Hasegawa 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf109K-4 Hartmann Reviews

Qwikduster

Guys-

Any reviews or builds of this kit?

I'm considering buying it, and would like to know up front what needs upgraded (cockpit, markings, etc..) and what if any difficulties there may be with it.

Thanks in advance!

Qwik-

Also, Hasegawa has apparently announced a 1/32 109E-4 nightfighter (it's showing up as a pre-order on Sprue Bros. site). Is this a new tool or yet another reboxing of the rancid old E tooling?

Are you sure about the scale? I just saw a 1/48 Has. '109E nightfighter at my local shop.

The Has. '109K is pretty good and a rather easy build, but there are some issues with it. The cockpit is still mostly that of a 'G, so it you are so inclined, a 'K specific 'pit would be useful. The hatch in the upper rear cockpit area is not that of a 'K and I don't know if there is any correction available. The front/rear fuselage joint has a poor cross-section, the upper area should not be so squarish and can be easily worked down, but the kit canopy then won't fit right, but you can dodge that by simply having the canopy open. There are some little details to the underfuselage that need attention too. I think there is a tweak list that cover all the bits in detail.

And finally, the markings, and even the machine type, is rather speculative. The last photo of Hartmann and a machine of his was an ERLA-built 'G-10.

Are you sure about the scale? I just saw a 1/48 Has. '109E nightfighter at my local shop.

The Has. '109K is pretty good and a rather easy build, but there are some issues with it. The cockpit is still mostly that of a 'G, so it you are so inclined, a 'K specific 'pit would be useful. The hatch in the upper rear cockpit area is not that of a 'K and I don't know if there is any correction available. The front/rear fuselage joint has a poor cross-section, the upper area should not be so squarish and can be easily worked down, but the kit canopy then won't fit right, but you can dodge that by simply having the canopy open. There are some little details to the underfuselage that need attention too. I think there is a tweak list that cover all the bits in detail.

And finally, the markings, and even the machine type, is rather speculative. The last photo of Hartmann and a machine of his was an ERLA-built 'G-10.

Straight from the Sprue Bros. site:

PRE-ORDER - 1:32 Hasegawa Messerschmitt Bf109E "Night Fighter" Limited Edition Series #8178

has08178pre.jpg

Edit: The more I think about this, the more I'm of the opinion this is just a repop of the old E kit with new decals.

KOTR_

AWESOME build!!!!!!!!!!

That is one fine looking bird!!!!

I see what you did with it, but did you have any issues?? On the pit, do you think it needs an AM source (sorry I don't know what EE stands for) to really set it off?

Thanks for sharing!!

QWik-

Here's the link to Thierry's tweak list, and here's my humble effort on that babe. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your kind words ;)

EE stands for Eagle Editions (Link), their cockpit is really outstanding. The cockpit needs a little additional attention, as the kit includes the small gun breech cover and the early floor, the kit spinner is a little off in shape, so I chose to use a replacement spinner. But most people probably won't notice that :lol:

Other than my clumsy fingers, the kit didn't have any big problems. There are a few spots that need some additional attention, fitting the rear fuselage to the front, to avoid an ugly step e.g. In general, its a very nice kit I can easily recommend.

KOTR-

Thanks so much for the info!!!

I looked again at the weathering you did on the bottom of the plane, and I am in total AWE and admiration!!! That is truly superior work!!

I looked at the pit and the spinner from Eagle Editions and will most likely get them both.

A couple more questions if I might....Do you think the Eagle Editions instrument panel is good enough, as I couldn't tell from the web site if they have decals or PE for the instruments, or do you simply paint them in?

Should I get the Eduards inrerior set to get the IP stuff?

What did you do on yours?

Overall, what is your opinion on the EE Instrument panel?

Thanks again for your hwelp, and I going to order by the end of the week, after receiving your input!

Qwik-

Thanks for your kind words ;)

EE stands for Eagle Editions (Link), their cockpit is really outstanding. The cockpit needs a little additional attention, as the kit includes the small gun breech cover and the early floor, the kit spinner is a little off in shape, so I chose to use a replacement spinner. But most people probably won't notice that :lol:

Other than my clumsy fingers, the kit didn't have any big problems. There are a few spots that need some additional attention, fitting the rear fuselage to the front, to avoid an ugly step e.g. In general, its a very nice kit I can easily recommend.

I used the kit's instrument decals on the resin instrument panel and am very happy with the result. I don't think you'll be able to improve that very much using Eduard PEs, as they tend to be a little flat. You can see some better pics of the set (and of course the instrument panel) in the thread of Chris' excellent build of the 'K.

