1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Nicely re-engaged Taff :goodjob:

Like the others have said, if you need any advice with the scratchy stuff, just ask. Your first attempts at scratch building are miles ahead of mine when I first started!

Cheers

Derek

Wow Thanks Guys for all the kind words. I am very humbled by all the positive vibes!!!!

:)

It shows how generous the members are on this site. It also confirms why I joined this site - all this great help, advice and encouragement to all - what ever level you are at!

And trust me Derek I will sure be fishing this fab knowledge base that exists around here. Yep Phill there is not a whole lot in the kit – but the thick plastic does give you options!!!!! Just need the skills and time to do it.

Okay haven’t done too much lately some nasty illness with some Latin name the length of the alphabet. With some heavy tablets the size of a 303 bullet took me out for a week – but the drugs seem to be knocking it out so should be putting the game face back on this weekend. :thumbsup:

So the bit I did manage is trying to sort out the correct size of the decals.

As it was my first few days back at work nice light duties where in order – brew anyone!!!!!!

So I got a bit carried away and did a rough-ish profile of the plane.

I found some pics on the tinternet and from these worked out a guide for the stripes. Not brilliant pics so I am make it up as I go along!!! Especially the underside it looks like they had a wrap around camo. This make sense to me in the environment and how they where used.

The original profile shows a blue spinner but having a look at the pictures I am thinking that it is more like a green. Yeah I know it’s a black and white pic but I was looking more at the gray value.

BOPImage140.jpg

BOPImage82.jpg

All rights to original used to illustrate only.

What do you think blue or green?

Anyway here is the profiles. So now do I splash some dosh and get some masks made….. or do I try cutting my own?

013-CubanSeaFury.jpg

014-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Hope you like - should look good IMO ones painted up

So any help, crit or pointer always welcome

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi Guys – Now I seem to be beating what ever bug attacked me I felt up to getting back to bashing some plastic and bits together this weekend.

Okay some bits to finish in the front office the main bit missing being the chair. This took me a couple of attempts this one being my mark II – still a bit big - but think I will live with it. Then made the back quilt cushion with some Milliput. So with this done it was time to fit the bits together and see how it looked. Here are some pictures – quite pleased with my first attempt at this scratchy thing. Some bits look a bit to big and slightly out of scale but it’s all learning for the next time!!! And is a massive improvement on what you get with the kit.

017-CubanSeaFury.jpg

016-CubanSeaFury.jpg

018-CubanSeaFury.jpg

So onto some of the final bits for the cockpit :- Gyro gun site, Compass (in colour yeah!) and thing with leavers that sits on the left side wall.

019-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Final bit for now, finished the rudder by filling the lines in that are meant to be the trim actuator (on both sides?) and then made the actuator from some shaped scrap plastic, brass wire and tin foil.

015-CubanSeaFury.jpg

That’s all for now but scary bit is a check the fit of the pit into the fuselage. If all okay apply some paint. :yahoo:

Then the triple scary part the canopy. Any advise on how to cut this in half please don’t be shy with your wisdoms.

Hope you like - any help, crit advice always welcome.

Hi Taff,

Beautiful scratch work on your cockpit, tub and seat. Such a huge improvement over the kit parts.

The original profile shows a blue spinner but having a look at the pictures I am thinking that it is more like a green. Yeah I know it’s a black and white pic but I was looking more at the gray value

What do you think blue or green?

Blue. If nothing else it adds visual appeal.

So now do I splash some dosh and get some masks made….. or do I try cutting my own?

You could always drop Ian at AdAstra masks a line. My experience was second to none and you should n't have to pawn the wife to buy a set. :whistle:

Keep at it, this is fascinating stuff :thumbsup:

*Edit: smpelling

Edited by geedubelyer

Taff, this is amazing progress not only in terms of the build but your skills are so finely tuned already :wow:

As for the canopy, I would gently pack the rear part with blu tack (the canopy, not the windshield where you are cutting), define the cut line with insulating tape and go at it literally a stroke at a time with a razor saw, pulling backwards only until you are a few mm in. Just take it gently and don't squeeze the part too hard. the finer teeth on the saw the better...

I reckon with what you have done already it should be fairly straightforward, if a little scary...

Brilliant work - can't wait for more :popcorn:

Peter

Hi Taff,

Beautiful scratch work on your cockpit, tub and seat. Such a huge improvement over the kit parts.

Blue. If nothing else it adds visual appeal.

You could always drop Ian at AdAstra masks a line. My experience was second to none and you should n't have to pawn the wife to buy a set. :whistle:

Keep at it, this is fascinating stuff :thumbsup:

*Edit: smpelling

Hi Yep I'm more to the blue. I think this is more for the gate guard rather than what was in the field but it should attract the eye more.

I’ve seen Ian's stuff used on here before and think this is the way to go so will be contacting him in the very near future.

Tried to sell the wife before but she’s from up north :mental: and fare tough than me so I know I would loss on this one!!! :frantic:

Taff, not only is this orders of magnitude better than my first attempts at scratch-building stuff, it's probably better than I can do now! Really great stuff mate.

Kev

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kev - Trust me I have seen the standard you set!!!!!! Think I have a way to go yet to touch that standard - but I will keep trying.