Cute King Tiger

Hardcore

Today I received Mengs little king tiger. A quick inspection confirmed what photos on the web has already shown, corrections will be too much work. Especially the Turret. (In comparison the tiger 1 is much more true to the original.)

It may be easier to ditch the turret and make a jagdtiger conversion.

Anyway the idea is to apply zimmerit and paint it in three color camo as worn in Normandy campaign. Once I decided what, if any, changes to make to the kit.

This thread will be a build thread eventually. With pictures.

• 1 year later...

So, with the messerschmitt waiting for me to find a base for it, it is time to get back to this project. The so called porsche tigers first deployed in Normandy had a three colour camouflage that I decided to replicate. It is a little difficult to figure out how to do it. The green and browns dominated the basic yellow ochre. I experimented with blue-tak but decided to just do the stripes free hand. 

In hindsight it would be nice to alternate between an AB with each colour. Maybe I can try that on Wednesday. 

I started with an overall layer of yellow mixed with white (13-15%) to get a scale effect. No problems there. The brown otoh, did NOT want to play nicely. 

IMG_20190121_215829287_zpscyhiychg.jpg

In this situation something dependable is good to go to. 

Ie. Tamiya red brown. I'll go buy that on Wednesday. 

I'll also buy the appropriate green colour, just as a back up.