KOTR--

Now that's the ticket, Chris's is an AWESOME build up of the K-4!!

I'm ordering mine this week with the goodies from EE you outlined!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Qwik-

I used the kit's instrument decals on the resin instrument panel and am very happy with the result. I don't think you'll be able to improve that very much using Eduard PEs, as they tend to be a little flat. You can see some better pics of the set (and of course the instrument panel) in the thread of Chris' excellent build of the 'K.

KOTR-

One other thing I noticed in my search for info, most of the references I have found use Gunze brand of paints. Is there a reason other than convenience?

I typically use Testors/Model Masters, do you recommend at least for the camo work to go with Gunze, or stay with what I normally use?

Thanks!

Qwik-

KOTR--

Now that's the ticket, Chris's is an AWESOME build up of the K-4!!

I'm ordering mine this week with the goodies from EE you outlined!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Qwik-

Other than I just had them, because I bought a set of them for some reasons a long time ago (I even forgot I had them...), if you are using acrylics, they are the best I had used with my airbrush so far. Spray very smooth and in thin layers, with a steady hand, you can do very nice and crisp freehand sprayjobs, have IMO a relatively small tendency to clogging the nozzle of the airbrush and result in a really excellent finish. I don't know if you are using MM enamels or acrylics, I always had nice results with their enamel range of colours, but my local dealer took them out of stock and replaced them with their acrylic range. Yet, I haven't gotten the hang of them, but so far I think Gunze offers the better acrylics.

They're biggest drawback is their availability in my area, have to rely on mail order to get hold of them.

KOTR-

Again thankyou for your excellent advice!!

I actually have the choice of Testors acrylic or enamel. My existing collection of paint is all enamel.

But, as you pointed out I will be getting mine through the net/mail as well, and the supplier has a choice of either type, the acrylic has a better selection.

I will be doing the pit and details in enamel--do you see a problem shooting acrylic over the rest of the plane for the camo?

The wash will be the other paint that I use--meaning for enamel details I'll wash with acrylic, and for the acrylic camo wash, I'll use an enamel mixture--any issues wi that??

Qwik-

BTW-I ordered the EE stuff today!

hte

Other than I just had them, because I bought a set of them for some reasons a long time ago (I even forgot I had them...), if you are using acrylics, they are the best I had used with my airbrush so far. Spray very smooth and in thin layers, with a steady hand, you can do very nice and crisp freehand sprayjobs, have IMO a relatively small tendency to clogging the nozzle of the airbrush and result in a really excellent finish. I don't know if you are using MM enamels or acrylics, I always had nice results with their enamel range of colours, but my local dealer took them out of stock and replaced them with their acrylic range. Yet, I haven't gotten the hang of them, but so far I think Gunze offers the better acrylics.

They're biggest drawback is their availability in my area, have to rely on mail order to get hold of them.

Painting acrylics over enamel is no problem, just make sure the enamel is really dry. I don't have any experiences with enamel and acrylic washes. For the weathering, I swear on artist's oil colours. First I apply a clear coat, my local substitute for Future floor polish, the wash is done two weeks later with a mixture of black and siena, thinned with white spirit.

The right ratio requires a little experimenting, the mixture should flow by itself from the brush, yet it should not start to creep over the model's surface. I prefer to keep it a bit more on the thick side, that lessens the chance I rub off the paint. Its allowed to dry for a few minutes, and then I rub it of with some - no laughter please - Kleenex, the type your wife uses to remove her makeup ;) Yeah, right, cosmetic tissue, because they are softer than kitchen roll or toilet paper, if your timing is right, you don't need any additional thinner to remove the paint and lessens the chance you rub the colour of some corners and raised details :ph34r:

The mixture is spread over all panel lines, raised and sunk details, but also over the areas that are to receive some real nasty dirt, like on the belly of my example, and if one run is not enough, it can be gradually build up. I start at the nose, work in managable small sections and rub of in what I think is where the airflow goes. In a few places (namely the link ejector chutes) I also used some graphit rubbed off a lead pencil. Then a clear coat again to fix everything, followed by a careful drybrush with white artist's oil colour, after that its time for a little paint chipping, a final flat or semigloss coat, and voilà! :P

And now to the hardest part...

...waiting for the ordered stuff to arrive! :rolleyes: Always leaves me on pins and needles for a few days, until finally the postman rings :)