1/32 P-38L "Kicked Up A Notch". Jan 15/16: FINISHED!

chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

Nice to see the start of the P-38 build and I see what you mean about the spinners not matching the engine nacelle profile. besides being a bit too tall it also seems in the photos to be a bit too wide.

Looking forward to to the build with great enthusiasm and interest.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Chuck just read this thread and i caught up on the past three pages...fantastic job on saving the top part of the fuse/wings...

I built this one a while back also in nmf, but i did it oob, so im really looking forward to see how this build will come out with all the am stuff...

Ill be tagging along  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Karim

Great to see you posting this build on here Chuck, Aeroclub should have some pewter, lead-free, metal u/c available soon, be a better option than the SAC gear.

Any idea when this Aeroclub gear will be ready?  I've already written off the SAC gear (not good), so I'm now going to go with the kit gear and Eduard PE, which can turn out pretty good.

Thanks guys.  Since I haven't posted here before and you might think I'm chicken to do a detailed engine, here's my P-51D build I did a little over a year and half ago.  It turned out pretty good, but like I said, with the engine cowlings on, I haven't seen the engine for a year!

EngineTrain5.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine4.jpg

Any idea when this Aeroclub gear will be ready?  

Should be about a week.

The late Ted Taylor used them a few moons ago, I recently contacted John about buying a set, he didn't ever release them, and he's going to produce some this week I think, will let you know when he gets back to me.

http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/130-trumpeter-p-38/page-130.html

Edited by Kagemusha

You may want to have a look at some photos and the length of the front gear fork. Some say the gear is short near the oleo. :hmmm:    But if you length it, you also weaken it and you also have to add more weight to counter the teeter tater  effect  :doh:     Jerry R. made one at one time. The front gear that is.

Cheers

Danny

I used it on mine. If you can find one, get it. You may try PMing Jerry to see if has any laying around. I totally agree about SAC gear, they suck. But thats all that was available at the time. The kit legs aren't that strong.......Harv

Chuck,

I love your models and your build report. I hope to see lot's of nice picture's of your build. Your A-10 is a very high standard for A-10 modelbuilders.

I have a A10 in the 1/32 in my showcase. But i think it will go to my trashcan. I think i will buy a new A10 and start all over again.

Lot's of fun with your P38 build

Greetings

Rogiér

The engines/spinners didn't fit correctly for me either.  I also just cut the pins off and glued the spinners to the nacelles. Use all the available space available to add balancing weight- gun bay, engines, space ahead of the firewalls.  As far as the set of the nose gear, I drilled (very slowly and carefully) out enough space in the upper and lower gear segments and used brass rod to lengthen and add some strength for the oleo.  The plane did sit tail low when not loaded especially the ammunition bay. 

Montex makes a neat mask set for Corky Smith's aircraft from the 8th FG in New Guinea- actually a J not an L. This is the one I intended to do before I canned the kit out of frustration. Stay with it. The P-38 is one my favorites! Wish it was better served in kitform!

Hi Chuck. I just got back from a work trip to discover this thread. This is a nice surprise.

Thanks for taking the time to share the build here as well as on ARC.

I was lucky enough to see the Red Bull P-38 at Duxford a little while ago. A potent blend of grace and power that looked astonishing in it's highly polished finish. I'm not a huge fan of the massive "Red Bull" logo emblazoned on the nose but if it keeps these beautiful warbirds in the air, I'm prepared to tolerate it! :wicked:

I look forward to seeing how this one goes together. Good luck.

Cheers.

Thanks guys.  My short time here at LSP has convinced me already that I should have done this long ago!  I've got much more useful information here than I'm used too so early in the build. 

Also, just so you know and won't hold back, I like my build threads to have all sorts of stuff relevant to the subject at hand posted within it, so if you have anything P-38 related you'd like to add, feel free to clutter this thread up with anything you want.  The more stuff you and I post, the more we'll all learn about the P-38 and this particular kit.  The front gear scissor link mentioned above and my discovery that the engines sit too low appears to be old news, so if you have any other tips before I get to certain stages of the build, bring it!

Thanks,

Chuck