TSR.2 plans

Lee White

Hi everybody, thanks for your input. I think the model would be pretty straightforward, but the landing gear... there's the challenge.  I think the undercarriage designers of the 1960s must have had some sort of informal contest, to see who could come up with the wonkiest gear- B-58 nose gear, F-111 main gear, TSR.2 mains, etc...  :mental:  :mental:  :mental:

Some of the Warpaint drawings are OK, but it does take a lot of checking. I used the TSR2 drawings to scratchbuilt one in 1:72 scale, my model appeared in Airfix Magazine, and I cringe every time I see it! Just look at the line of the fuselage under the cockpits up to the radome. The more you look the worse it gets..... The Barry Hygate ones publushed in Scale Models International, and Hygates excellent book on British experimental types are much better. There are several even more recent ones but I haven't checked them out, but they look nicely drawn. There was a set in Scale Aircraft Modelling which looked very good, for example.

It was one of those travesties in uk aviation, she was a world beater and was cancelled as production was about to start and all the jigs and tooling destroyed, on the pretext of buying the inferior F111 which was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Maggie Thatcher even had a team look at if it could be resurrected when labour was kicked out of power. It along with the Canadian Arrow were far ahead of their time.

Edited by TonyT

found it! new i had this page laying around somewhere, so if you can use it, it's yours, PM me your address once more please.

Jack

IMG_3593_zpsrrsocmec.jpg

Just going by eye, that set of drawings are so bad not even Trumpeter would touch them.  Check the profile of the nose and the crossection of the rear fuselage - the real one is not slabsided like that.  And that is for starters.

Barry Hygate's drawings look good, but when you start checking, you will find that the views don't quite match up.  Your best bet would probably be to find a Dynavector model kit in 1:48 to take your measurements off and then scale it up.  It is even better than the Airfix 1:48 kit that is rather poor in shapes and proportions.

Jens

Edited by jenshb