1:32 F-90 Superstar

Dandiego

Ok I'm back.

I have spent the last week working on getting all of the ribs shapped correctly. My original work was quick and dirty and they needed a lot of work. I started working on the port fuselage side. Each rib was checked for shape and to make sure it "flowed" correctly into the next. Once I was happy I then transferred each ribs dimensions to the opposite side.

I go rather fast when doing my rough build and that necessitates a lot of careful cleanup before proceding. Or I could stress over getiing it 100% accurate the first time. My method works well for me and, for me, I believe is faster.

First up is the back end. I have cobbled together parts from the spares bin to approximate the jet exhaust. There is an exhaust tube from a Monogram F-4, a sheet plastic extension and a 1-32 tire at the end to simulate the engine exhaust. Trust me it is far enough back that no one will notice.

DSCN3216_zpsbbjzmbo5.jpg

Next will be strengthing the entire rib structure with lengthwise stringers.

DSCN3219_zpsxc6cp5g9.jpg

DSCN3218_zpsvzfauo6r.jpg

Next I have begun skinning the beast. I am using 60 thou sheet plastic to get a solid non-flexing skin that can endure vigorous sanding to get to the final shape.

DSCN3214_zps1n6rhqfl.jpg

Yes some serious clamping is needed.

DSCN3215_zps4kr7h9u8.jpg

A difficult area needs some thought and attention and that is the forward fuselage where the cockpit needs to be sorted out before I can proceed in this area. Here is a spare cockpit from an F-80 and the corresponding resin seat.

DSCN3220_zpssenvglbs.jpg

DSCN3221_zpsrpvjixge.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Dan,

in my builds I don't put much effort into internal parts of the model that will never be seen. It may look crude, but who cares? All that counts is the finished model.

Anyway, it's a great project and I'm looking forward to see more progress.

I wonder how you will tackle the air intakes. Have you any ideas yet?

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer, I do have some thoughts on the intakes. As the shape is a basic rounded triangle shape I believe that I can bend some thin sheet and let it fill a precut former. I know that probably isn't very helpful but I haven't actually pulled it off yet.

Stay tuned.

Love your work. It is incredible.

Dan

Guest Peterpools

Dan

Amazing project and following with enthusiastic interest.

I often wondered when doing a scratch build project, do you take into account the thickness of the 'skin' when making the ribs? I know it sounds silly but I very curious.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Dan

Amazing project and following with enthusiastic interest.

I often wondered when doing a scratch build project, do you take into account the thickness of the 'skin' when making the ribs? I know it sounds silly but I very curious.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Yes Peter, all of the ribs where slightly smaller than the drawings to accommodate the skin.

Dan

Ok I have 4 days off this weekend so I should get a fair amount of bench time. 

First off is to continue with the skinning of aft fuselage. I am using 6mm wide strips that I cut off of a larger sheet.  I also am staggering the joints for a stronger assembly. Tube glue is being used throughout consrtuction. First picture is of the port aft area, strips have been glued on. First the rough edges are scraped level with the edge of a knife, rough sanded and then the recess between strips have CA applied to the entire length. Finally the seams are filled with Bondo.

DSCN3222_zpsbky7itid.jpg

Next skinning the other side.

DSCN3223_zpsns8anbzh.jpg

DSCN3224_zpshbtvnbzk.jpg

Skinning the spine. Sheet plastic was curved to fit by bending with pliers. Any marks left over from the bending process should sand out later.

DSCN3225_zps2jpyquev.jpg

DSCN3226_zpsb5mfklcf.jpg

Bondo time!

DSCN3227_zpssbnuhp8l.jpg

DSCN3228_zpsp0vwmglw.jpg

Add laminations to thicken the tail.

DSCN3230_zpsnipfpjda.jpg

DSCN3231_zpstdw7y5t1.jpg

Cut a tube in half, this is harder than it may seem to get it just right. Apply to fuselage to form the spine.

DSCN3229_zpsyibtymja.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Dan, your 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!' approach to building reminds me of our late, great Larry Hawkins. I think he would have really, really enjoyed this build, it would have been right up his alley. Keep up the great work, we're all taking notes!!!   :punk:  :punk:  :punk:

Dan, your 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!' approach to building reminds me of our late, great Larry Hawkins. I think he would have really, really enjoyed this build, it would have been right up his alley. Keep up the great work, we're all taki

ng notes!!!   :punk:  :punk:  :punk:

Thanks Lee. I love this kind of modeling, really gets the juices flowing.

I have quite a few 50's jets that I would like to build that will never be kitted. If I can pull this off and have a reasonable result I will move onwards and upwards.

Dan

Thanks Lee. I love this kind of modeling, really gets the juices flowing.

I have quite a few 50's jets that I would like to build that will never be kitted. If I can pull this off and have a reasonable result I will move onwards and upwards.

Dan

That's the spirit, Dan.

Great work so far. Scratch building is very rewarding as you create something from just some raw materials. And your speed is mind blowing... If I were only half as quick my Viggen would almost be finished by now.

Cheers

Rainer