P-47D Thunderbolt

machine_marty

Very nice progress so far.

Today i ordered this Eduard kit so I'm very curious about the rest of the build, i will follow this with great intrest.

Do you know which color scheme you gonna use??

Greetz

Danny

I'm going to use the box art 'Dottie Mae' scheme, which is one of the main reasons for buying the kit. The Eduard decals are superb, some of the best provided with a kit.

Onto the kit and having had chance for a closer look, there's a few sink marks to deal with. Nothing major but definitely have to be tackled if a natural metal scheme is chosen...

IMG_5227_zpscjjhewaa.jpg

IMG_5226_zpsfsdqx2xk.jpg

Cockpit test fitted between the fuselage halves - perfect :)

IMG_5228_zpsitl9eqqu.jpg

Till next time.....

Martin,

Figuring out the proper color for P-47Ds cockpits has basically defied most historians. Surviving examples seem to have been painted what's referred to as Dark Dull Green, rather then what one would expect to be Interior Green. To really throw that a curve into the equation, both Republic and Curtiss built Jugs, and both used a different shade of interior green, with Curtiss's being a truer Interior Green.

From what I've read on the subject, the official Republic manual states that the cockpits should be coated with a single coat of Zinc Chromate primer tinted to cut down on glare. The tint was usually black and thus the color looked a darkish green.

Once the cockpit is buttoned up, it naturally becomes darker as less direct light will reach it. You could always apply a dark wash, and take care of the issue that way.

BTW, I really like how you soldered the PE seat. I really need to learn how to solder.

Joel

I'm going to use the box art 'Dottie Mae' scheme, which is one of the main reasons for buying the kit. The Eduard decals are superb, some of the best provided with a kit.

Onto the kit and having had chance for a closer look, there's a few sink marks to deal with. Nothing major but definitely have to be tackled if a natural metal scheme is chosen...

Great choice Martin, same here, i will do the "Dottie May".

Also thank's for the heads up warning about those sink marks. Surely must keep that in mind. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Yes, those sink marks are easy enough to sort with Mr Surfacer and/or superglue.

The fuselage halves have been glued together without issue, but I knocked a bottle of Tamiya Cement over the top halves of the flaps at the weekend so that has delayed progress somewhat whilst I sort those out. :oops:

Needless to say, in good old after the horse has bolted fashion, I've bought/made bottle holders to prevent future disasters..! I'll post photos soon.

Martin

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Did you finish this AWESOME  build of yours?

What you have done this far looks SUPERB.

:thumbsup:

:hmmm:

Yes, I did finish this - but for the life of me I can't remember why I didn't continue this build thread..! Must be my age :sorry:

The kit is in a box, in the garage, under other stuff - one day I may just get it back out and post some pics. Thanks for the positive comments though :)