1/48 Tamiya DO-335A w Kettenkraftrad

CANicoll

Great progress!  Im fairly certain I have a Tamiya 48th Do0335 in the stash (minus the Kettenkrad ) that I need to sell since I've acquired a new HKM Do-335 in 32nd and about everything they offer AM wise for it.

This is looking wonderful all buttoned up. I hope the HKM kits fits as nice!

36353075043_90ce0e8f78_c.jpg

Arent you a little short fat for a Storm SS trooper?!??      :lol:    :lol:  :lol:

Tony, thanks for posting those pictures!  I have not even opened the bag for the Kettenkraftrad yet but I'm excited about doing that camo free hand with my H&S Infinity to see if I can actually do it in 1/48 scale.  :mental: If it doesn't pan out, you'll see a gray Kettenkraftrad instead... That will be our little secret. 

I have the Nikon 200-500 and could use that Kettenkraftrad to haul that and the mandatory tripod/monopod around...

Brian, thanks!  I also have the HK 335 so this was kind of a warm-up to that kit.  JUST got the Maketar masks yesterday for it.  Not sure how much AM I'll do on that - but I think the cockpit would just be freaking amazing with an update.  What AM did you pick up for the kit?

So I blew not just one, but two opportunities to put the pilot into the 335.  (Not that the molding on the kit's (2) pilots is that crisp - It is pretty soft - pictures later)

1. The control stick gets in the way to slide in the pilot if you have the cockpit in the plane - just not enough space.  The gap between the pilot's legs is VERY narrow.

2.  If you put the pilot in, you can't get the control stick in.

Best option is to leave BOTH out and put the control between the pilots legs, and put both in at the same time (or do it all ahead of time, duh...)

However, I knocked off the yoke when I was painting so had the oppty to add the pilot then.  But NOOOO, I had to go and 'fix' it so the long and the short of it is - no pilot this time, canopy will be posed open...

Might see if I can pose the pilot in the back of the Kettenkraftrad.  There we go!

More of an update later.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Brian, thanks!  I also have the HK 335 so this was kind of a warm-up to that kit.  JUST got the Maketar masks yesterday for it.  Not sure how much AM I'll do on that - but I think the cockpit would just be freaking amazing with an update.  What AM did you pick up for the kit?

From what I can remember purchasing

- Brassin wheels

- Brassin (or other?) exhuast

- G-Factor gear

- Yaho IP

- Eduard interior

- Eduar exterior (minus colored IP)

Im planning on a what-if JG-27 Afrika Korps Do-335 

Slowly making progress - finished up the F-22 finally, but still waiting on the canopy and masks for the P-39 so continuing to work on the Do 335.  Getting ready for paint, although have the underside in the Luftwaffe light blue already.  There are some leading edge seams to address before I get too much further along but the landing gear was an exercise onto itself - I am amazed at the mold seams on the parts.  LOTS of scraping.

Bare Metal foil for the oleos.  Looks smoother than here in the pictures.

GZqHpe.jpg

3ifKSS.jpg

One problem with production of this aircraft is just how bloody complex everything was - just take a look at the landing gear for instance, but then also that they could not manufacture curved canopies, and had to go with the 'Birdcage' look.

FFBT9t.jpg

This give you an idea of the shading being worked on with the primer coat.  We'll see how well it comes through on the color coats.

Kbumux.jpg

Put down a coat of RLM 2 gray (cockpit color) before the fuselage colors come in.  Canopy will be posed open, which means it opens left to right hence the tabs you'll see on side of the canopy in the next picture:

UsfALU.jpg

xUJdjs.jpg

Ok Super Bowl Halftime show is about over.

Going to be busy the next few days so hoping the masks come in so I can get back to Spare Parts!!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks!

It was more of a late war statement, Gaz, the FW, 219 and other had the curves but when you look at a lot of their planes, there is a lot of small panes - HE 111, ME 109, etc.  Somewhere I'm sure there is something about the state of glass making in Germany during the war...

Beats me!  :hmmm:

Chris

Brian,

It is a strange shape, isn't it?  I can see why they called it the 'Arrow' - but it is also a MASSIVE machine, being tall enough a man can walk underneath it.  I will have to sit at Udvar Hazy for a bit and just look at #102 in the collection there...

Chris

have the Nikon 200-500 and could use that Kettenkraftrad to haul that and the mandatory tripod/monopod around...

Nikon 200-500        17.41" length     95mm  (3.74 inch ) dia     85.1  oz   weight

Canon EF500mm    21.61" length     6" dia                              150.4 oz   weight

Plus the tele converter I normally use with it,  spend a day carrying that and you know :doh: