Kitty Hawk OV-10 AM products

Out2gtcha

Im starting this thread for obvious reasons.....................Im beginning to wrap up my build review of the new Kitty Hawk OV-10D, and am REALLY looking forward to the OV-10A.

Im hoping we can keep tabs on anything new AM wise for this kit as they come available.

AFAICT, there is nothing at this exact moment out there, but I guerentee AM is coming. This kit is too nice to not be pushed over the edge with the addition of some common AM.

First up, it seems we are getting a new OV-10A decal sheet from Caracal prior to the release of the KH OV-10A. The schemes on the new 1/32nd sheet will be picked off of their new 1/48th sheet but likely not all of them. There is no ETA on a release for these, nor any indication which shcmes from this sheet will be produced in 32nd. The sheet is from Caracal, but is printed by Cartograf in Italy, so I know they are going to be high quality:

cd48068draft.jpg

cd48068profiles.jpg

Brian,

Given your excellent review build on the "D", (and pointing out the subsequent issues with decals), one can only hope that aftermarket decals and parts for both kits will be forthcoming.  Really digging the bicentennial VMO-2 bird, hopefully it's one of the contenders when the "A" sheet comes out!  

Thanks for keeping us posted!  :popcorn:

First impressions of kit are WONDERFUL with the exception of a few things. Fit and finish is NOT one of them for the kit fits really, really well. Accuracy in the pit is another question, for the D, and as the A hasnt been released yet, that is still up in the air, but from looking at the OOB D pits, likely its not going to be 100% accurate.

For those of us who preffer not to scratch build an entire two hole pit, and are like using AM, we definitly need AMS, or Aires or FM&P or similar to step up with a full pit for the D, and likely the A as well.

AMS/Aires/Brassin/FM&P should also be called on for some 1 piece resin wheels as well. The OOB MLG wheels have longitudinal tread, therefor it is not that difficult to hide the seam as on some OOB wheels, but not having to worry about it, nor assemble anything would be most welcome. The nose gear tire has a MOST pesky seam down the center flanked by raised ridges that make it REALLY difficult to get rid of.

Another area of concern are the decals. The OOB Kitty hawk decals SEE HERE are nice and thin, but they stick at the MOST inappropriate times, and the carrier is missing in places that may help keep some of the decals from folding in on themselves, which the OOB KH decals did to me at every turn.  The above caracal decal set seems to address this for the A, but no D decal sheet in site yet.

Another area that definitely needs AM addressing IMHO, is the gear. The OOB KH gear have a LOT of IP marks, a couple sink marks, and a LOT of seams on them, and with their complexity, they are really difficult to get rid of. Another issue is that in IM plastic there is one specific place in the gear breakdown, that is a weak spot in the gear, and could use some beefing up.

I (just now) have send an E-mail to Ernie Gee, at G-Factor models (Ernie and I met and spoke about my SU-30 gear at the 2011 NATs so Im hoping he remembers me) to see if they would be willing to tackle this new bird with a set of their wonderful white brass gear.

If anyone else has any known leads for any AM for this thing, please post it here!!!!

First impressions of kit are WONDERFUL with the exception of a few things. Fit and finish is NOT one of them for the kit fits really, really well. Accuracy in the pit is another question, for the D, and as the A hasnt been released yet, that is still up in the air, but from looking at the OOB D pits, likely its not going to be 100% accurate.

For those of us who preffer not to scratch build an entire two hole pit, and are like using AM, we definitly need AMS, or Aires or FM&P or similar to step up with a full pit for the D, and likely the A as well.

AMS/Aires/Brassin/FM&P should also be called on for some 1 piece resin wheels as well. The OOB MLG wheels have longitudinal tread, therefor it is not that difficult to hide the seam as on some OOB wheels, but not having to worry about it, nor assemble anything would be most welcome. The nose gear tire has a MOST pesky seam down the center flanked by raised ridges that make it REALLY difficult to get rid of.

