Another 1/72 Eduard Mig 15bis **Finished. Outdoor Pics Added!**

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, Tim!

I was finally able to log into photobucket this morning, so here are some more pics of the base in progress.

After sanding the surface smooth, I tried to pre-shade with some Gunship Gray.

20161025_132535_zps55mm3xvn.jpg

The intention, at this point, was to follow up with some lighter grays to build the effect. However, I found at least two different colors in my paint stash that had gone bad (the ones I thought I needed, of course!). So, I went with the next best thing, or so I thought, which was RAF Sky Type S. However, this gave it a very green tint. It looks like concrete, but also like it had just been poured and not cured yet. So, that wasn't going to do!

20161025_135547_zpsl1eqj7if.jpg

Finally, I remembered that I did have some lighter grays in another paint drawer (my Luftwaffe drawer). I ended up going with RLM 63, which was the lightest I could find. It's still not quite as light as I had hoped for, but I think it's getting closer. I may follow up with another session and/or do some dry-brushing before all is said and done. Unfortunately, the build-up has pretty much obscured the original pre-shading attempt. So, I may have to go back and post shade a touch, but we'll see how it progresses.

20161025_224013_zps97kfwdk8.jpg

I'm hoping to get this all sorted out and have the base finished by the end of the day.

John

Fed up with photobucket. :fight:   Giving Flickr a try. Hope this works.

I did some dry brushing with sand, followed by more RLM 63. Then, I mixed up some oils and applied a wash and some stains/streaks. After that was done, I used a needle to apply some CA in some of the cracks, then used some Woodland Scenics Static Grass Flock, which was pressed into place in the CA. After about 10 seconds, I just blew away the excess and here's what I got......

30283759550_574d4e8a9a_b.jpg

30283759070_d73c4bc673_b.jpg

30495141181_c23ec6c6ea_b.jpg

I may go back and darken the grass a little. We'll see what the rest of the ground looks like after it's done. I may not have to change much, actually.

(EDIT: Pics appear to be a success. Let me know if you guys have any issues in viewing them, though).

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Base is now complete!

I got the groundwork added. Here you can see where I've coated one half with the sifted gravel and the other side just applied (pink spackle that dries white).

30306399260_588b94e474_b.jpg

After the gravel was applied and the excess shaken off, I allowed it to dry for a bit before adding more of the static grass. I decided that it was much too light and kind of frosty looking (would actually be good for representing a cold morning with a light frost!), so I decided to paint it. As you can see here, one half has been painted with a darker green, for comparison.

30606416705_030c87d5de_b.jpg

And then the rest of the grass, followed by the exposed ground, which was the dried white spackle, using a brown color.

29972556923_25cae4bd26_c.jpg

Once it was complete, it was time to see how it all looks together......