Roden's Albatros D.III: Weathering, U/C, and some Rigging

Gazzas

Gaz,

I use cigarette papers cut into thin strips for covering manifolds on German inline engines.

To finish off I stipple said manifolds with Mr Surfacer 1200.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Von B :frantic:

Ooh, now you have me contemplating removing my tape and replace it with cigarette papers.  I have some around somewhere that I use for flags on 1/350 warships.  Fortunately I have been free of nicotine prison for 5 years now.

Gaz

Hi Friends,

Spent a fair amount of time painting this Mercedes D. III engine.  I tried to be deft with the brush and true to the colors I've seen over the hundreds of engines that I've seen in the last couple weeks.  I didn't get it perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it thus far.

After priming I discovered more bubble holes requiring love and affection.  The exhaust pipe even had something that looked like a gentle fold in it.  No matter.  Putty, abrasives, and a proper filter apparatus had me ready for paint.

After the primer, I sprayed the entire apparatus with Alclad polished aluminum.  The rest was done with a dying gold pen (dying so much that I actually had to put the tip of the paintbrush to the felt of the paint pen) and artist acrylics.

All that remains is a wash with oils, then some heavy work with pastels on the exhaust pipe.

Without further ado, the scary results of half a days work:

b_162305.jpg

b_162234.jpg

b_162253.jpg

I read somewhere that the exhaust pipes used on these machines were made from a copper alloy.  Having never been that close to one, I can't refute or affirm.  Lacking copper paint, I decided to make it a little brassy with gold pen over silver then complete the 'burnt look' with pastels.  Can't make any promises...

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Gaz

Nice work on the TD's Mercedes engine. Colors look true and add the extra life.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter.  I wish I was able to reproduce the plated look on the cylinders.

Gaz

At least you didn't have to do the asbestos covering on the manifold yourself!

<snip>

Karim

The glass fibre stuff is bad enough, I get red, itchy arms from boat exhausts if I forget to wrap them in rags when working on engines

Richard