Another area of concern are the decals. The OOB Kitty hawk decals SEE HERE are nice and thin, but they stick at the MOST inappropriate times, and the carrier is missing in places that may help keep some of the decals from folding in on themselves, which the OOB KH decals did to me at every turn.  The above caracal decal set seems to address this for the A, but no D decal sheet in site yet.

Another area that definitely needs AM addressing IMHO, is the gear. The OOB KH gear have a LOT of IP marks, a couple sink marks, and a LOT of seams on them, and with their complexity, they are really difficult to get rid of. Another issue is that in IM plastic there is one specific place in the gear breakdown, that is a weak spot in the gear, and could use some beefing up.

I (just now) have send an E-mail to Ernie Gee, at G-Factor models (Ernie and I met and spoke about my SU-30 gear at the 2011 NATs so Im hoping he remembers me) to see if they would be willing to tackle this new bird with a set of their wonderful white brass gear.

If anyone else has any known leads for any AM for this thing, please post it here!!!!

Anyone want to loan the wheels to me, I could probably whip those out fairly quickly.  Just a side note, on the nose wheels, from the factory, that type of tire would have a mold seam with a protruding flashing that squeezed out during the vulcanizing. The main tires would have the same thing, but is worn off after the first landing. Take a look at your new tires next time you replace them on your car.

Edited by Harold

Harold,

I'd be happy to lend you a set of OV-10 wheels; do you prefer them assembled, or could I send the halves to you?  Let me know, I'm in WA state.

Semper,

Ski

Don't glue them, I can do the clean up myself.

If you can spare one prop blade and one spinner, I can use them for mocking up the four bladed variant as well.

Hello gentlemen,

I have the “D†and plan on building a DS/DS aircraft from VMO-2. The desert camo is interesting as well as the 2 - tone gray and with everything opened up it should build into a nice model. I have noticed that The OV 10D's did not install their 60's according to several pictures of the aircraft. Acree's aircraft on the mission prior to his shoot down on the second day of the air war did not carry the machine guns. I wonder why?

The aftermarket items I would be interested in would be a cockpit tub, landing gear and wheels, a centerline fuel tank and new decals. Figures from DS/DS would be nice too. The 4 shot pod by Fisher is great.

As a young Warrant Obstacle I received a stainless steel MIA bracelet from my Grandma. I have worn this daily since 1978. The lettering has long since worn off., But I know it says “Capt. Eugene L. Wheeler USMC April 21, 1970 RVN. Capt . ( Ski, I think I have shown this to you at some of the TVMC meetings) Wheeler was from my Mom's hometown in Ohio. His VMO-2 OV-10A took ground fire and he and his observer ejected. Both had good chutes. The observer was rescued and Capt. Wheeler was seen on the ground and attempting to E&E when he was captured. He is still MIA.

I would like to build his aircraft when I get the “Aâ€.

Out here S.F.

Edited by gunner

Hey Mike!

If you ever end up building a DS "A", don't forget it'll need the boom mounted chaff buckets.

My guess about the M-60s is that, acting in the FAC role (not a CAS role), they probably felt the guns weren't necessary. Just a SWAG, but that would be my guess.

Miss the old club, but I still find a way to keep up with most of you guys!

Semper,

Ski

Edited by Usmcski

Mike, I've got quite a few OV-10 pics saved (from VN to post DS), I'll take a look and see what I can find out. Incidentally, I've got over a GB of USMC aircraft pics saved to a thumb drive that I'm mailing to Jay tomorrow. All my Bronco pics are on there (to include NATOPS manuals), you should take a look!

Semper

Ski

Yep, Ive even seen more recent 90s VMO-4 birds with the 60s in and plenty with them removed as well. I think most -4 birds had them removed, but since Im trying to go the full OOB route, AND I think it looks too bare without them, I'm definitely planning on re-adding my .60 cals.

I also have both the FM&P LAU-10 pods as well as Paul's 300 Aero tank. Both are really well done, but in typical FM$P fashion, they both do have a mold seem down the bottom side that really has less/no detail to it. These are actually very slight and nothing that a few swipes from a sanding stick wont take care of........