedals front and back along with sticks and throttles. I painted the cockpit sky grey with black panels, clear green over the black for the MFD screens and a light drybrush:

002.jpg

I checked beforehand and the coamings and bang seats can be fitted after the fuselage halves are together.

So, would the seats use the same belt configuration as on the Hawk T1 (Revell kit)? I have a PE belt set for that kit and might use it if they are the same.

Hi Carl,

The seat should look similar to this:

630_prod_edit_IMAGE_PRODPAGE_LARGE.jpg

20.jpg

Link to CT-115 walk around: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/awa01/401-500/awa459-CT-155-Spenard/00.shtm

airframe72001reviewmd_2.jpg

Although not a Hawk Mk.10 lightweight seat, the above does provide some useful colour references (numbers are for Humbrol paints).

hawk-017b.jpg

Another walk around link: http://www.vaq136.com/lacrosse2/hawk.html

newTrick2.jpg

The Hawk cockpit, from memory, is dark Admiralty grey BS 381C (I will confirm this for you when I can check the aircraft build drawings tomorrow).

BS381%20632.jpg

Useful colour link for dark Admiralty grey here: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=BS%202660&cRef=BS%209-097&metallic2=False

Canadian wings link: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=BS%202660&cRef=BS%209-097&metallic2=False

Hopefully, that will help you for now.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like my cockpit is a bit on the light side. Oh well, doesn't look off too much. I'll compare your pics to the PE belts and see how close those are before I make a decision.

Found this photo over on the RCAF website and thought it was great:

http://www.airforceimagery.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?original=4666&site=casimages&catalog=casimages

Nice formation but sadly I missed it even though they're only 45 mins away from where I live.

Carl