Mk.84 bombs on Navy Phantoms

Luca

Luca, here are some pics of 14" and 30" bomb racks. Note 30" racks also have 14" suspension, so they can Mk-83/82/81, TERs, Rocket Pods...and anything else that requires 14" suspension.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=EBTHK%2fsX&id=83D132E62F19692B6CD8D06E04189FE3FBE865A2&q=f-4+phantom+bomb+ejector+racks&simid=608013911338780788&selectedIndex=31&ajaxhist=0

This link shows the F-4 inner pylon with rack. The inner hooks are for 14" suspension and the two outer are 30". For some reason I cant post the pic here.

I've found only this drawing... I guess 30" bomb rack? But it's a USAF pylon...

jhpwz7.jpg

where can I find a similar drawing of the 14" bomb rack?

Edited by Luca

Luca,

Yes that is the adapter. I believe it comes in the Tamiya USMC F-4J kit and was my starting point.

The link will take you to my IAF Pylon (first two pics) shown in "thefenders" post. it was designed specifically by the IAF to carry Popeye and Tadmit weapons. It retained the standard USAF MAU/12 Ejector Gun (shown in color) but moved forward in the lengthened pylon. The MAU/12 has both 14" and 30" spaced hooks. The last 3 pics show the Standard USAF MAU/12 I made for my A-7D build and is the same as used on the USAF Phantoms.

Cheers,

Barry

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32698&hl=

As for the adapter on the Navy pylons, i don't think you could put a free fall store on it because it doesn't have the capability to drop anything except manually on the ground.  Meaning there is no place for cartridges to forcibly eject the bomb. Most cases you see TERs mounted on the i/b pylon, i could be wrong but i don't recall seeing any bombs mounted directly to the Navy style i/b pylon.

Jari

Here is an early listing of weapons carried by the F-4:

and here is the F-4A, F-4B and RF-4B structural repair manual that shows a little bit about the pylons (starting on pg 7-1):

Jari

As for the adapter on the Navy pylons, i don't think you could put a free fall store on it because it doesn't have the capability to drop anything except manually on the ground.  Meaning there is no place for cartridges to forcibly eject the bomb. Most cases you see TERs mounted on the i/b pylon, i could be wrong but i don't recall seeing any bombs mounted directly to the Navy style i/b pylon.

Jari

100% correct Jari.

No as has already been advised. A TER could be fitted to the inboard but no single & definitely no multiple MK84 as they were too long with the conical fins. USAF could carry a single 2,000 lb Paveway on the inboards, however. There's a pic somewhere (I think) of two VF-21 F-4Bs over SEA with two each loaded on the outboard pylons with either a TER or MER on those stations. They could alaso be -83s though. I'll have to find the pic. 

Barry, is this the adapter you scratchbuilt on your F-4J? could be a Mk.83/84 bomb directly hooked to it? 

90ro8j.jpg