Hasegawa "New Tool" A6M5 Type 52 Super Ace

jelliott

I'm currently starting a build of the new tool A6M5 Type 52 Zero from Hasegawa. I replied to a comment in another thread and was encouraged to start a WIP thread for this kit. This is my first topic I've posted here.

The molding of this kit is very nice. The instrument panel and sidewall detail is very nice. There are decals that can be used for the instrument panel if you desire; however, on my build I am going to be painting the dials and details instead of using the decals.

This build will be 98% OOB, the only thing I will be adding is some light details in the cockpit area, ie. stretched sprue for some lines along the floor and lead foil for seatbelts.

20170211_123434_zps0lcaqlww.jpg

20170211_124318_zpssx8bts7b.jpg

20170218_104750_zpspmctn62x.jpg

20170218_104759_zpsc0pxqahd.jpg

20170218_104829_zpsiuyotp0e.jpg

20170218_104924_zps4fue9nwq.jpg

And finally the pilot figure. I know its kind of hard to see the detail in this picture, but I was thoroughly impressed at how good it looks. I did have to do some filing and sanding where the torso and legs fit together as well as were the head joins the torso. The kit comes with three different heads as an option. Since I began construction, I have decided to not have the figure inside the aircraft as it would hide a lot of the detail. I am planning on still painting it up, but as a practice piece, as I've not had too much luck with figures.

20170218_105009_zpsnjiqowkg.jpg

I'm currently starting a build of the new tool A6M5 Type 52 Zero from Hasegawa. I replied to a comment in another thread and was encouraged to start a WIP thread for this kit. This is my first topic I've posted here.

The molding of this kit is very nice. The instrument panel and sidewall detail is very nice. There are decals that can be used for the instrument panel if you desire; however, on my build I am going to be painting the dials and details instead of using the decals.

This build will be 98% OOB, the only thing I will be adding is some light details in the cockpit area, ie. stretched sprue for some lines along the floor and lead foil for seatbelts.

20170211_124318_zpssx8bts7b.jpg

20170218_104750_zpspmctn62x.jpg

20170218_104759_zpsc0pxqahd.jpg

20170218_104829_zpsiuyotp0e.jpg

20170218_104924_zps4fue9nwq.jpg

And finally the pilot figure. I know its kind of hard to see the detail in this picture, but I was thoroughly impressed at how good it looks. I did have to do some filing and sanding where the torso and legs fit together as well as were the head joins the torso. The kit comes with three different heads as an option. Since I began construction, I have decided to not have the figure inside the aircraft as it would hide a lot of the detail. I am planning on still painting it up, but as a practice piece, as I've not had too much luck with figures.

20170218_105009_zpsnjiqowkg.jpg

A Japanese pilot that actually looks Japanese, nice. Most of the Japanese kit figures Ive seen recently, don't really look right.

It's got to be said. The Zero is a beautiful design, and the artwork on that box top is stunning. Got to admire the surface detail on the underside!

Looking forward to this build because it is tempting me to buy one soon!

Best regards;

Steve

Thanks guys, I'll have to get some other pics taken soon. I've progressed a bit farther than what these pics show. I've got the pit all painted up and slightly weathered and have started working on the fuselage. So far the fit has been pretty good, a little seam clean-up has been needed around the nose area. I'll try to get some pics taken and posted.

jelliott,

Glad to see that you've taken the next step and are doing a WIP thread. It's a great way for you to become more familiar with the membership, and they with you. There really isn't any negative side to a WIP, just two positive sides,  I'll be pulling up a chair and following your build to its conclusion. :popcorn:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

MPK, I have not built the Tamiya kit so I cannot give you a comparison of the two. I can tell you, so far the fit is great. Dry-fitting of the bottom wing to the fuselage has shown that there will be minimal seams to clean up. Even holding them together, the front part of the wing that mates up to the fuselage disappears and is perfect! As I have started to get onto other pieces and parts, specifically the gear doors, there are a couple of odd-placed ejector pin marks that need to be filled. There are a total of 6 on the main gear doors and three on the smaller inner door. The main doors are easily handled, the smaller doors;however, are tricky. They are in areas that are difficult to get to, I will be using Perfect Plastic Putty to fill these and smooth out with a damp q-tip.

Edited by jelliott