2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

Took a break from filling and sanding to... do more filling and sanding :doh: ... the bulges on the top outer wings are two parts, a main section and a louvered section that fits inside to form the part... the louvers are not there on the season 1-3 ship so the detail had to be covered..

Ot806lw.jpg

I used thin sheet to fill in the louvers and sanded them down..

ViN4E28.jpg

The raised detail on the rear portion was sanded down..

QuwqZ4n.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

But... something wasn't right..... took me a bit but eventually the lightbulb came on !!  The part is quite steep sided ..almost arrowhead in cross section...

r247n7p.jpg

Whilst on the ship I'm building the bulges are domed, and have a slightly bigger 'footprint'...

HuoPiyr.jpg

Nothing for it but to build up plastic and sand it to shape...Thin sheet cut into strips and glued on... the thin strips conform to the shape easier than sheet..and you get better glue adhesion..

xsOWDuU.jpg

Sanded down....

3oiLxVT.jpg

and the cross section looks better on the side I've done....

RXFpAs1.jpg

So... onward... time to do the other side and keep on with the build.

More in a few days

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

I take it you mean the 1978 version ?... I thought it a much more realistic design and that it was a big, heavy destroyer type ship, good for fighter or ground attack.

Cheers

Vaughn

The Monogram kit version, whatever that's from, probably the original TV show, or perhaps the pilot for same.

Yep, that's the one, Vaughn. The Monogram kit is readily affordable, but I'd like to eventually get the Moebius version as well. I have the original movie on DVD, and watched the old series all the time. I don't have a lot of sci-fi stuff, but what I do have is pretty cool. Figuring out where to put the monstrous C-57D from Forbidden Planet, continues to be a major problem. (I really need to finish my Romulan Warbird one of these days too.)

The Moebius kit is great by itself, upgrades can make it stunning... as seen in this shot from a model show I went to a couple of months ago..

And for size comparison ... with the Moebius original series Viper

spJj6Eq.jpg

Cheers

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Back to the build... Just a brief update tonight.... I planked the other side of the bulge, sanded it to shape, slapped on some putty, sanded that and....I think this is going to look the part...

1bHeVVT.jpg

NOkY2Cx.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

One of the biggest challenges is going to be the inner leading edge of the wing... on the season 4 ship it is just a smooth angle, but on the earlier version there is a complex, rounded section inset...

nxWPEzt.jpg

I cut a rough pattern from the top view and drew in the shape on the plastic..Two sheets of .060 were glued together and the pattern drawn on.... this is gonna be 'fun' ?...

ec36cYS.jpg

retrhIR.jpg

Wish me luck !!

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

The amount of plastic to be removed is a bit scary....With the lower wing panel fitted om I was concerned about keeping the leading edge line...

TdrK9V1.jpg

Nothing for it but to start cutting and hope I don't screw up...

sYPVoGG.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The way I did it was to carve thin strips off the parts... the plastic curls away and then I nip it off at the base... slow but sure, eyeballing it all the way...

SsDmcbW.jpg

And a few min later....

JSaHp7e.jpg

The new leading edge part was cut to shape and a slot cut to fit the side of the fuselage....

DAbjPfb.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Area's that needed to have raised detail removed are picked out in black pencil...

yt32ITn.jpg

Things look pretty good...

NVN8UpC.jpg

The leading edge seems to line up well....It'll need a shim to fill the space between the top of the part and the bottom of the wing.

WNDYUnC.jpg

And finally the two thin detail strips cut from sheet....

wH7Oiin.jpg

So... I think I might just be able to manage this... Tune in next time..the madness continues !! :evil_laugh:

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

The Moebius kit is great by itself, upgrades can make it stunning... as seen in this shot from a model show I went to a couple of months ago..

And for size comparison ... withe the Moebius original series Viper

547284_10153287189165054_176778449_n_zps

Cheers

Vaughn

I'm very curious about all those boom stands in the photo. What were they for?