1/48 Tamiya DO-335A w Kettenkraftrad

CANicoll

This looks great!  

Have you gotten out to Udvar-Hazy yet?  I used to live in DC for many years and was in that lovely facility the day its was opened and many times thereafter.  

My first impression of this aircraft upon seeing it was "My gosh, it's HUGE!" and "My gosh, it's so ugly!" but I know that is kind of part of its charm and many modelers love this aircraft!

Keep up the good work.

This looks great!  

Have you gotten out to Udvar-Hazy yet?  I used to live in DC for many years and was in that lovely facility the day its was opened and many times thereafter.  

My first impression of this aircraft upon seeing it was "My gosh, it's HUGE!" and "My gosh, it's so ugly!" but I know that is kind of part of its charm and many modelers love this aircraft!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks!  Our club does the Air and Scare event at Halloween every year with a display, and usually the 'Family Fly In' as well AND the WWI Historical Society has monthly meetings there so it is a favorite destination.

I'm shocked at how big the aircraft really is.  Right now building the 1/32 P-39Q and the 1/48 Do-335 and they are almost the same size.   It is a beast.  And I have to agree, its so ugly it is kind of attractive.  Looking forward to the HK 1/32 Do 335 in my stash actually.

Chris

Ok, heading to the finish line!  Got the props together, the top antenna on and and a gloss coat on.  The props are slip on so I removed them for the clear coat.  The props and the spinners are all black green which is interesting.

I did pick up a nasty seam on the elevators which I had not seen before so have to deal with that.

Just proving papa Tamiya really is mortal, the front gear doors had not just one sink mark, not two, but SEVEN!  Now this kit is from 2000 so technology has clearly come a LONG way in the past 17 years:

x7F2Ip.jpg

The nose detail is kind of soft, with the two machine guns in the nose being barely represented.  Definitely in 1/32 they would come out much nicer.

mEbv0D.jpg

Took a bit of liberty by painting the cowling the same black green as the prop and spinner.  I like it actually.  The different textures of the paint is also noticeable in this picture.  Still learning the Vallejo acrylics!

uDhqrj.jpg

So here is what she looks like now, waiting for the gloss coat to dry, then will highlight the flaps with a wash and maybe a few of the access panels as well. 

E9roH2.jpg

Exhausts pipes are painted and ready to be added, with some minor exhaust stains to be added, but nothing really dirty for this aircraft.

Oh yeah, and opening the canopy too!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Chris,

That looks sweet.  IIRC, the nose guns you see are MG 151 20mm cannon which have a rather smooth look compared to the jacketed MG131 seen on the FW190 and Bf109.  I believe there was a 30mm cannon firing through the propeller hub.  Quite a bit of firepower in a tiny area.

Gaz

AHH!  Ok thanks for that Gaz, that explains it.  Yeah, three cannon in the nose?  Wow that is some major fire power.  Drilled out the 30 mm in the hub so at least that looks better.

Need to add a little bit of exhaust staining tomorrow and will get some pictures up.

Thanks!
Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Just finished catching up and Aces on a terrific build. Paint and decaling look simply 'perfect'!

Thoroughly enjoyed your progress and careful work. Yup, sure is nice to know Papa Tamiya is human after ll.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Just about getting to the end!  SO the 'Arrow' is about complete.  Decided after seeing period pictures of 102, as well as what is at Udvar Hazy, to just keep her clean.  Looking at as many period pictures as are available online, there does not seem to be a cable to keep the open canopy from going too far.  Many models have the cable/wire, but that does not seem to appear in any pictures I was able to find.

Looking at some of the pictures I see that I need to paint the front windscreen frame!  Will get on that tomorrow.  Amazing what you see in pictures, isn't it?

This was purely a build for fun.  I was given a HK Do 335 in 1/32 and picked this up just to get a feel for the aircraft.  The kit, as mentioned before, is a bit long in the tooth engineering-wise.  Mold seams are pretty extensive and take a fair bit of cleaning up.  Some bits fit PERFECTLY and actually there are a few pieces currently on the plane (such as the rear exhausts) that are just pressed into place and I can't get them out to glue them in.  Other pieces took some sanding to get a fit on.  But anyone with even a little bit of experience can get a beautiful plane out of this kit.

Used a black wash around the flaps, elevators and rudder and a couple of access panels but nothing else.

TM1QcE.jpg

0xQEWd.jpg

V7EKlo.jpg

Decal seat belts positively fell apart once applied, but this is an OOO build so kept with it.  IP decal showed up very well however.

RS3HVm.jpg

madcFD.jpg

QmG6AF.jpg

b2kd5o.jpg

ihgMPV.jpg

Started on the Kettenkraftrad as well.  I did not have any paint that was even close to the German Tan/Sand used so I opted for another Kettenkraftrad color which is a German grey.  The Vallejo laid down beautifully at about 14psi.

The instrument panel decals are from the Airscale Luftwaffe 1/48 scale set - I just picked two that were the right size and that LOOKED like they belonged on the panel.  Honestly - they are so small it is impossible to see what they actually are but I really like how they look there.  Drop of clear for the glass cover.  Flory black wash on the intake grills.

mXKzwd.jpg

Hand painted the leather seat with Tamiya Acrylics using a wide brush, and then going over again when the paint was tacky to create some texture of kind of beat-up leather.

FHJJuX.jpg

Working on the tracks now - which have a huge mold seam in the middle of the track, for the entire length/circumference. Real pain to remove, which seems to require scraping with a blade rather than sanding - so very slow going...

Chris 

Edited by CANicoll

Finished off the Kettenkraftrad this evening - and just had to see how it looked together with the Do 335.  It it is a mini-kit onto itself which is kind of fun.  Definitely I want to work on the driver figure so the handlebars are just tacked in place for the time being until the figure is completed and ready to sit.

Added a bit of detail to the Kettenkraftrad in the way of license plate details, pulled from a Tamiya decal sheet for the 1/35 German tank ammo-loading crew set.  Eagle eyes will notice the plate 'numbers' are actually the tank designation, shortened a bit.

7LtfG9.jpg

wgLOYp.jpg

The tow bars fits easily and perfectly onto the 335.

OZkNlB.jpg

5cLBXr.jpg

Will clean up a few seams (such as on the tow bar) but I think that is pretty much a wrap on this build!

Thanks for following along - it was a fun build.

Chris

I've photographed a couple Kettenkrads in action and on display. I know the paint schemes are different, but they might offer some weathering reference for you.

Paul Allen's Kettenkrad at the Flying Heritage Museum (it gets run several times  year and I would guess the restoration is as good as possible)

German-tracked-cycle-FHC-2013-3382.jpg

-

kettenkrad-FHC-2013-8967.jpg

---------------

I saw this one (and others) at the Gathering of Fortresses (Detroit 2010). Not sure of accuracy or how many shows this group does annually.

Kettenkrad-Detroit-2010-4184.jpg

-

Kettenkrad-Detroit-2010-4190.jpg

I think I have more, but they would be in my archives somewhere and I don't think they would be much different. Actually, I'm surprised I didn't do a complete walkaround of the FHC example... I'll have to do a quick look for some detail shots.

Anyway, I hope these will help, or at least inspire.